Strategy Welcome James Frawley to the HFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
It's just makes sense - unrestricted free agent and the perfect full back to replace Brian Lake. Me thinks James and the club are merely putting the finishing touches on a solid three year deal :)

Imagine a spine of Frawley, Shoenmakers/ Heatherley, Mckevoy, O'Brien, Roughead.

Haven't you lot had enough happiness lately? :(

Sorry headless - just having a bit of fun. On a serious note I really hope he stays with the dees, if he did go it would be deveststing for both the club and fans. Personally I think he will stay - so long as the club does improve and head in the right direction.

Sorry headless - just having a bit of fun. On a serious note I really hope he stays with the dees, if he did go it would be deveststing for both the club and fans. Personally I think he will stay - so long as the club does improve and head in the right direction.

Sad for the Dees, it would be an impressive show of loyalty considering how tough the last few years have been.
I can't see him staying, he will leave for more stability and potential success with good dollars thrown in.
The hawks would be a fair chance, but there will many hats thrown into the ring....

Of the teams who would seriously look at getting him and possibly paying overs (us), you'd have to say we'll have the ability to offer the biggest contract. Sewell, Mitchell, Hodge, Burgers, Lake, Gibbo etc., all retiring in the next 1-3 years means we should be able to offer big back loaded contracts. I'd be content with Frawley, Fyfe, Dangerfield and Cotchin lining up for us in 2016.

Just a gut feel but I think if Dees show enough this year he will resign.
To me as good as frawley is - my attention would be focused on mids. I look everywhere else over the park and we seemingly have the spots generally covered for next 5 years (I could be mistaken) Birchal/Stratton/Suckers/Dureya HBF/BP - Shoe/Heatherly KPB, McEvoy ruck. Gunston/Rough/OBrien KPF, breust, Cyril, SF - its the onballers/utilities that are needed to replace Mitch, Hodge, Burgoyne, Sewell.

Unrestricted means that he can come if he wants, but he isn't going to be getting paid the massive dollars. He will need to make a choice at the end of the year, go for the money, or try for the glory. Perhaps Lake could have a word to him or how things could turn out for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why can't we do both?
Frawley as a FA and trade for a mid.
If we can pull it off that would be great. It just strikes me that getting Frawley here would take big dollars that I think could probably be better spent elsewhere.

As for our young mids, like Jed, a lot of them look very talented, but very soon we're going to lose Hodge, Mitchell and Burgers, meanwhile we're going to start having to play clubs like GC and GWS who by then will have entire midfields full of very high draft picks hitting their prime years. I'm not sure that the guys we have are going to be able to compete with what some other clubs are going to be able to put out there. Now maybe our coaching and gameplan will mean that it won't matter, or maybe some of our guys will really come on and be top shelf. Who knows.

Last year we actually won a lot of games without our real A graders having to carry us, but in really tough games against the top sides time and time again we saw Burgers or Mitch or Hodge move into the middle and make it happen. If we had two elite midfield prospects I'd be much happier. If they come from our current list all the better, we certainly have some guys with great potential.

I absolutely trust the club to have all of this well in hand by the way. We've certainly fixed out outside run deficiency over the last few drafts.

Frawley is a MUST imo, while simultaneously working on getting a mid or two also.

Re Mundy; altho not sold completely but warming to it the question for me is whether Halla, Woody and Langers will make it (i know Jed will) and how quickly. If we were to win another flag or two with Mundy at the expense of giving games to the above 3 in the meantime I would take it - but only if any of them werent gonna make it.

I guess it is also very dependant on how long Sewell et all keep going for.

if one or particularly two of Sewell Burgs, Mitch and Hodge were to hang up the boots next year, then Mundy and one of the youngsters to replace them with another thereabouts would seem balanced.

All said, I would like to see us net Frawley and a young gun mid each from GC and GWS setting us up for the foseeable future.

Carn'a Hawks, do it!

Re Mundy; altho not sold completely but warming to it the question for me is whether Halla, Woody and Langers will make it (i know Jed will) and how quickly. If we were to win another flag or two with Mundy at the expense of giving games to the above 3 in the meantime I would take it - but only if any of them werent gonna make it.

I guess it is also very dependant on how long Sewell et all keep going for.

if one or particularly two of Sewell Burgs, Mitch and Hodge were to hang up the boots next year, then Mundy and one of the youngsters to replace them with another thereabouts would seem balanced.

At 29 at the start of next season i think the Mundy ship may have sailed, nice player and would have been a good pickup last contract i can't see us pulling the trigger on him. Rucks and KPP are a bit different for mine age wise when bringing them in. If we bring in a mid i'd hope for 26 or younger.

At 29 at the start of next season i think the Mundy ship may have sailed, nice player and would have been a good pickup last contract i can't see us pulling the trigger on him. Rucks and KPP are a bit different for mine age wise when bringing them in. If we bring in a mid i'd hope for 26 or younger.

So just a 7 or 8 year deal then ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back