Strategy Welcome James Frawley to the HFC

Remove this Banner Ad

I want Hallahan to get 12.

Woody will stay at 39 as a tribute to Bailey.
Langers will stay in 29 after winning a flag in it (see Rioli)
Anderson to get 9 after Silk retires next year (sacred Hawthorn number, handed down from one indigenous player to another, right next to 10 Hill as close mates)
Hartung to get Mitch's number in a couple of seasons.

Sorry Chip, but you're going to have to get a high number

Not that you are, but you really shouldn't be worried about what you're giving Frawley. He'll be worth every cent. Personally, I think he'll be better than what any of you guys think he is capable of. I've always, though it may have been bias, thought that Frawley was the best defender in the comp, well at least 2010, 2011 and I'd be surprised if he wasn't the best come the end of next year. Here's why:

-One on one he is brilliant.
- He's the fastest KPD in the AFL and one of the strongest.
- His only downfall to me is his disposal, however, this will naturally improve as targets ahead won't be stationary and if he's under pressure the likes of Suckling, Hodge, Birchall, (Uh god this makes me sick)Hill, Burgoyne and Mitchell will be more than happy to take it off his hands and slot it down someones throat.
- The ball went inside the oppositions 50 more times then our own for probably 80% of Frawleys career. That will be more like 30% at Hawthorn, and the way it comes in, not relentless, precise and under minimal pressure such as it was at Melbourne, but most of the time long floating kicks under pressure will make it that much easier to defend.
- Also note, he only had something like 21 goals kicked against him in his AA year in 2010. That in a team who lost by 8 goals every 2nd week.
- He's versatile, he'll be your best option to play on Taylor Walker, and he'll be your best option to play on Eddie Betts.
- Disregard his recent form and apparent attitude problems, he's never been a forward in his life, and you can't expect in the last couple of rounds of the season when you know your leaving this worst club in 25 years, to find some incredible form when they put you back as a defender again. It only takes a year of playing in the completely opposite position on the ground for people to quickly forget how good you were at your actual favoured position.

This post is full of goo, and probably not what you expect from a supporter of a team which the player just left, but he's been playing in a s**t side for years now and deserves to play in a bloody good one for once, and besides we did get great compensation for him (Mind you come june it will be completely justified). Congratulations on nabbing him, you're now some how more of a powerhouse then what you already were. The fact he will make Lake and Gibsons (Especially Gibsons) role a hell of a lot easier, and thus probably make them better players is a little scary. I hope he destroys all talls and smalls he plays on, expect for when he lines up on Hogan, may he kick 10.

Not that you are, but you really shouldn't be worried about what you're giving Frawley. He'll be worth every cent. Personally, I think he'll be better than what any of you guys think he is capable of. I've always, though it may have been bias, thought that Frawley was the best defender in the comp, well at least 2010, 2011 and I'd be surprised if he wasn't the best come the end of next year. Here's why:

-One on one he is brilliant.
- He's the fastest KPD in the AFL and one of the strongest.
- His only downfall to me is his disposal, however, this will naturally improve as targets ahead won't be stationary and if he's under pressure the likes of Suckling, Hodge, Birchall, (Uh god this makes me sick)Hill, Burgoyne and Mitchell will be more than happy to take it off his hands and slot it down someones throat.
- The ball went inside the oppositions 50 more times then our own for probably 80% of Frawleys career. That will be more like 30% at Hawthorn, and the way it comes in, not relentless, precise and under minimal pressure such as it was at Melbourne, but most of the time long floating kicks under pressure will make it that much easier to defend.
- Also note, he only had something like 21 goals kicked against him in his AA year in 2010. That in a team who lost by 8 goals every 2nd week.
- He's versatile, he'll be your best option to play on Taylor Walker, and he'll be your best option to play on Eddie Betts.
- Disregard his recent form and apparent attitude problems, he's never been a forward in his life, and you can't expect in the last couple of rounds of the season when you know your leaving this worst club in 25 years, to find some incredible form when they put you back as a defender again. It only takes a year of playing in the completely opposite position on the ground for people to quickly forget how good you were at your actual favoured position.

This post is full of goo, and probably not what you expect from a supporter of a team which the player just left, but he's been playing in a s**t side for years now and deserves to play in a bloody good one for once, and besides we did get great compensation for him (Mind you come june it will be completely justified). Congratulations on nabbing him, you're now some how more of a powerhouse then what you already were. The fact he will make Lake and Gibsons (Especially Gibsons) role a hell of a lot easier, and thus probably make them better players is a little scary. I hope he destroys all talls and smalls he plays on, expect for when he lines up on Hogan, may he kick 10.
Nice post. Very nicely done.

It is big money but if you want to tempt a 26 year old key defender that is what you have to do I guess. It is probably the toughest player type to acquire.

He is experienced but has yet to play a final or possibly even a really important match in his entire career. That lack of exposure is a bit of a question mark for me in terms of '15.

The huge positive is Frawley's age. A key defender is in their prime between 28 and 32 IMO. That is when experience, fitness, strength, savvy and an understanding with other backline members all truly align.

First port of call will be to strip a few kg's of bulk off him, and then get his field kicking up to scratch a bit.

It is big money but if you want to tempt a 26 year old key defender that is what you have to do I guess. It is probably the toughest player type to acquire.

He is experienced but has yet to play a final or possibly even a really important match in his entire career. That lack of exposure is a bit of a question mark for me in terms of '15.

The huge positive is Frawley's age. A key defender is in their prime between 28 and 32 IMO. That is when experience, fitness, strength, savvy and an understanding with other backline members all truly align.

First port of call will be to strip a few kg's of bulk off him, and then get his field kicking up to scratch a bit.

he would be on similar money to Lake wouldn't he?, they would be similar types as well (great 1 on 1 defenders with questionable use of the footy at times)............

I want Hallahan to get 12.

Woody will stay at 39 as a tribute to Bailey.
Langers will stay in 29 after winning a flag in it (see Rioli)
Anderson to get 9 after Silk retires next year (sacred Hawthorn number, handed down from one indigenous player to another, right next to 10 Hill as close mates)
Hartung to get Mitch's number in a couple of seasons.

Sorry Chip, but you're going to have to get a high number

#1 is there.

Hey stevoswan, Thanks to the swans for giving us the cap space to sign Frawley to a deal way less than he is worth, and was offered by other clubs. It's how we do at Hawthorn, sign players that want to play here for coin that reasonable and fair to the rest of the list. How does it feel knowing your COLA helped us sign Frawley, making us all that much better than you guys than we already were? Enjoy your COLA, we are.

We now need ball winning hard inside mids
Woody, Langers, Anderson, Whitecross, Hallahan - We have depth but your point stands. How will they compare to who they are replacing in Hodgem Mitchell, Sewell and Burgoyne??
I think Langers will be an upgrade on Sewell, so that is covered. Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne are all near best in class in their respective positions. Hodge is the best HB general and pinch hitting mid in the comp by a mile. You can't just replace that easily. Burgoyne is one of the best game changers in the comp by a mile, you can't just replace that easily. Mitchell is known as "the extractor" and widely regarded as the best clearance player in the comp since Diesel Williams, you can't just replace that easily. I would still look to bring a star in that you can build the rest of the midfield around.

Any news as to what number Frawley will get?
Surely he gets #12 now that Sewell has retired...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How friggin good is this footy club of ours?
They should be called the Canadian Mounties because they always get their man.
the+mountie.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back