Strategy Welcome James Frawley to the HFC

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe I read that it was being caused by an underlying problem which was fixed by surgery.

Found it: http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2014-05-08/brian-lake-undergoes-surgery-.workstation

He had the same surgery the first time and it happened again/didn't fix it. Seemed to come good the second time but it might be something that could occur again.

I don't think he's done but I would be very surprised if he made it to a fourth year with us and would be mildly surprised if he got through 2015 without a few weeks out due to injury.

He had the same surgery the first time and it happened again/didn't fix it. Seemed to come good the second time but it might be something that could occur again.

I don't think he's done but I would be very surprised if he made it to a fourth year with us and would be mildly surprised if he got through 2015 without a few weeks out due to injury.
Yeah no doubt he will need some weeks off throughout the year, only really need him for September.
I think the expectation should be for him to play 15 games including finals. The other 10 games should be used for the development of Brand/Heatherly/Schoe

I'll be happy if he can just play half a dozen H & A games then a big finals series again!

Yep, a Hawthorn mate said to me before the finals this year that if our most important player is fit and plays all the finals, we were there.

His view is that Brian Lake is the most important player.
Not the best, but the most important.

I had to buy him a few extra champagnes!

Yep, a Hawthorn mate said to me before the finals this year that if our most important player is fit and plays all the finals, we were there.

A mate as in a player or a supporter?

And this is one of the reasons Frawley was such an important get.

Still can't get my head around the numnuts who didn't think it was a good idea.

If we had Lake in 2012 we probably have already done the 3 peat....

You can hope for the best with our up & comers, but we've picked up 2 top shelf, A grade defenders, who are vital to us going forward.

One is a maybe 2 more year option, the other is a 5-6 year option, & don't forget Gibbo ain't getting any younger!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

frawley-a-hawk.jpg

Didn't Lake have a cyst which was causing the issue with his calf, and the reason he had the 2nd occurrence was that the original surgery failed to remove all of it???

Woody, Langers, Anderson, Whitecross, Hallahan - We have depth but your point stands. How will they compare to who they are replacing in Hodgem Mitchell, Sewell and Burgoyne??
I think Langers will be an upgrade on Sewell, so that is covered. Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne are all near best in class in their respective positions. Hodge is the best HB general and pinch hitting mid in the comp by a mile. You can't just replace that easily. Burgoyne is one of the best game changers in the comp by a mile, you can't just replace that easily. Mitchell is known as "the extractor" and widely regarded as the best clearance player in the comp since Diesel Williams, you can't just replace that easily. I would still look to bring a star in that you can build the rest of the midfield around.

Yep we are never going to replace those three with like-for-likes, so for mine it's about having more A/B graders than A+ like those guys. Lewis, Shiels, Hill, Smith, Langers all look like they could get there, maybe Lewis is A grade already. If Hartung, Woody, Jed and JOR get there, then we'll have covered Hodge, Mitch and Burgers.

Yep we are never going to replace those three with like-for-likes, so for mine it's about having more A/B graders than A+ like those guys. Lewis, Shiels, Hill, Smith, Langers all look like they could get there, maybe Lewis is A grade already. If Hartung, Woody, Jed and JOR get there, then we'll have covered Hodge, Mitch and Burgers.
Langers individual success should inspire the others. Would love Langers as a Captain one day

If Lake was not available, we would have been relying on Shoey in the GF and that would have meant at least 5 goals to Tippett + all the momentum that comes with it... Could have been a different ball game.

Frawley adds assurance in our backline, and will be our #1 key defender for the next 5-6 years.

Lake will be managed through 2015, barring any injuries or suspensions you would imagine that the club would pencil him in for about 15 games but I think he will retire after next season as a 3 time premiership player :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back