Toast Welcome Matt Dick

Remove this Banner Ad

I fail to see how this guy fits into our side. I know we have need for speed, but considering he isnt starting 22, my question becomes - Where does he fit into the side? Who/what role does he become depth for? Touhy as a back pocket type who can play on both tall/small and rebound? Kade Simpson type on the wing? Yarran as the line breaker off half back?

Seems to be a bit of all those but not convincing in any based on the very little I know of him. Interesting selection and I will have faith we know what we want with this aquisition however nothing obvious springs to mind in terms of role other than the fact we simply need speed, he was delisted from a very strong club and he fits the age bracket we are keen on (20-24 y.o.)

Edit - Perhaps more of a Docherty type player and depth if he goes down?

Last edited:

I fail to see how this guy fits into our side. I know we have need for speed, but considering he isnt starting 22, my question becomes - Where does he fit into the side? Who/what role does he become depth for? Touhy as a back pocket type who can play on both tall/small and rebound? Kade Simpson type on the wing? Yarran as the line breaker off half back?

I reckon it's got something to do with the 13 player turnover, we need to conjure depth in youth and talent from wherever we can find it

OK so who?

In this situation, what's the deal? Given that he hasnt played, Is it something like Rogers must have rated him in the draft ?

Seems like he was on our radar, so yeah, good pick up.

How does this work in regards to draft picks, do we just not have a late pick now??

Still looking at 4 ND (19, 28, 61, 65) + 1 PSD (Tutt).
If we don't sign up Ellard then we can go for another pick in either draft or another DFA.

In this situation, what's the deal? Given that he hasnt played, Is it something like Rogers must have rated him in the draft ?

That seems to be the case.

Dick didn't make it at the Swans but we're only two years out from his draft year and at 20 years old he's clearly young enough to make good of a second chance if he's got the talent to do so.

We're giving Dick a second opportunity rather than using pick 79 at the draft so quite simply the recruiting staff will have evaluated whether they believe they will be able to select someone better than Dick at that selection.

Can't have many complaints about this move. We're giving a young kid with two years development at one of the best clubs in the competition a second chance to make it at AFL level. Whether Dick makes good of that second chance remains to be seen but you can certainly see the logic behind the selection. We've got that list spot to fill and this represents a very low risk move without having to give up anything.

no shame in the kid not getting a game in a team which has come 2nd, 3rd and 2nd in the last few years. Doesn't mean he cannot play
Yep.

Nothing says he can play at AFL level either, but not breaking into the Swans team in the last few years at 18/19 yrs of age, is no black mark against you that's for sure

Just ask Tom Mitchell how hard it is to get a game there ... and that's after he had already proven he can be a jet at AFL level.

Hope he pins his ears back and plays like he has a point to prove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no shame in the kid not getting a game in a team which has come 2nd, 3rd and 2nd in the last few years. Doesn't mean he cannot play

Jordan Lockyer was highly touted from the same draft and also given the chop from SYD. Both HBF'ers an area SYD needs to replenish with their ageing defence.

Hopefully they've jumped the gun and we've nabbed a gem from beyond.

Only from the reports would I list him as an option to play on small forwards as a back pocket. Tuohy, Sheehan, Docherty, Simpson, Buckley ahead in the pecking order down back as we stand.

Jordan Lockyer was highly touted from the same draft and also given the chop from SYD. Both HBF'ers an area SYD needs to replenish with their ageing defence.

Hopefully they've jumped the gun and we've nabbed a gem from beyond.

Only from the reports would I list him as an option to play on small forwards as a back pocket. Tuohy, Sheehan, Docherty, Simpson, Buckley ahead in the pecking order down back as we stand.
Couple of those blokes might be looking to push up through the midfield in the next year or two, so if Matt starts to show a bit in our program, he may just get an opportunity.

Dick for Hiscox? Geez, it's hard to not make jokes when the universe keeps providing in this way! :(

Anyhow, welcome Matt :thumbsu:
I can just imagine Bruce if Hiscox is playing...

And there is Hiscox unloading straight down the spine...

You couldnt get any better comedy relief

His parents are awful people.

Jack Hiscox.

REALLY?
Could have been worse... they could have been bogans and gone for something like Jax as his first name...

I can just imagine Bruce if Hiscox is playing...

And there is Hiscox unloading straight down the spine...

You couldnt get any better comedy relief

...pushed Hiscox in the back...Hiscox goes bang...gets outmarked by Hiscox...grabs Hiscox too high...Hiscox in an off the ball incident...climbs up Hiscox...Hiscox goes long...etc, etc

About time. We finally have Dick in hand. :thumbsu:

Welcome Matt.
Poor form, making fun of his name. He can't help it if his name is Matt.

images

Could be a good get, fit's the requirements as described for what we want in a smaller defender which is a tallish player who can play smaller, quick and can kick and tackle. Fits our age group really well.

A few years ago I was real critical of us taking too many small/medium defenders and rightfully so. The problem was we were overlooking more important types to acquire these types and most of what we were picking up were duds. Now after a few years good clean out most of them are gone and we have been found wanting depth in the good medium defender range. IMO he balances up the list, is ready to go and could be an injury or two away from making an AFL debut. Perhaps could help push others like Walker or Yarran or Docherty or Simpson elsewhere.

Statistically I see a guy coming from pretty far back but showing good improvement. Some of these quicker types get by on pace alone and don't learn to read the game until late so might be worth persisting with. Haven't seen much of him at all so can't wait for presesason games to get a look at these new guys.

God luck to young Matty, hope he has a great career at the Blues.

Let's put it into perspective, not everyone we pick up is going to fit into our 22, but what we want is someone who is able to come in and cover an injury or someone elses poor form without causing too much of a weakness in the side or even being able to fill that spot to the point that the injured or poor performing person has to earn their spot to get back into the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back