List Mgmt. Welcome new rookies: Sean McLaren, Nic Newman, Lewis Melican, Jordan Foote

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Sean McLaren from the Sandy Dragons!! Will have to hunt down some info.

Sean McLaren

DOB: 10/01/96

Height/Weight: 197cm/91kg

Junior club: Beaumaris

In a nutshell: Bottom-ager. Good mix of size, speed and endurance. Ability to play as a key forward or ruckman.

ROC says: “I also think that Sean is another young player who doesn’t realise how much impact he can have on the game just yet. Look out when he does as I think he’s going to be a very exciting footballer. He has taken some really good marks late in games and kicked crucial goals to get us over the line. It has been really good to see a young fella get his chance and really stake a claim.”

http://www.sandringhamdragons.com.au/www/content/default.aspx?cid=981&fid=956

That being said the AFL draft combine site lists him as a tall defender. So who ******* knows.

This versatile big man has shown he can spend quality minutes in both defence and the ruck. McLaren was part of the AIS program and played largely in defence for Vic Metro, using his good closing speed to keep highly rated Hugh Goddard in check. At TAC Cup level, the Dragons used his 197cm frame in the ruck, where he used his athleticism around the ground to impact contests. Is constantly improving and looks a good key position prospect who can provide valuable support in the ruck.

Last edited:
Nic Newman next up formerly of Frankston.

An outstanding season saw Newman go from Frankston's development team in 2013 to second in its senior best and fairest in 2014. He's a terrific athlete and a prolific ball winner. Newman generally plays as a medium defender but can move up into the midfield. The 21-year-old averaged 24 touches at 70 per cent efficiency for the Dolphins.

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Best of luck to these guys. They will have a good chance given our record with Rookies.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Who drafted Jed Lamb? Lets go over to their board and mock them :)

It's meant to read Tom Lamb who was picked up by the Eagles, not Jed.

What sort of player is Foote?
Couldn't find any info as yet, apart from the fact he played for the 'Bra Saints as did Abe Davis.

Height: 182cm
Weight: 74kg
Pos: Midfielder

A member of the Sydney Swans Academy, Foote is a hard-working, medium-sized midfielder. The 18-year-old played a key role in the NSW/ACT side that took out this year's division two Under-18s title and was also selected in the Allies side that took on the AFL Academy Under-17 All Australian team in the curtain raiser to this year's Grand Final. In three matches in the under-18 championships, he averaged more than 15 touches and almost three tackles per game.

The above info was posted on another Swans exclusive football board. Not sure the regulations on referring to such sites so I'll leave the link off just in case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Well done , looking forward to seeing them play.
Newman is rapt to be heading to the swans
I like what I have read about melican , wanna see how he develops.
Im all about Newman, good kick of the footy coming out of the back half of the ground and reads the ball really well. Could be a Mal replacement? It all depends how he handles the step up.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Unfortunately not though I have no idea why. I am somewhat surprised no one took a punt on Roos either.
Also surprised no one took a punt on Hartley. I thought we would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back