Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm saying that #2 and #3 ruckman who aresnt getting a gig at other clubs (not ours), who may be very very good, can potentially be lured with pretty much the same pick without the risk/money/time/effort etc etc. I'm not saying...we already have 2 rucks so no need.

With McBean, Elton, Griff , Vickery not sure we will need a ruck after Maric retires

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Elton FF/Ruck, McBean Ruck/wherevever, Griff, back/forward/pinch hit ruck, TV Ruck/forward.

no need for a pure ruck it seems

Either way, I'm sure multi position rucks will still be available in a few years time. So personally I would have gone with the best available player rather than Beano and try get one of those guys instead.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm saying that #2 and #3 ruckman who arent getting a gig at other clubs (not ours), who may be very very good, can potentially be lured with pretty much the same pick without the risk/money/time/effort etc etc. I'm not saying...we already have 2 rucks so no need.

yes i understand your point i was just saying macca can be played in other positions and isnt pidgeon holed as a ruck. in general its pretty rare to get a ruck to come as a backup. also your second ruck must play a different role than a ruck most likely a tall fwd. you also have to consider who you have and where all are going to play. i have said i want big tom d to be given the sole ruck at the burgers so we really know if he will make and not some hash job it has been over the years with gus and browne. the beauty of mcbean is he will be given all the time to develop either in the 3rd's or as a fwd/back tall. i think we have been extremely lucky to get maric.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
McBean isnt just a Ruckman , He will be multi position player that can ruck
CHF - FF- CHB-FB this kid has the footy smarts to play anyone of these positions , sure he is not your Riewoldt but will certainly be a massive mismatch when required.

I personally see his best position as a backman that can pinch hit in the Ruck , Keefe,Trengove type

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Either way, I'm sure multi position rucks will still be available in a few years time. So personally I would have gone with the best available player rather than Beano and try get one of those guys instead.

Not sure Beano was not best available although a project. The cream of the crop fell away a bit quicker than some may suggest IMO

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
yes i understand your point i was just saying macca can be played in other positions and isnt pidgeon holed as a ruck. in general its pretty rare to get a ruck to come as a backup. also your second ruck must play a different role than a ruck most likely a tall fwd. you also have to consider who you have and where all are going to play. i have said i want big tom d to be given the sole ruck at the burgers so we really know if he will make and not some hash job it has been over the years with gus and browne. the beauty of mcbean is he will be given all the time to develop either in the 3rd's or as a fwd/back tall. i think we have been extremely lucky to get maric.

Yer fair point. It is certainly good that he can play other roles. Let's hope he becomes a superstar. :D

Dragonss

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New Orlean Hornets
Pros:
Good kicking skills, mismatch height, richmond supporter, seems to be a good character, can play multiple positions

Cons:
Underweight as a ruck and seems to be like he'll be man-handled too easily, rumors that he's afraid of contact

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
McBean was best available...he just happened to be a ruck.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Not sure Beano was not best available although a project. The cream of the crop fell away a bit quicker than some may suggest IMO
Correct.

Pros:
Good kicking skills, mismatch height, richmond supporter, seems to be a good character, can play multiple positions

Thanks Captain Obvious. :p

Rich o man

All Australian
Oct 19, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
Richmond
Hopefully his St. Bernard's pedigree holds him in good stead. If he can have a career that comes close to the following AFL ruckman from his school I think we will be happy.

Simon Madden
Justin Madden
Steven O'Dwyer

All Victorian players
All Best and Fairest at their clubs

You could also add Joe Daniher into the list as another potential ruckman from St. Bernard's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riskingheadandshin

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Pros:

Cons:
Underweight as a ruck and seems to be like he'll be man-handled too easily, rumors that he's afraid of contact
So would you/I if you were going to get snapped in half.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
IWe saw how easy it was to snag Maric

Or we could trade away a first round pick and end up with someone on par with Cameron Wood.

We did well with the Maric trade (knock on wood that he backs it up in the following years) but you can't bank on that being the norm.

plough

All Australian
Jun 22, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
Am quite liking the early twitter work of the kid. Seems a bit of a joker....

Stitched up two of the other new blokes already, one to go!

http://t.co/m1JE97LS
http://t.co/HndIVrck

cheeky reference to dayle garlett?
bbede03af51711e1827612313814176c_7.jpg

Am quite liking the early twitter work of the kid. Seems a bit of a joker....

Stitched up two of the other new blokes already, one to go!

http://t.co/m1JE97LS
http://t.co/HndIVrck

watched his video interview with Newman, basically said Rance was great value for a bit of fun. Reckon the kid might follow him a bit and become a bit of a larrikin at the club. :thumbsu:

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
watched his video interview with Newman, basically said Rance was great value for a bit of fun. Reckon the kid might follow him a bit and become a bit of a larrikin at the club. :thumbsu:

Tross Mk II.

Why stereo type this kid as ruckman. He may not be as good as Joe Danhier as a full forward, however, he can play as a utility. This kid has great skills and if he had been an extra 10 kg in weight, could easily have been a top top ten pick. The only reason he fell through to our second round pick was because of his slight build. Play this kid as a winger if he is up to it. The problem this would cause for other teams would be enormous. For f..k sake he runs like a midfielder and has fantastic skills. I have no problems with him playing ruck once he develops the body but don't just think he has to be parked in the 2's. He is better than that. Will be better than Elton IMO and most the other tall developing players on our list... This kid is a little special.

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
Why stereo type this kind as ruckman. He may not be as good as Joe Danhier as a full forward, however, he can play as a utility. This kid has great skills and if he had been an extra 10 kg in weight, could easily have been a top top ten pick. The only reason he fell through to our second round pick was because of his slight build. Play this kid as a winger if he is up to it. The problem this would cause for other teams would be enormous. For f..k sake he runs like a midfielder and has fantastic skills. I have no problems with him playing ruck once he develops the body but don't just think he has to be parked in the 2's. He is better than that. Will be better than Elton IMO and most the other tall developing players on our list... This kid is a little special.

Imagine a 203cm Wingman. Who would play on him? good luck. I hope he lives up to some people expectations would be great

Why stereo type this kid as ruckman. He may not be as good as Joe Danhier as a full forward, however, he can play as a utility. This kid has great skills and if he had been an extra 10 kg in weight, could easily have been a top top ten pick. The only reason he fell through to our second round pick was because of his slight build. Play this kid as a winger if he is up to it. The problem this would cause for other teams would be enormous. For f..k sake he runs like a midfielder and has fantastic skills. I have no problems with him playing ruck once he develops the body but don't just think he has to be parked in the 2's. He is better than that. Will be better than Elton IMO and most the other tall developing players on our list... This kid is a little special.
Yep agree. Don't see him being a number 1 ruckman. Maybe as a 5 minute a qtr bloke who can run all day and play various roles.

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
Richo ignited his a career out on the wing and was a nightmare for clubs to match up on him.

Richo was only 196cm I say take away number 12 from Astbury and give it to Mcbeen if thats the role the club plans on
using him for.

Bit off the topic but i don't think Astbury was ever or will be worthy to wear that number. Highly overrated IMO

Richo ignited his a career out on the wing and was a nightmare for clubs to match up on him.

Richo was only 196cm I say take away number 12 from Astbury and give it to Mcbeen if thats the role the club plans on
using him for.

Bit off the topic but i don't think Astbury was ever or will be worthy to wear that number. Highly overrated IMO
You could be right, however, he has had a bad injury and I'm prepared to give him this year to show us that he has something to offer. I would like to see him make good progress. End of the year if he has not improved at all then we may have to think hard about his position at the club. There are a number of young talls on our list that will need to stand up, those that are good enough will come through. Astbury will have to earn a spot and we need to understand that injury has held him back. He needs more time. Sorry to get of topic this is a LM post.

Back