List Mgmt. Welcome Pick 62 - Matthew Allen

Remove this Banner Ad

This midfield talk is BS. Please stop, you're embarrassing yourselves.

Won't be a full time mid. Can be a pinch hitter. Most likely to be a key forward that leads from the goal square against some opponents and uses his running ability to present up the field and turn his opponent at other times. If he can get his opponent chasing him and running back to goal, he will be very very difficult to stop in a marking contest.

Could be a bust, could be a gem. Development and how he is used will be critical.

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 2m2 minutes ago

"I'm stoked to be here. Everyone has been really welcoming." Draftee Matt Allen meets the media #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 2m2 minutes ago

"I'm living with Jack Darling. He's said to just soak it in." - Allen #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 1m1 minute ago

"Overhead marking is a strength of mine, I will be looking to work on my defence and endurance." -Allen

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 36s37 seconds ago

"I'm really excited to be here and to play my role in the footy club." -Allen [ends]

#Upthe'SCoasters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too soon to talk about Jacks marking. I'm still haunted.
His marking was tapering off toward the end of the season tbf.

Lamb and won't let those get past his iron grip

This page says he is 194cm.

Also said he had 28 touches, 13 marks and 6 goals in round 1 of the SANFL colts this year.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/maccas_cup/draft_hub/matt_allen/

Followed it up with another 6 goals in round 2 as well before he started school footy. Can mark and kick goals.
Second efforts and defensive pressure will be critical. Has a good engine so will develop in to a really strong runner.

I was impressed with his press conference. He spoke exceptionally well. He has a very mature attitude.

DJ75. Very happy with this pick, I was wondering if you could tell us about Matt's kicking? In the highlights package you don't really see him let rip, and mainly seems to kick the ball 40-45m. Can he kick the ball much further than that?

Followed it up with another 6 goals in round 2 as well before he started school footy. Can mark and kick goals.
Second efforts and defensive pressure will be critical. Has a good engine so will develop in to a really strong runner.

I was impressed with his press conference. He spoke exceptionally well. He has a very mature attitude.

Yep seems to just get the job done and consistently kick goals at whatever level.

Exciting prospect to have on the list.

Game Log
DATE
OPPOSITION Goals Behinds
Sat 11/Apr Sturt 6 5
Sat 18/Apr Central District 6 1
Fri 24/Apr North Adelaide 3 3
Sat 18/Jul South Adelaide 5 2
Sat 29/Aug Sturt 6 0

Previous Seasons
COMPETITION
SEASON Games Goals
2015 SANFL U18 Macca's Cup 2015 5 26

2015 SANFL Reserves 2015 3 6

2014 SANFL U18 Macca's Cup 2014 2 4

Macca's Talent Shield U16s 2013 2013 6 19

DJ75. Very happy with this pick, I was wondering if you could tell us about Matt's kicking? In the highlights package you don't really see him let rip, and mainly seems to kick the ball 40-45m. Can he kick the ball much further than that?

He has a big leg, although strangely inconsistent. He tested really well in the kicking at the Combine, but does seem to have a lot of 5 goal 5 behind type games. I think it can be improved upon pretty quickly though. Can certainly kick 50m without much trouble.

Seems a no brainer KPF pick.

Wonder what the knocks on him are to be a pick ~60 in a weak draft.

Anyone tapped up knightmare on him?

I did, see if I can find da answerz

Flexibility, agility, defensive pressure as well as a pre existing back injury that may curtail his career. (should have still gone higher than he did)

This is pretty much correct. At this stage Matt is a lead, mark, kick player. I've seen him play through the midfield and do well, but he hasn't been given enough opportunity there to really learn it and show what he can do. Only his school really did that for him. For most others he played forward.
Had he been able to show enough through the mids you wouldn't have had a pick high enough to get him! The boy can play.

Deficiencies are really to do with his agility, turning circle and ability to get involved once the ball hits the ground.

I'd have him working with a running/agility coach asap. Improve this bit and you will have made a great selection.

Seems a no brainer KPF pick.

Wonder what the knocks on him are to be a pick ~60 in a weak draft.

Anyone tapped up knightmare on him?
He still hasnt had a full preseason of any sorts (i read some where) and i guess that would have affected his form/development a bit in recent years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back