Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could do worse than Neil Craig.

What does a "Director of Coaching" actually do, anyway? Is it in-case we get a Brendan Floggard type who wants to make a movie?
"Quick, this way, Bolts. Take the back door".

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
"Quick, this way, Bolts. Take the back door".
director.jpg

teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
Some Adelaide people suggest that Dangerfield being where he is, is in some part due to Neil Craig's development of him while at the club.

If true, that's gotta be a tick in the right box for him to be involved at the Blues?

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My biggest concern regarding his acquisition is determining what value he will bring to our football department. Would that income be better spent on skills coaches who could work with individual players improve their marking, kicking and hand balling? Never have I seen such a poorly skilled side in executing basic skills.

We have increased our football department spending significantly over the years for very little return. I have never seen such a poor development culture with a VFL struggling to compete let alone win, and senior footballers with sub AFL standard disposal. Will the hiring of more chiefs address this?

Dirk Diggler

A bit off topic, but there has been plenty of chatter about Craig in this and other threads.

I don't know his background in detail, but my is this:

At Adelaide, the team was quite successful for a number of years but fell away badly at the end
Craig was very strong on fitness, training regime and strategy
On the flipside, he was very strict, perhaps too much of a taskmaster and lost the players at the end
I am ignoring Melbourne/* tenures as too short / somewhat irrelevant

Based off that, I think he could be a good director of coaching.

Could be experienced and knowledgeable with good initiatives. But he would have Bolts as a buffer underneath so that he doesn't alienate the players.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Interesting listening to Damian Hardwick on SEN tonight. They were talking about Nathan Freeman and player development and Hardwick said at Richmond they try to identify in the first year or so those players with the traits to play AFL. Not necessarily the best players in the VFL but those that can handle the structures and running patterns (for example) to play the modern game.

He made a comment that once they identify these type of guys they try to give them regular senior games because, and I quote, " if you play in the VFL for too long you become a VFL player".

Reckon this has relevance to Carltons lack of development in keeping guys in the twos for too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kingkingston

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
Interesting listening to Damian Hardwick on SEN tonight. They were talking about Nathan Freeman and player development and Hardwick said at Richmond they try to identify in the first year or so those players with the traits to play AFL. Not necessarily the best players in the VFL but those that can handle the structures and running patterns (for example) to play the modern game.

He made a comment that once they identify these type of guys they try to give them regular senior games because, and I quote, " if you play in the VFL for too long you become a VFL player".

Reckon this has relevance to Carltons lack of development in keeping guys in the twos for too long.

i think that statement is wrong. Clubs get way too much credit for player development when players are drafted because they are talented footballers, it is not like clubs draft players with no skill and then add skill to the players. Most of the time a player has the skills, he just needs a few years getting his body in the shape he needs it to play at the highest level

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat

Nah, if anything we throw our young fellas to the wolves.
I'd like to see the club treat Preston with a bit more respect and recruit a few more seasoned bodies to help guide the youngsters in the VFL as getting thumped every other week will do very little to assist with player development.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Amity

Senior List
Suspended
May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perfect guy for a big and long rebuild. Needed someone young, needed someone who was involved in one of the best teams in the competition. Best of luck now all you need is patience and resilience and hopefully he can make his own team.

Ray1950

Draftee
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
With all the talk that Neil Craig will be arriving as Bolton's right hand man, I am going to throw another name into the ring.

Andy Collins.

I have followed him since he played for Hawthorn U19s through to his coaching career at Mitcham, Box Hill, various other VFL sides and West Adelaide. After watching Williamstown today, his coaching abilities shone through in the way that they played. His development record and his man management skills are second to none.

Thoughts?

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
With all the talk that Neil Craig will be arriving as Bolton's right hand man, I am going to throw another name into the ring.

Andy Collins.

I have followed him since he played for Hawthorn U19s through to his coaching career at Mitcham, Box Hill, various other VFL sides and West Adelaide. After watching Williamstown today, his coaching abilities shone through in the way that they played. His development record and his man management skills are second to none.

Thoughts?
It could work, similarly - I'd had similar thoughts about getting Fitzgerald in either to assist Bolton or to coach Preston.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Nah, if anything we throw our young fellas to the wolves.
I'd like to see the club treat Preston with a bit more respect and recruit a few more seasoned bodies to help guide the youngsters in the VFL as getting thumped every other week will do very little to assist with player development.

I would like to see Daniel Cross to the NB as development coach (or Captain coach with someone pulling the strings in the box)

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting... starting to take shape - potentially Craig (jury still very much out) as DoC and Fraser as... development or Ruck coach?

The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
A bit off topic, but there has been plenty of chatter about Craig in this and other threads.

I don't know his background in detail, but my is this:

At Adelaide, the team was quite successful for a number of years but fell away badly at the end
Craig was very strong on fitness, training regime and strategy
On the flipside, he was very strict, perhaps too much of a taskmaster and lost the players at the end
I am ignoring Melbourne/* tenures as too short / somewhat irrelevant

Based off that, I think he could be a good director of coaching.

Could be experienced and knowledgeable with good initiatives. But he would have Bolts as a buffer underneath so that he doesn't alienate the players.

I've posted this before so apologies for re-hashing. I was at Flinders University while Craig was studying education then later sport science. Got to talk to him there and at Unley Oval training sessions when he moved over to play with Sturt. The guy is fanatical in his attention to detail hence him being seen as a hard taskmaster. Fitness, preparation and drills are his strengths. He is highly intelligent and seeks out sports theory and knowledge from all available sources. He would work well with a young 1st time coach that also has an education background, both as a mentor and sounding board. His tactical nous is seen as his weak point, but he won enough games with the Crows to show he can coach. In any case that would be BB's role.

Last edited:
I've posted this before so apologies for re-hashing. I was at Flinders University while Craig was studying education then later sport science. Got to talk to him there and at Unley Oval training sessions when he moved over to play with Sturt. The guy is fanatical in his attention to detail hence him being seen as a hard taskmaster. Fitness, preparation and drills are his strengths. He is highly intelligent and seeks out sports theory and knowledge from all available sources. He would work well with a young 1st time coach that also has an education background, both as a mentor and sounding board. His tactical nous is seen as his weak point, but he won enough games with the Crows to show he can coach. In any case that would be BB's role.

Appreciate the personal experience, Bruce.

It does sound like if he was left to focus on fitness & training he could make a really positive impact.

Now just hoping he can impart on the team the revolutionary concept of being able to run out a full game.. Crazy, I know. But one can only hope.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Great insight. Sounds like a perfect CV for the High Performance position.

I would imagine training is coordinated between High Performance (fitness), Development (skills) and Coaching (tactical)? Is that right? If so, Bolton a Director of High Performance and Director of Development could be all they need. I'm not sure what role would be served by a Director of Coaching.

Can anyone enlighten us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back