Toast Welcome to Carlton Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

He's adds something different to our dynamic.

We have gorilla forward targets in Casboult, Henderson, Rowe, Kreuzer, however Jones is a much different breed of forward.
I dont see the gorilla in Henderson. He's not weak, or small, but hes not a mammoth of a man. He is currently playing the leading tall role in our forward line, with Wood/Kreuzer and Casboult as the gorillas.

Ideally for mine we would have a structure of Kreuzer full time ruck with a chop out from Cas. Jones playing the lead up tall. Watson playing a more big guy KPF. Henderson back in defence, with Jamison and Rowe.

I find, for his size, Hendo is quite a class player at ground level which seems to be his strength, and not so much an aerial monster.

He uses his smarts, run and height to play as a lead-up tall.

I find, for his size, Hendo is quite a class player at ground level which seems to be his strength, and not so much an aerial monster.

He uses his smarts, run and height to play as a lead-up tall.

Would really like to see him start marking them cleanly on the lead though. Seems to be juggling his marks a bit of a late, even the uncontested/leading ones.

Would really like to see him start marking them cleanly on the lead though. Seems to be juggling his marks a bit of a late, even the uncontested/leading ones.
Yeah, tend to agree. Not quite as clean a grab as he could be at times.

So Watson needs to be delisted because he hasn't cemented a spot in four years yet Jones who is in his 5th year is going to reinvent himself and play 100 games as a backman? :rolleyes:

Yeah I think Jones can make it as a backman, he has all the speed, strength and power. I just don't see the natural forward tendencies. And no I don't think Watson has enough attributes to play at an AFL standard. I think hes too slow to make it.

For those who have forgotten Liam Jones recently played for another AFL team... he was already trialled as a defender at the Dogs. It didn't work. Doesn't have the endurance, body strength or decision making.

We aren't talking about a 4th or 5th year player who has barely played 20 games... This is a player in his 7th season whose already played 80 odd games.

For those who have forgotten Liam Jones recently played for another AFL team... he was already trialled as a defender at the Dogs. It didn't work. Doesn't have the endurance, body strength or decision making.

We aren't talking about a 4th or 5th year player who has barely played 20 games... This is a player in his 7th season whose already played 80 odd games.

I need to see him play the rest of the season myself in blue down back before I'm prepared to put a line through him like the majority seem to have done already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you just put a line through Matt Watson whose played significantly less AFL...
Not really sure of your logic here.

Jones - good enough to play 80 odd AFL games = not good enough, put a line through him?

Watson - never good enough to play AFL, has deficiencies that can't really be fixed such as his pace = needs more time....?

Not really sure of your logic here.

Jones - good enough to play 80 odd AFL games = not good enough, put a line through him?

Watson - never good enough to play AFL, has deficiencies that can't really be fixed such as his pace = needs more time....?
Im pretty sure its more:
Jones - whilst it doesnt seem that he's good enough and isnt banging on the door in the VFL - hes on our list for 2 years after this one. Bring him in when he proves his worth in the seconds

Watson - out of contract at the end of this season, and doing enough in the VFL to warrant a final call up and run of games to try and give himself a chance at a new contract.

Im pretty sure its more:
Jones - whilst it doesnt seem that he's good enough and isnt banging on the door in the VFL - hes on our list for 2 years after this one. Bring him in when he proves his worth in the seconds

Watson - out of contract at the end of this season, and doing enough in the VFL to warrant a final call up and run of games to try and give himself a chance at a new contract.
Watson was lucky enough to get his last contract. He's shown next to nothing at AFL level. All we would be doing is making the same mistakes as we did in the past.

Eg - re-rookie Collins, O'Keefe, signing Joseph, Davies, keeping on Ellard.

Watson isn't our best 22 now, and he won't be going forward when we improve.

Watson was lucky enough to get his last contract. He's shown next to nothing at AFL level. All we would be doing is making the same mistakes as we did in the past.

Eg - re-rookie Collins, O'Keefe, signing Joseph, Davies, keeping on Ellard.

Watson isn't our best 22 now, and he won't be going forward when we improve.
He received his contract due to cementing his spot in the best 22 in 2013.

But you just put a line through Matt Watson whose played significantly less AFL...

Yes I did. If you can't read I stated Jones has some real attributes but I feel isn't a natural forward. And I don't feel Watson has the attributes, in particular enough pace to play AFL. It would be why Jones has played a significantly more games I'd suggest. And yes after four and a half years I'm putting a line through Watson. It is more than enough time to make a spot his. He is now a list clogger sadly and we need his spot on the list for some new talent.
P.S I'm not rejoicing in Watsons fail, it's not his fault. It's another Hughes classic. Development isn't going to give him more fast twitch muscles.

He received his contract due to cementing his spot in the best 22 in 2013.
I wouldn't go that far.

Mick gave him 5 games in a row to see what he could do only after our season was shot, with little hope of making the finals (only Essendon's fall from grace...). At the time we were 10th on the ladder and 3 games out of the eight.

I wouldn't go that far.

Mick gave him 5 games in a row to see what he could do only after our season was shot, with little hope of making the finals (only Essendon's fall from grace...). At the time we were 10th on the ladder and 3 games out of the eight.

And he showed something.

People at the time were saying he was very important to Carlton because if he kept improving , it would release hendo forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back