Toast Welcome to Carlton Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't understand why he's copping alot of hate. He's not meant to be our main goalkicker, but I can recall games where hes kicked goals. He kicked 1 goal for us today out of like 3 goals.

I'll admit I am not a fan of him either, but atleast he does kick goals whenever we play him, unlike Henderson.

He had no hope last night, but that shouldn't take away the fact that he's just not very good.

He's played 70 games. It's taken the club much longer everyone else to figure that part out.

The thing that annoys me about him in all games I've seen him play is he sort of just leaps for the ball in an odd way with his arms out-stretched like he's trying to wave it down.

A good example was last night when he did it and the ball just bounced off his chest. Even Henderson was clunking them cleaner last night.

You honestly can't take much out of last nights game. Playing forward in a game your team hardly gets it forward is always going to be hard. Albeit he didn't make much of the opportunities he did get.. except that intercept goal that fell into his lap.

Forgot which quarter I saw it (first or second) but in one passage along the wing, the ball was kicked to him low and hard. He had separation on his direct opponent and should have taken it clean overhead if he had his hands out. It was a perfect delivery. He instead chose to take a leap and mark it on his chest. The ball bounced of his chest. Yes our skills at disposing of the ball are low but even when we get it right we find a way to stuff it up. Unless we are prepared to put both his arms in a cast to prevent him from taking chest marks and help him learn the art of fully stretching his arms out in front of him, he is a waste of a pick. Sadly, I have greater confidence in Levi kicking for goal than Liam. Just don't understand what the club saw in him apart from his big frame.

4 goals for 30 inside 50s gets them a pass? Don't think so.
How many of those 30 inside 50s were kicked to a Carlton player? And of the few occasions in which the ball was kicked to a Carlton player inside 50, how many of those kicks were to the advantage of the Carlton player & how many were on the head of a Carlton player?

Last night we panicked too much when delivering the ball forward, making it oh so easy for the Hawthorn defenders.

Last edited:
How many of those 30 inside 50s were kicked to a Carlton player? And of the few occasions in which the ball was kicked to a Carlton player inside 50, how many of those kicks were to the advantage of the Carlton player & how many were on the head of a Carlton player?

Last night we panicked too much when delivering the ball forward, making oh so easy for the Hawthorn defenders.
There was a fair few occasions it was kicked to Carlton players. Only problem he had 3 Hawthorn mates with him.

Last night we panicked too much when delivering the ball forward, making oh so easy for the Hawthorn defenders.
And how many inside 50s did our backs have to defend, do they get a pass also? Do we put responsibility for poor performance on anybody?

6 possession and 1 mark from a forward is a poor return, he's was obviously not alone but there's no excuse for that output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how many inside 50s did our backs have to defend, do they get a pass also? Do we put responsibility for poor performance on anybody?

6 possession and 1 mark from a forward is a poor return, he's was obviously not alone but there's no excuse for that output.
Clearly not alone, in fact the only players who IMO get a pass mark for last night are Murphy, Cripps, Buckley, Kreuzer & Boekhorst (Rowe just misses out). The rest really need to have a good hard look at themselves.

FFS Barker - He's contracted so use this time to play him back. What's there to lose. I swear he can be a Ted Richards. Bombers let him go under similar circumstances, they couldn't work out where to play him. Both have very similar attributes. Swans settled him down and what a consistent servant he's been.

plays like a 6 foot 6 small forward. not great overhead, no tank to speak of but has great speed and can stick a tackle.
not a great game for our forwards, but the ball bounced off his chest wherever he presented. in a year that's quickly going to waste, we need to try him (among other players if we come to our senses in time) in other positions on the ground.

Forgot which quarter I saw it (first or second) but in one passage along the wing, the ball was kicked to him low and hard. He had separation on his direct opponent and should have taken it clean overhead if he had his hands out. It was a perfect delivery. He instead chose to take a leap and mark it on his chest. The ball bounced of his chest. Yes our skills at disposing of the ball are low but even when we get it right we find a way to stuff it up. Unless we are prepared to put both his arms in a cast to prevent him from taking chest marks and help him learn the art of fully stretching his arms out in front of him, he is a waste of a pick. Sadly, I have greater confidence in Levi kicking for goal than Liam. Just don't understand what the club saw in him apart from his big frame.

i made my comment after seeing that .... the kindest thing you can say about liam jones the footballer is he is not AFL standard

he should do the club and himself a favour , resign and go back to F grade amateur football !!

i made my comment after seeing that .... the kindest thing you can say about liam jones the footballer is he is not AFL standard

he should do the club and himself a favour , resign and go back to F grade amateur football !!
Sorry squire I scratched your record...sorry squire I scratched your record....

481748558-brian-lake-of-the-hawks-punches-the-ball-gettyimages.jpg

Chest marking at its finest ...Jones and Henderson this losing caper every time...instead of jump with bum backwards and arms outstretched...Waite was a great exponent of how to do it right...

Every time I watch this goose I want to smash my face against a wall.

JAB you are 100% spot on. Has to stop trying to take it on the chest and get his bloody arms out. That photo above is the perfect example. If he had the arms outstretched no way Lake could get his fist to it.

We are taught this at even the lowest local levels of football.

The game is bloody hard enough, without even making it harder for yourself Liam.

481748558-brian-lake-of-the-hawks-punches-the-ball-gettyimages.jpg

Chest marking at its finest ...Jones and Henderson this losing caper every time...instead of jump with bum backwards and arms outstretched...Waite was a great exponent of how to do it right...

What's Liam looking at in the photo?

Desperately needs to learn to take he ball hands outstretched, and keep his eye on the pill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back