Retired 46. Matthew Wright Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he will surprise next season. He plays a very similar style of game to Ben McGlynn from the Sydney Swans. That half forward/wing-man who can push into the midfield and find plenty of the ball. A few years ago Matty Wright averaged 20 disposals and kicked 14 goals. He's going to be a handy player for the Blues.

Matthew Wright has talent and still fits the age bracket. Very good signing. Funny we have Wright and Kerrige though as they both play the same Medium Forward/Inside Mid/Flanker Position and Wright was the guy keepiny Kedge out of the team
Ironically I feel like Kedge will be the outright better player too. Can't explain it. Then again some Crows fans seemingly would have preferred Kedge too.

Either way, I feel with our team both can be useful.

I actually wasn't 100% on who he was until I saw his highlights package.

I remember him because he has one of those punchable heads you often find on Crow and Essendon players.

I don't hate Tutt but this guy certainly looks like he can compete more effectively with bigger bodies, even though he is short.

More a Puopolo type than a Tutt.

did lol

Only saw a few of his games this year and wasn't thrilled.... However, having spoken to several Crows members that watch him regularly feel that he's one of those fringe players who will play a much needed role and do it well for us so we shall see...

Looking at his highlights we sure could use a mid half-forward who can slot them home from 40ish without breaking a sweat which he can do. I've lost count over the past few years how many times we've had the ball at half forward and had nobody who could kick it consistently. That should help open some things for our more notable players.

List clogger but Neil Craig must still see something in him...

Better than pick 37 in the rookie draft, perhaps, as a small forward option.

Will make Jedi Lamb earn a spot in the 22, I guess.

always liked him as a player just not sure what he adds to what we a re trying to do? anyway smarter people than I would know better. i hope he does well. if anything we are starting to develop some depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best of luck to Matty at the Blues. From all accounts a very popular bloke amongst the Crows playing group, so no doubt he will bring a lot to your boys. I hope him and Kedge can carve out good careers at Carlton.

The Menzel trade now looks like:

Carlton:
Out: Menzel
In: Kerridge, Wright, pick 28.

I said when he was delisted we should look at grabbing him. Smallish mid/forward type with pace. Needs a bit of work, but will be a massive upgrade on Tutt. So unless Tutt can have a massive year, it looks like at the end of this year, he's gone.

Welcome to Carlton Matt...

With all due respect, it does not look like that. It remains Menzel for Kerridge and pick 28..

I actually wasn't 100% on who he was until I saw his highlights package.

I remember him because he has one of those punchable heads you often find on Crow and Essendon players.

I don't hate Tutt but this guy certainly looks like he can compete more effectively with bigger bodies, even though he is short.

More a Puopolo type than a Tutt.

Tutt is better than people giving him credit for.... As soon as he got consecutive games together he was getting 23+ disposals in a depleted side.

Best of luck to him. May have frustrated some of us fans but no knocks on him as a person.
Hopefully the sea-change sees him regain his form of a couple of years ago.

Is it possible his form dropped off because he already accepted an offer from Carlton a year ago?
He was a FA, right?
Delisted.

always liked him as a player just not sure what he adds to what we a re trying to do? anyway smarter people than I would know better. i hope he does well. if anything we are starting to develop some depth

Not sure I understand you.
You like him as a player, but you don't understand why we are trying to do??
How about, we are trying to bring in good players??

With all due respect, it does not look like that. It remains Menzel for Kerridge and pick 28..
Wright was delisted for salary cap reasons apparently... to fit in Menzel...

But regardless, they delisted him, we recruited him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back