Retired 46. Matthew Wright Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I understand you.
You like him as a player, but you don't understand why we are trying to do??
How about, we are trying to bring in good players??

i think he is a very handy player without being a star. my only question is when we are clearly rebuilding do we need to bring in a 26 year old to add to our list? does he fill a role that curnow lamb sumner smith thomas graham kerridge whiley armfield couldn't fill?

Played 16 games this year, wright?

Yeah, arguably 16 too many.

Had a bit to do with Knight and Atkins getting injured for the first part of the season, and Wright losing his preferred role to either Cameron, or CEY/Crouch so he just got stuck with a role that he had no real idea with.

He's a limited player, but good enough to be a solid role player if you play to his strengths, which is a mix of inside midfielder and small forward. Unfortunately for him, those were our two strongest areas in 2015.

Wright was delisted for salary cap reasons apparently... to fit in Menzel...

But regardless, they delisted him, we recruited him.

I think it was more to do with him being overtaken by youth at the wrong time. Lets face it, if he was best 22, we'd of easily found a way to pay him, seeing we lost Dangerfield.

A bit nonplussed about this pick. He's a handy bit player that does some nice things. If we were pushing finals I'd say it's a wasted selection but given we are devoid of leadership & experience at present I'm happy to back the club in.
All the best Matty.

Think he's made of the wright stuff.

Can see him and Kerridge both playing important but different roles in the team straight away.

Kerridge playing 80% midfield and 20% forward and Wright playing as a defensive/small forward hopefully kicking 20-30 goals and chopping out in the middle at time.

Can see both playing 20 games for us next year easily.

i think he is a very handy player without being a star. my only question is when we are clearly rebuilding do we need to bring in a 26 year old to add to our list? does he fill a role that curnow lamb sumner smith thomas graham kerridge whiley armfield couldn't fill?

Well totally different player vis a vis Curnow, Whiley, Graham.

And better than Armfield.

And younger than Thomas.

26 is not old.

Yeah, arguably 16 too many.

Had a bit to do with Knight and Atkins getting injured for the first part of the season, and Wright losing his preferred role to either Cameron, or CEY/Crouch so he just got stuck with a role that he had no real idea with.

He's a limited player, but good enough to be a solid role player if you play to his strengths, which is a mix of inside midfielder and small forward. Unfortunately for him, those were our two strongest areas in 2015.

I think it was more to do with him being overtaken by youth at the wrong time. Lets face it, if he was best 22, we'd of easily found a way to pay him, seeing we lost Dangerfield.

Yes but again he plays a different role to Danger.

Carlton in recent years have lost a number of small forwards - Betts, Garlett, Yarran.
So they need to replace - Tutt can find it and has toe but uses it poorly; Lamb was picked up; Sumner maybe also plays that role; see how he goes; Smith is raw.
So Wright makes sense if his role is a small forward.
Puts pressure for spots.

At worst he is there to add another hard body with experience.
It is a young list now.
If the club felt they needed some hard bodied experience, then I prefer 26 than 28/29. Don't you?

26 is actually my cut off for rebuilding age wise.
No older than that is my view.

Look guys it is all about incremental improvements to the list.
Not every addition/improvement to a list is GETTING DANGERFIELD.

If he is better than Tutt then that is a positive. Cost us nothing in terms of trade collateral.

If he is better than Tutt then that is a positive. Cost us nothing in terms of trade collateral.
the thing is people probably thought that's why we got Lamb or Sumner so why the need for Wright

Carlton in recent years have lost a number of small forwards - Betts, Garlett, Yarran.
So they need to replace - Tutt can find it and has toe but uses it poorly; Lamb was picked up; Sumner maybe also plays that role; see how he goes; Smith is raw.
Puts pressure for spots.

To a degree, but he was an inside rotation for us in 2012, 2013 and some of 2014 was what i was saying. Mind you if it was that bottom comment, that was more due to the cap space he freed up.

If you've picked him up to be a predominantly small forward, with some midfield rotations to protect your younger brigade, you'll get some good solid years out of Wright. Just don't fall into the trap we did by playing him elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And cant be much in terms of $$$...he was delisted and fair chance we were the only suitors.

Good pick up imo. Experienced, hard body who adds to depth and midfield/small forward rotations.

Wish Wrighty all the best at the Blues. I'm glad to see he got picked up because he's too good to be playing in the SANFL.

We just couldn't seem to find a role for him. He wasn't hitting the score board enough as a small forward and couldn't lock a spot down in the middle.

The Blues should throw him in the guts and see how he goes. He played his best footy with us as a part-time midfielder in 2012. I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

Puts pressure for spots.

Honestly think you'd be better served having Wright play in the midfield. While he has excellent goal sense, and a reasonably accurate set shot, he just doesn't hit the score board enough or have the physical attributes you need in a modern small forward. (explosive speed, agility, ferocity etc)

Last edited:
Hope he goes Ok.

Often when we are in this recruiting season people will say 'well, he'll be best 22 at Carlton'. However, we'd prefer not to be recruiting players who are only best22 at an 18th placed Carlton but players that would be best 22 in a Top 4-6 team. That is how we will improve.

Having said that - what alternatives are there ? No big fish hanging around this year trying to picked up so hopefully this guys gives us some temporary improvement and cover for our younger guys.

No problem with taking him we have everything to gain and nothing to lose, as long as we don't offer him a jones like contract.

With all due respect, it does not look like that. It remains Menzel for Kerridge and pick 28..

It does officially on the trade sheet and it was for Adelaide, and certainly Wright has nothing to do with the trade.

However for Carlton it really was like #21 and Kerridge for Menzel as that is the pick we would have given to GWS for Plowman +3 for them to pass on to Collingwood. Wouldn't surprise me if we did the #28 deal because we knew #20 and #21 would get us #11 and we had to retain them.

From a Carlton perspective, all 3 trades were intertwined. #11 wouldn't have been done without the Menzel deal and we would have paid #21 for the GWS 4.

#20, #21, Geelong's 2016 1st rounder for Menzel for #8, #11, Kerridge, Plowman, Phillips, Lamb, Sumner.

Don't mind Wright as a footballer so the decision to bring him to the club strikes me as a solid one. He won't ever be a superstar but he has shown over the years that he can more than hold his own at AFL level and at 25/26 he will add some much needed experience to what is now looking like a very young squad.

Suited more to a midfield role but can also play forward so his flexibility may have been of appeal. Certainly gives it his all and was from all reports a very well liked character at the Crows so you'd expect that to be the case here as well.

Wright's major issue has throughout his career been consistency. He just has not been able to carry good form year on year and has been up and down like a yo-yo over the past few years in particular. Had a terrific season in 2012 but followed that up with a shocker in 2013. Looked to get somewhat back on track in 2014 but it fell apart for him again this year despite spending plenty of time in the senior side.

Hopefully he can continue that trend and be of real value to us in 2016 because as I said, at his best he can certainly play and be a valuable contributor particularly to a side likely to be on or around the bottom of the ladder for the majority of the year. If he can get back to that form this will look like a fantastic pick up; if he can't we've hardly lost out on anything.

Low risk move with certainly a greater likelihood of success in comparison to a late pick in tomorrow's rookie draft - we know what we're going to get from Wright as a minimum.

It does officially on the trade sheet and it wasfor Adelaide, and certainly Wright has nothing to do with the trade.

However for Carlton it really was like #21 and Kerridge for Menzel as that is the pick we would have given to GWS for Plowman +3 for them to pass on to Collingwood. Wouldn't surprise me if we did the #28 deal because we knew #20 and #21 would get us #11 and we had to retain them.

From a Carlton perspective, all 3 trades were intertwined. #11 wouldn't have been done without the Menzel deal and we would have paid #21 for the GWS 4.

#20, #21, Geelong's 2016 1st rounder for Menzel for #8, #11, Kerridge, Plowman, Phillips, Lamb, Sumner.
To simplify, we traded Menzel and Henderson for Kerridge, Plowman, Phillips, Lamb, Sumner and pick 8.

Very pleased with this signing. He's no superstar, but is only 25 and works bloody hard.

Turns 26 in just over a fortnight.

Meh ......... not really fussed about this appointment.

Would of preferred a younger player but if there wasn't anyone around of note then a mature-age player on a short-term deal seems like the logical way to go.

I like this signing and the 2012 form shows us all he can play the game.

Who knows what happened that contributed to a drop off after that but one would be very naive to think he cannot reproduce that 2012 form again for us in a new environment for us.

We paid little for Matty and welcome mate to your new home. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back