Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't have a bad game, but didn't have a good game either.

Has good vision and good disposal, but was really let down by the turnover trying to centre it in the middle.

However, the kid clearly has a set of cajones and backs himself when he centred that ball to De Goey.

It's a good trait, but the jury is still very much out.

Go back and watch the contest in 3rd qtr in our defensive goal square where he was one out against 2 hawks and a high ball came in. Killed the ball brilliantly. He will be fine long term. And for those bemoaning top4 chances and the like, we are not that level of team yet. We need to get games into these kids even if it costs us games

Put them both down to inexperience. Agree with the shirt pass and he will learn from that, the other that had him "tripping" was good body work by a more experienced premiership footballer.

As I have mentioned previously. I'm looking forward to a half back line of Maynard Reid Scharenberg

Tripping over your own feet is inexperience? It's called being unco

Yeah I thought he was pretty bad at times. But that has no bearing on his future career. I remember when we had a good laugh over McCartins debut. Just because a player fails in his first game doesn't mean much.

A debutant doesn't have to kick 6 goals or get 30 possessions to have a "good debut". You just need to see SOMETHING. Costing us 2 or 3 goals on debut through nothing more than gimpness isn't a great sign of a long term prospect. But then again, Toovey somehow managed to forge a career despite almost having nothing but shortcomings.

A debutant doesn't have to kick 6 goals or get 30 possessions to have a "good debut". You just need to see SOMETHING. Costing us 2 or 3 goals on debut through nothing more than gimpness isn't a great sign of a long term prospect. But then again, Toovey somehow managed to forge a career despite almost having nothing but shortcomings.

You really are looking more and more foolish the more you comment on Maynard. I saw plenty, but then I regard myself as a pretty good judge.
He played mainly on Poppy who kicked 4 goals the previous week. Last time I checked the score sheet, Puopolo didn't kick a goal last night

Toovey kicked three goals on debut :cool:

we cannot drop maynard after one game. The kid needs few games in the afl to get used to the speed.

we cannot drop maynard after one game. The kid needs few games in the afl to get used to the speed.
Id happily drop him. His form wasnt outstanding anyway, if theres someone whos better and ready, Maynard goes.

I liked what I saw. I'm always a little concerned when a youngsters kills it first game out. He generally gets heaps of attention from the get go because of it and struggles to develop under that heat.

Think Tambling and Clint Bartram from Melbourne.

You really are looking more and more foolish the more you comment on Maynard. I saw plenty, but then I regard myself as a pretty good judge.
He played mainly on Poppy who kicked 4 goals the previous week. Last time I checked the score sheet, Puopolo didn't kick a goal last night

That's right, I forgot, having a contrary opinion on this board means you're an idiot. Ah, feels like the old days again.

Cram it.

He kept Poppy scoreless? That's nice because he handed other players 3 goals.

I for one was very impressed.

He is comfortable and composed with ball in hand. That kick to De Goey in the last term inside the centre corridor under immense heat was ridiculously good.

We have a player on our hands.

Agree, great to see a Kid use the Ball Well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right, I forgot, having a contrary opinion on this board means you're an idiot. Ah, feels like the old days again.

Cram it.

He kept Poppy scoreless? That's nice because he handed other players 3 goals.
It usually just means you're wrong.. It was his first game in the big time, give the kid a break. If you didn't see the upside then yeah you're probably an idiot.

It usually just means you're wrong.. It was his first game in the big time, give the kid a break. If you didn't see the upside then yeah you're probably an idiot.

First game in the big time is generally just an excuse.

For example, Moore didn't do a great deal, but he didn't do a great deal wrong either. Maynard, not only didn't do a great deal, but he did a bit wrong. Crucially wrong.

There's your difference.

But yeah, you geniuses keep throwing personal insults around. No worries.

For example, Moore didn't do a great deal, but he didn't do a great deal wrong either. Maynard, not only didn't do a great deal, but he did a bit wrong. Crucially wrong.

There's your difference.

Its not an excuse, it's a reason. Have you played much (any?) competitive footy? Anyone who has knows that the step up between levels takes a bit of getting used to. Let alone from the VFL (average comp) to the AFL and in front of 75000 people to boot.

Moore only had it 4 times so didn't exactly have the opportunity to make too many mistakes..

No one is insulting you, but if you're gonna beat up on a first gamer and say he showed nothing when he showed plenty while making a few mistakes then you've gotta cop the heat that comes with it.

Dropping a kid after one game will hurt his confidence. Greenwood has not completely proven that he is ready to come in

Its not an excuse, it's a reason. Have you played much (any?) competitive footy? Anyone who has knows that the step up between levels takes a bit of getting used to. Let alone from the VFL (average comp) to the AFL and in front of 75000 people to boot.

Moore only had it 4 times so didn't exactly have the opportunity to make too many mistakes..

No one is insulting you, but if you're gonna beat up on a first gamer and say he showed nothing when he showed plenty while making a few mistakes then you've gotta cop the heat that comes with it.

Beating up? What are you on? I'm simply doing two things. Giving an opinion, alongside stating a fact. My opinion was that Maynard didn't really show me much to show he'd be anything more than an ok player. Fact, he directly cost us 3 goals.

Now, somehow, many of you thought that despite costing us 3 goals, he showed enough to show he'd be a REALLY good player. Good for you guys.

But to blame the "big game" occasion is an excuse. If Buckley didn't think he was ready, he wouldn't have been picked. Not to mention big games are generally a great way to show what a kid has. Watts debuted on Queens Birthday, I'd argue he did more than what Maynard did last night and Watts career has been one of mediocrity since.

So I'm trying ot figure out what Maynard did that was so special that gave people the impression he'd be a gun. One good pass? Given the crucial turnover he executed later I'd say that's a wash at best. Falling over his own feet?

There's your difference.

You'd have to be able to kick it 100m to cost us goals whilst playing deep forward 50 all game... So it's not like Moore had the opportunity to gift the other team goals.

Whether or not Maynard plays next week depends on who is ready to come in, and what mix we need of defenders/midfielders to play against Port. He wasn't bad enough to be dropped outright, and not good enough to 100% maintain his spot in the side.

Oh and stop campaigning to draw and quarter a young defender for his debut.

Beating up? What are you on? I'm simply doing two things. Giving an opinion, alongside stating a fact. My opinion was that Maynard didn't really show me much to show he'd be anything more than an ok player. Fact, he directly cost us 3 goals.

Now, somehow, many of you thought that despite costing us 3 goals, he showed enough to show he'd be a REALLY good player. Good for you guys.

But to blame the "big game" occasion is an excuse. If Buckley didn't think he was ready, he wouldn't have been picked. Not to mention big games are generally a great way to show what a kid has. Watts debuted on Queens Birthday, I'd argue he did more than what Maynard did last night and Watts career has been one of mediocrity since.

So I'm trying ot figure out what Maynard did that was so special that gave people the impression he'd be a gun. One good pass? Given the crucial turnover he executed later I'd say that's a wash at best. Falling over his own feet?
You're opinion was that you needed to see something and that you saw nothing that made you think he could be a good player. Thats just plain wrong.

Yes, he made mistakes but so did every other player on the ground. The Watts comparison is a weird one, not many players show much in their first games bit early to write him off.

You're opinion was that you needed to see something and that you saw nothing that made you think he could be a good player. Thats just plain wrong.

Yes, he made mistakes but so did every other player on the ground. The Watts comparison is a weird one, not many players show much in their first games bit early to write him off.

See, this is my problem with most Collingwood supporters, you're too forgiving. You've been a member on here long enough to know my pattern. Look at the players I simply REFUSE to change my mind about.

- Licuria
- Toovey
- Shaw
- O'Brien

You noticing a pattern? Turnover kings that cost us goals, and in many cases, games. All 4 of those player also do good things. But they are MORE than cancelled out by the bad in my eyes.

Based on last night thus far, Maynard looks like he may join those 4 for me. A kid who may do some good things here and there, but just undo it all by costing us goals.

Based on last night thus far, Maynard looks like he may join those 4 for me. A kid who may do some good things here and there, but just undo it all by costing us goals.

He's an elite kick and 6 years away from maturing

See, this is my problem with most Collingwood supporters, you're too forgiving. You've been a member on here long enough to know my pattern. Look at the players I simply REFUSE to change my mind about.

- Licuria
- Toovey
- Shaw
- O'Brien

You noticing a pattern? Turnover kings that cost us goals, and in many cases, games. All 4 of those player also do good things. But they are MORE than cancelled out by the bad in my eyes.

So let me get this right, you have pretty much written him off after one AFL game? Tad harsh, no?

In any event it's of no relevance whether you think he's good or not, the CFC rates him at this stage and that's all that matters.

For what it's worth, I thought he showed plenty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back