Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how he suddenly gets quicker by growing...
293252-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
before
306512-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
21_Patrick-Cripps_Draft-Countdown-Article-Image.jpg
and after
Screen-Shot-2015-06-18-at-9.26.30-am-300x219.png
398271-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
384032-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
381330-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
so we are all hoping sier follows in this chubby kids foot steps, sorry about posting a Carlton player.

Plot twist: The Bulldogs recruiting staff don't recruit based on who the media says Collingwood is interested in, they just rated Bontempelli like we did.

Yep. Ridiculous to think that some people believe that other professional clubs are picking players because the media said that we thought they were good. Come on if the bulldogs picked him at that pick it is because they thought he was worth that pick. Not because they read in a newspaper that we thought he was the ants pants.

Yep. Ridiculous to think that some people believe that other professional clubs are picking players because the media said that we thought they were good. Come on if the bulldogs picked him at that pick it is because they thought he was worth that pick. Not because they read in a newspaper that we thought he was the ants pants.

Well they would of Checked because of Hine's Record at Drafts

Tested 2.9 for 20m sprint I think, which is decent for someone his size. That could improve too with an AFL preseason under his belt. Not sure about his endurance.
That is top 10 if he were tested at the combine. I'd say it is excellent for someone his size.

Their recruiters have struck some gold, but they've been helped by some fortunate father/son selections. They've had a considerable amount of busts in the time Dalrymple has been in charge, and have really only started nailing their early picks in the past couple of years. The Bont and Stringer selections have elevated Dalrymple in people's minds imo, but until he consistently starts nailing not only his early picks, but finding gems later on, he isn't on the same level as guys like Hine, Rendell or Wells.
Sorry to intrude but Dalrymple became recruiting manager in 2009. Stuffed the 09 draft but since then has made good choices. 2010 we were aided by FS picks but also nailed two rookies (dahlhaus and johannisen), 2011 got Dickson and Clay Smith and this is probably our worst draft since 09, with smith having three ACL tears and a shoulder reco in 2 years. Remember also before you all say the Bont pick was copied, no one can really answer that question but the year before we also reached/took risks taking Stringer and Macrae early. Almost every Dalrymple smokey has come off. Obviously we rated Sier as we had him training with us, and I like everyone else knew absolutely nothing about him but we must have rated him worthy of a pick. I wish him luck and he looks like a player with a lot of potential.

Sorry to intrude but Dalrymple became recruiting manager in 2009. Stuffed the 09 draft but since then has made good choices. 2010 we were aided by FS picks but also nailed two rookies (dahlhaus and johannisen), 2011 got Dickson and Clay Smith and this is probably our worst draft since 09, with smith having three ACL tears and a shoulder reco in 2 years. Remember also before you all say the Bont pick was copied, no one can really answer that question but the year before we also reached/took risks taking Stringer and Macrae early. Almost every Dalrymple smokey has come off. Obviously we rated Sier as we had him training with us, and I like everyone else knew absolutely nothing about him but we must have rated him worthy of a pick. I wish him luck and he looks like a player with a lot of potential.
Thanks for that - happy with your draft? Seemed to do very well.

I like this, take a chance on a kid with huge upside but less of a proven or well known talent. I think Marsh is similar, most clubs had overlooked through the draft, although he did have a higher profile. We will be bedding in AT and JA and can start developing players like Sier, rather than bringing in a better known quantity with less upside.

It's appears a gamble from the outside but one I am glad they took. Would love to see him crack a game first year.

But... I could absolutely swear that's what Richmond's recruiting team does!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only GWS (Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman) and Melbourne (Toumpas) had picks before WB in 2012. Stringer was a rumoured #1 pick/talent, who slide because he broke his leg the year before. With 3 picks he's exactly the type GWS should have taken a chance with. Macrae's coach talked him up as a 5-10 pick, although the media had him sliding before the draft.

Credit to WB for recognising the talent and not getting cute like GWS. As this draft illustrates clubs still need to get the pick right and you guys couldn't have hit those picks much better.

Neither do I, although he was apparently a heavyset young lad, so maybe losing some fat and gaining some muscle has helped in that regard.

Bingo, add to that he would of gained a longer stride and we naturally get quicker as we go from young teens to late teens.

PS I need to go back and read what this argument is about as Im reading the thread backwards.:drunk:

293252-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
before
306512-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
21_Patrick-Cripps_Draft-Countdown-Article-Image.jpg
and after
Screen-Shot-2015-06-18-at-9.26.30-am-300x219.png
398271-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
384032-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
381330-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
so we are all hoping sier follows in this chubby kids foot steps, sorry about posting a Carlton player.
He is a gun and the only thing I Like, sorry tolerate, about Carlton

Bingo, add to that he would of gained a longer stride and we naturally get quicker as we go from young teens to late teens.

PS I need to go back and read what this argument is about as Im reading the thread backwards.:drunk:
Exactly - he probably didn't get quicker because he grew, he got quicker because he is so young and is getting better all the time

Thanks for that - happy with your draft? Seemed to do very well.
At the moment I am pleased that we tried to address some needs down back with Collins/Adams. Williams looks like a real Dalrymple smokey who I am quite high on having noticed he really was a late bloomer this season and Dunkley was a highly rated FS that slipped through. Until I see them play alongside their new teammates I will reserve judgement but on the surface our picks make a lot of sense. A few already have AFL size and should impact in season one which I feel is important and none are below 187cm. For the first time in years there were no draft melts on our board. Adelaide on the other hand...

Yep, Pendles makes up for his lack of speed with a freakish awareness of his surroundings.

iirc Pendles ran a 2.96 at his DC so he isn't as slow as made out, no doubt improved since too.

Btw the Average DC speed up until 2011 was 3.03 secs.

So most average paced afl players are sitting at 3 sec 20m times.

His years top 10

20-meter Sprint
Matt Laidlaw (Sydney #51) - 2.83sec
Jarred Oakley-Nicholls (Richmond #8) - 2.85sec
Nate Roffey (Not Drafted) - 2.92sec
Andrew Swallow (Kangaroos #43) - 2.92sec
Grant Birchall (Hawthorn #14) - 2.93sec
Nick Lower (Port Adelaide #30) - 2.93sec
Dale Thomas (Collingwood #2) - 2.93sec
Sam Elliott (Adelaide– Rookie Draft #53) - 2.94sec
Austin Lucy (Essendon #66) - 2.94sec
Alan Toovey (Collingwood – Rookie Draft #2) - 2.94sec

Stringer was rated top 3 prior to breaking his leg the only reason there was any doubt was due to the injury. So he wasn't what you would say "smokey" more a slight risk if his leg didn't heal properly.

iirc Pendles ran a 2.96 at his DC so he isn't as slow as made out, no doubt improved since too.

Btw the Average DC speed up until 2011 was 3.03 secs.

So most average paced afl players are sitting at 3 sec 20m times.

His years top 10

20-meter Sprint
Matt Laidlaw (Sydney #51) - 2.83sec
Jarred Oakley-Nicholls (Richmond #8) - 2.85sec
Nate Roffey (Not Drafted) - 2.92sec
Andrew Swallow (Kangaroos #43) - 2.92sec
Grant Birchall (Hawthorn #14) - 2.93sec
Nick Lower (Port Adelaide #30) - 2.93sec
Dale Thomas (Collingwood #2) - 2.93sec
Sam Elliott (Adelaide– Rookie Draft #53) - 2.94sec
Austin Lucy (Essendon #66) - 2.94sec
Alan Toovey (Collingwood – Rookie Draft #2) - 2.94sec
No true. Ben Reid said when commentating one of the NAB games that Pendlebury has never been able to reach the 3 second mark despite all his efforts.

Yes, I'm well aware of when Dalrymple took over and his drating history:

2009: Abortion of a draft
2010: Dalhaus was solid, Johannisen was decent too. National Draft was hugely carried by FS picks.
2011: Smith has been unlucky, but it's hard to rate him as a good pick given his injuries (similar to Berg with us) I'd rate it an 'ok' draft.
2012: Nailed Stringer and McRae (you should be nailing top 10 picks anyway) Hrovat I rate on par with Kennedy, ok but could have been better as an early 20's pick. Aided by FS with Hunter.
2013: Nailed Bonts, Fuller never played a game, Honeychurch has been ok.
2014: 3 second round picks. Hard to tell if last years draft will be any good for you. I do like Daniel though, and Dale and Webb could be solid pick ups too. Still not convinced that the aquisition of Boyd was a good idea.
2015: Time will tell

By no means am I trying to imply that Dalrymple is a bad recruiter. He is quite good, and is above average league wide, and you guys arguably have one of the most exciting young lists in the league. I'm not sure where you're going with the 'smokey' call though. The only real smokey was Bonts. As mentioned already, whilst Stringer was a risk, he was hardly a smokey, as he was regarded as a top 3 talent without the broken leg. It's not like you reached for him when nobody else rated his talent, more like he slid to you due to an injury, sort of a less extreme version of Burton's slide to the Hawks this year. As for McRae, most phantoms had him going top 10 from memory? I'm not sure how he was a smokey, as I dont recall him bolting in to those top 10 calculations the week before the draft like Bonts did.

Yes, I'm well aware of when Dalrymple took over and his drating history:

2009: Abortion of a draft
2010: Dalhaus was solid, Johannisen was decent too. National Draft was hugely carried by FS picks. Agree, though under the new system we would still have all 4 successful picks on our list.
2011: Smith has been unlucky, but it's hard to rate him as a good pick given his injuries (similar to Berg with us) I'd rate it an 'ok' draft. Talia is average, but is gone. Dickson is still around. 2/4.
2012: Nailed Stringer and McRae (you should be nailing top 10 picks anyway) Hrovat I rate on par with Kennedy, ok but could have been better as an early 20's pick. Aided by FS with Hunter. Prudden remains on the list and made his debut last season. Looks OK but not sold yet. All 5 remain on the list and played last season.
2013: Nailed Bonts, Fuller never played a game, Honeychurch has been ok. Agree
2014: 3 second round picks. Hard to tell if last years draft will be any good for you. I do like Daniel though, and Dale and Webb could be solid pick ups too. Still not convinced that the aquisition of Boyd was a good idea. Toby McLean will be the best of this group and showed the most talent but had his shoulder popped by Dylan Buckley. Boyd wasn't drafted so isn't a Dalrymple selection. Hamilton not sure about.
2015: Time will tell

By no means am I trying to imply that Dalrymple is a bad recruiter. He is quite good, and is above average league wide, and you guys arguably have one of the most exciting young lists in the league. I'm not sure where you're going with the 'smokey' call though. The only real smokey was Bonts. As mentioned already, whilst Stringer was a risk, he was hardly a smokey, as he was regarded as a top 3 talent without the broken leg. It's not like you reached for him when nobody else rated his talent, more like he slid to you due to an injury, sort of a less extreme version of Burton's slide to the Hawks this year. As for McRae, most phantoms had him going top 10 from memory? I'm not sure how he was a smokey, as I dont recall him bolting in to those top 10 calculations the week before the draft like Bonts did.

A lot of his past list balance picks have not been amazing, Fuller 'the next gilbee' and talia come to mind. these are some of the smokeys that when selected we all thought who?
Dickson pick 57
Dale pick 45
Dahlhaus, Johannisen and Jong as rookies
Hamling as a DFA
Dale I expect will come on in leaps and bounds this season. I have edited in some missed selections still on the list. Basically the point I am proving is that Dalrymple as a recruiter is much improved from season one to now. He drafted types late draft that I almost expected him to and that is much improved from some of his early risks. He has now had enough time to judge what picks worked, what picks didn't and how to draft good players across the board. Hi first two years he was below average but has since worked his way into the very top handful. The only ND pick off the list since the 2011 crop is Fuller.

Anyway not wanting to derail this thread anymore I will see myself out. Hopefully pies vs dogs will be a great fixture next season, both young and exciting teams so it will be good to get along to the game. I enjoyed going last year with my magpie supporting mate so hopefully this season it brings me similar joy.

A lot of his past list balance picks have not been amazing, Fuller 'the next gilbee' and talia come to mind. these are some of the smokeys that when selected we all thought who?
Dickson pick 57
Dale pick 45
Dahlhaus, Johannisen and Jong as rookies
Hamling as a DFA
Dale I expect will come on in leaps and bounds this season. I have edited in some missed selections still on the list. Basically the point I am proving is that Dalrymple as a recruiter is much improved from season one to now. He drafted types late draft that I almost expected him to and that is much improved from some of his early risks. He has now had enough time to judge what picks worked, what picks didn't and how to draft good players across the board. Hi first two years he was below average but has since worked his way into the very top handful. The only ND pick off the list since the 2011 crop is Fuller.

Anyway not wanting to derail this thread anymore I will see myself out. Hopefully pies vs dogs will be a great fixture next season, both young and exciting teams so it will be good to get along to the game. I enjoyed going last year with my magpie supporting mate so hopefully this season it brings me similar joy.

Good on you mate. No problems with this sort of banter from most on here and I'm sure you are welcome. I like to get impressions from other fans on how they see their recruiting. Dogs have done very well with their picks in my view and while I do carry on about the Bont pick (and will stop doing it now) - who really knows - shouldn't detract from the excellent job in list management going on at Whitten Oval - which allegedly we are trying to copy.

Sorry for the intrusion but thought you guys might be interested... Work in part time recruiting (not Collingwood...or Carlton) and was lucky enough to watch Brayden in the aps vs ags game at Wesley college. You guys have an absolute beauty. If I had to pick a player to end up the best in this draft outside the top dozen or so, it would be him without doubt. Sos was at that game, it's no surprise to hear we were interested, he dominated that level. Patrick Cripps is a great comparison and while I think Cripps might have the edge throughout their careers because of his slight height advantage, that is no shame at all (Cripps will be the best player Carlton have drafted in history).
Will need to work on his running, but that's an easy fix. As much as it pains me to say it... Well done to your recruiting team....
Although you guys will pretty much know all this by now, here's a few notes I took from that game...

Brayden Sier –

Hard at it, powerful, dynamic inside mid. Bullocks his way through winning contested ball. Very hard to tackle and bring to ground, dishing off handballs to outside types. Able to keep his hands free when tackled too, natural instinct is to lift his arms above his head.

Very good spatial awareness and vision by hand, knows where his teammates are around him and hits them. Crunches his tackles, driving opponents into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back