Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly this 'theory' is pretty insulting towards the Bulldogs recruiting guy.

EVERY year there are players that rocket up the rankings. And every year there are players that collingwood aren't interested in that rocket up the rankings. Just because Bontempelli rocketed up the rankings doesn't mean that it was motivated by collingwood. it happens every year whether collingwood are interested or not.

When we draft Sier its apparently because both the pies and bulldogs are both interested and we both scouted him. No one is suggesting that Hine heard the bulldogs are interested and wanted to copy them. But when the bulldogs draft Bontempelli its because they heard that Hine liked him so they better copy us. Can't you see how stupid and insulting this is?

It's not stupid and insulting. I could mount an equally valid argument that it's 'ridiculous' to say that clubs operate in a vacuum and take no notice of what eachother are doing. Any industry that is competitive involves people competing and reacting to each others moves. This is like you all saying two corporations or businesses take no notice of what the other is doing and operate completely independently of eachother!

You guys also make a blind assumption that every club is across every player. They're not. No club has the resources to have done due diligence on every kid. A case in point is Dalhaus. I saw his second last school boys game at port Melbourne and it was the most stunning game of school boy footy I'd ever seen. Only one team had a scout there that day, the Bulldogs. Luck, or due diligence. But whatever, they can't be everywhere at once. So sometimes they take notice of what other clubs are up to, especially if they are a well resourced and financed operation like Collingwood with a track record for making good decisions on kids.

In being so categorical and dismissive on this topic, none of you have managed to explain why the bulldogs did an about face and did very late interview and due diligence on Bontempelli the week before the draft when they had not been linked to him by any media source up to that point nor can you explain why they chose a late blooming, higher risk/reward pick with a top 5 pick when almost no club had taken such a risk in the history of the draft apart from Collingwood with Pendlebury. And interestingly, Bontempelli was being billed as the next Pendlebury.

The bottom line is, nobody knows for sure. But don't ridicule people for putting forward a perfectly valid and logical point of view when you don't know what really happened either. And for the record, I've also commended the Bulldogs in this thread for their drafting and have nothing but respect for them.

Discussion has been done many times but clearly Bontempelli was not on everyone's radar because at the time of that draft he was a very late charging developer who was seen up until the week of the draft as a speculative, risk - reward pick. Most developing or rebuilding teams will take the safe money in the bank selection in preference to such a pick. However, in the week leading up to the draft our interest in Bontempelli was so well publicized that he was pictured on the cover of Inside Footy in a Pies jumper. After we selected Pendlebury in 05 all clubs have kept a close eye on who we have put time into. Most clubs have tried not to look dumb by missing out on the next Pendlebury. Bont was being billed by the media at the time as the next Pendlebury. Surprise surprise, ever since then we have been very tight lipped.
I've spoken with a few draft experts from clubs, and they say that the best recruiters know the players and don't get sidetracked by what media, clubs say.
Bont was very well known and rated. I suspect he was positioned in top few ie top 10 in most clubs boards.
Pendlebury was different because he didn't go via the classic route.
In fact I am sure he was our preferred even over Thomas but club was sure he would get to 5 and Thomas would not.
This helped our flag 2010

I've spoken with a few draft experts from clubs, and they say that the best recruiters know the players and don't get sidetracked by what media, clubs say.
Bont was very well known and rated. I suspect he was positioned in top few ie top 10 in most clubs boards.
Pendlebury was different because he didn't go via the classic route.
In fact I am sure he was our preferred even over Thomas but club was sure he would get to 5 and Thomas would not.
This helped our flag 2010

Happy to accept that from someone with the inside word. You have to admit though, it was a big call from the dogs at the time given Scharenberg was described by at least one SA recruiter as the best player he'd seen since Carey.

The height I have for him is 188cm which was back in August
Thanks blue trinity.
You seem way too nice for Carlton supporter ;)
You are welcome to join us on the dark side.
Many thanks for the info

Happy to accept that from someone with the inside word. You have to admit though, it was a big call from the dogs at the time given Scharenberg was described by at least one SA recruiter as the best player he'd seen since Carey.
Yes true.
I believe both were very well regarded. Toss up of sorts, with slight leaning to Bont.

Who cares about the bont and the Bulldogs anymore, I'm more interested in this guy below and finding out what height he really is :)
151125_sier300.jpg
Taller than Ben Kennedy the Melbourne guy, that's the Intel thus far.
(It's a start)

Yes true.
I believe both were very well regarded. Toss up of sorts, with slight leaning to Bont.

Indeed. But to avoid further derailing this thread. I'm actually, believe it or not, long past caring about Bontempelli and the Bulldogs and much more interested in discussing Sier and as I said a while back! we've had this merry go round of arguments before. I really, really don't care. The only thing that bothers me occasionally is having my posts and others described as 'ridiculous, stupid and insulting' when they haven't even been properly examined by people. I find it 'ridiculous, stupid and insulting.' But apart from that, I'm not one of those Big Footy, Monty Python I Came Here For an Argument posters so if anyone else wants to dispute the nature of the Bontempelli draft I'm happy to say I was wrong about it, we had no influence, you are all correct and I am completely wrong, if it means we can get back to talking about Sier.

Indeed. But to avoid further derailing this thread. I'm actually, believe it or not, long past caring about Bontempelli and the Bulldogs and much more interested in discussing Sier and as I said a while back! we've had this merry go round of arguments before. I really, really don't care. The only thing that bothers me occasionally is having my posts and others described as 'ridiculous, stupid and insulting' when they haven't even been properly examined by people. I find it 'ridiculous, stupid and insulting.' But apart from that, I'm not one of those Big Footy, Monty Python I Came Here For an Argument posters so if anyone else wants to dispute the nature of the Bontempelli draft I'm happy to say I was wrong about it, we had no influence, you are all correct and I am completely wrong, if it means we can get back to talking about Sier.
I don't mind your posts. For what it's worth, insults don't help any poster in my view.
No insults should be directed at any poster as a rule.

I do like the Sier we now have.
Why? Main reason because he's ours!
He does throw a certain Bont comparison.
I'm hopeful he becomes a top liner

Well they would of Checked because of Hine's Record at Drafts
Hine is not God, and stop making him into something he is not. If his selection of Sier proves a dud and any of the 'bargains' taken after him, Hibberd, Bonner, Balic, Cole or Mathieson, do better than him, then Hine will look a fool. In my view, Hine has staked his reputation on this selection, particularly as it was our first selection in this draft.

Last edited:
`Hine is not God, and stop making him into something he is not. If his selection of Ser proves a dud and any of the 'bargains' taken after him, Hibberd, Bonner, Balic, Cole or Mathieson, do better than him, then Hine will look a fool. In my view, Hine has staked his reputation on this selection, particularly as it was our first selection in this draft.
Do you have proof Hine ISN'T a god????Greek mythology tells us gods once walked among men,unless you have proof,keep your absurd assumptions to yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hine is not God, and stop making him into something he is not. If his selection of Sier proves a dud and any of the 'bargains' taken after him, Hibberd, Bonner, Balic, Cole or Mathieson, do better than him, then Hine will look a fool. In my view, Hine has staked his reputation on this selection, particularly as it was our first selection in this draft.

Hahaahah You're a twat.

No one is a god, but neither is his reputation built on sier.
He is simply some doing his job with the best he's got.
The better he does the longer he stays,assuming retirement doesn't happen first.
He's obviously is good

It's not stupid and insulting. I could mount an equally valid argument that it's 'ridiculous' to say that clubs operate in a vacuum and take no notice of what eachother are doing. Any industry that is competitive involves people competing and reacting to each others moves. This is like you all saying two corporations or businesses take no notice of what the other is doing and operate completely independently of eachother!

You guys also make a blind assumption that every club is across every player. They're not. No club has the resources to have done due diligence on every kid. A case in point is Dalhaus. I saw his second last school boys game at port Melbourne and it was the most stunning game of school boy footy I'd ever seen. Only one team had a scout there that day, the Bulldogs. Luck, or due diligence. But whatever, they can't be everywhere at once. So sometimes they take notice of what other clubs are up to, especially if they are a well resourced and financed operation like Collingwood with a track record for making good decisions on kids.

In being so categorical and dismissive on this topic, none of you have managed to explain why the bulldogs did an about face and did very late interview and due diligence on Bontempelli the week before the draft when they had not been linked to him by any media source up to that point nor can you explain why they chose a late blooming, higher risk/reward pick with a top 5 pick when almost no club had taken such a risk in the history of the draft apart from Collingwood with Pendlebury. And interestingly, Bontempelli was being billed as the next Pendlebury.

The bottom line is, nobody knows for sure. But don't ridicule people for putting forward a perfectly valid and logical point of view when you don't know what really happened either. And for the record, I've also commended the Bulldogs in this thread for their drafting and have nothing but respect for them.
Well said

Do you have proof Hine ISN'T a god????Greek mythology tells us gods once walked among men,unless you have proof,keep your absurd assumptions to yourself.

I think you need to be corrected he is a demi-god . He is not in the level of Zeus , Poseidon , or Eddie he is in between a god and a human ie ulysses and hercules.

I think you need to be corrected he is a demi-god . He is not in the level of Zeus , Poseidon , or Eddie he is in between a god and a human ie ulysses and hercules.

I liken him to Hephaestus....

Forging great weapons for our great club.

His entire reputation rests on pick 32 in 2015, you say.

Yeeeeeeeeah... nah.

I think you need to be corrected he is a demi-god . He is not in the level of Zeus , Poseidon or Eddie he is in between a god and a human ie ulysses and hercules.
My post never stated hine was a god,i just wanted to see if TGG had proof he wasn't since he posted with such gumption;)
Im with you though,demi-god would be more appropriate.
Dont mention poseidon please,that was my fraction at primary school and despite my best efforts,we were annual wooden spooners(colours should hav been navy blue instead of green)

Hine did put his nuts on the line with the Sier selection... Considering we didn't have a 1st round pick this year and probably won't next year, he really needed to nail that selection and if those more proven names available turn out the goods and Sier is a bust, Derek will look quite the dickhead. Here's hoping not of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back