Welcome to Collingwood Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

• He averaged 18.8 disposals (including 11 contested possessions), four marks and more than seven tackles per game in the 2011 TAC Cup competition and went on to win the Murray Bushrangers’ Best & Fairest award.
• His performances also earned him selection in the 2011 TAC Cup Team of the Year.
• He was selected in the Victoria Country team for the National Championships where he was noted for his hard-tackling and one per centers. In fact, he averaged 15 pressure acts per match throughout the carnival.
• After catching the eye of AFL recruiters, he was invited to take part in the 2011 AFL Draft Combine where he finished top 10 in two events - standing vertical jump and kicking assessment (in which he scored 83 per cent). He also set a personal best in the 3km time-trial

I can see why Hine and Co Rated him with the Tackling,1% and the Pressure Acts. They are both rated down at Collingwood.

Interesting in the Combine he did very well in Vertical Leap and the Kicking Tests

http://www.lions.com.au/player-profile/jack-crisp

I can see why Hine and Co Rated him with the Tackling,1% and the Pressure Acts. They are both rated down at Collingwood.

Interesting in the Combine he did very well in Vertical Leap and the Kicking Tests

http://www.lions.com.au/player-profile/jack-crisp

The kicking thing is interesting Dave. I feel like we've had other guys come through (Adams, Freeman?) who on the face of it seem like good kicks, they perform well when it's a closed skill, like at the combine but it goes to pieces under match pressure, perhaps when they have only a split second to execute the skill.

Crisp may well be in that category, judging by his footage being a taller body it may be that he spends too long getting ball to boot to be effective. On the plus side, he seems to be a left footer, or at least every clip I've seen of him kicking has been on the left.

Whatever the situation, this is clearly the issue that will make or break him IMO. In every other capacity he is ideal - size, endurance, defensive game, ability to win the ball, speed. It's kick or be kicked for Crispo.

In this respect, I'd liken him on our list to Jonathan Marsh, a project player with almost ideal attributes, that will sink or swim on his ability to improve his kicking quality and efficiency. Unless he's going to be one of those mids who plays 4 quarters and just handballs!

The kicking thing is interesting Dave. I feel like we've had other guys come through (Adams, Freeman?) who on the face of it seem like good kicks, they perform well when it's a closed skill, like at the combine but it goes to pieces under match pressure, perhaps when they have only a split second to execute the skill.

Crisp may well be in that category, judging by his footage being a taller body it may be that he spends too long getting ball to boot to be effective. On the plus side, he seems to be a left footer, or at least every clip I've seen of him kicking has been on the left.

Whatever the situation, this is clearly the issue that will make or break him IMO. In every other capacity he is ideal - size, endurance, defensive game, ability to win the ball, speed. It's kick or be kicked for Crispo.

In this respect, I'd liken him on our list to Jonathan Marsh, a project player with almost ideal attributes, that will sink or swim on his ability to improve his kicking quality and efficiency. Unless he's going to be one of those mids who plays 4 quarters and just handballs!

The Video did show when he had space and time, He could use the Ball well. So I guess in Contested Possesions he does not use the Ball well by Foot. Though by Hands he suppose to be fantastic

!
Adams seems to kick the ball well under pressure, give him a bit of space and they squirt that annoying bit short or wide

Isaac Smith seems to get away with being an average kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he scored 83% then that's a total of 25 / 30 on the kicking test, which isn't bad (target only had to move a little on some kicks). The kicking test is just to stationary targets though - weighting a kick for a player on the move is a different skill entirely and that's what you're doing 95% of the time in match conditions (timing the kick properly and weighting it correctly is easily the hardest skill to master in aussie rules especially under pressure).

From the limited video I've been able to watch (highlights) Like most taller players he appears to have an issue with a slightly high / unsteady release of the ball and he appears to drop it down onto the boot from around hip height rather than guiding it down onto the boot a bit lower with his hand (not Ben Johnson-esque by any means but it's not a nice, controlled ball drop either)- looks a little unco actually for a left footer as they're normally silky smooth on their preferred side.

He is quick for his size though and he's got that nice leap on him as advertised as well.

The Reason he was in the Rookie Draft because at that time he was more of an Athelete then a Footballer?

But he is getting Better at being a Footballer, The More games he Plays?

Out of all the blokes we got Crisp is the only one I see making us better in the long term but that is reliant on him learning how to kick I think in the sun it had the stats saying his kicking efficiency is almost 10% below AFL average and that should not be acceptable needs to improve a great deal in that regard before he can be considered for senior selection.He will be one I will enjoy following in the VFL next year. At the end of the day he is still a big risk

Out of all the blokes we got Crisp is the only one I see making us better in the long term but that is reliant on him learning how to kick I think in the sun it had the stats saying his kicking efficiency is almost 10% below AFL average and that should not be acceptable needs to improve a great deal in that regard before he can be considered for senior selection.He will be one I will enjoy following in the VFL next year. At the end of the day he is still a big risk
Good assessment

The only kick that matter in footy is if you can hit a target 35m away on a 45 degree angle (usually over an opponents head). That's the be all and end all of kicks and the only one worth measuring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back