Welcome to Collingwood Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Gets less hate then Tony Armstrong.
Why all the Tony Armstrong negativity?
He came in a few occasions and was far from disgraced.
From memory he had a decent disposal efficiency and made good decisions whilst he may never reach lofty heights he is far from spud or plodder status imo
Even if he is only depth for us he isn't attracting a huge wage and performs his role.

He is no Luke Godden or Jason Wild that's for sure.

Why all the Tony Armstrong negativity?
He came in a few occasions and was far from disgraced.
From memory he had a decent disposal efficiency and made good decisions whilst he may never reach lofty heights he is far from spud or plodder status imo
Even if he is only depth for us he isn't attracting a huge wage and performs his role.

He is no Luke Godden or Jason Wild that's for sure.

I think mike is pointing out the hypocrisy. How it's open season on one player(Tony Armstong) but seemingly the same posters defending Jack Crisp.

Intesting Video of him in the U-18 Champs in 2011:

Looks like a gun in that video. Very quick hands, good vision, speed. Could be a winner.
From the sounds of it he might have been delisted from Brisbane anyway so we did get shafted but let's hope he comes good.

Looks like a gun in that video. Very quick hands, good vision, speed. Could be a winner.
From the sounds of it he might have been delisted from Brisbane anyway so we did get shafted but let's hope he comes good.

he looks pretty much like people have been saying - awesome athlete/mark with poor kicking technique.

As someone who played only to a suburban level but spent years and years practising to the point that I had good technique and a 40m kick of some accuracy on the WRONG side of my body (perfectionist to a fault) , it never ceases to amaze me the number of players at all clubs who just cannot kick on their favoured side. Perhaps it's just a type of pressure that I never experienced , players starting late or developing bad habits etc........ Either way I can't think of too many sports where the absolute fundamentals are routinely so poor at the elite level.

he looks pretty much like people have been saying - awesome athlete/mark with poor kicking technique.

As someone who played only to a suburban level but spent years and years practising to the point that I had good technique and a 40m kick of some accuracy on the WRONG side of my body (perfectionist to a fault) , it never ceases to amaze me the number of players at all clubs who just cannot kick on their favoured side. Perhaps it's just a type of pressure that I never experienced , players starting late or developing bad habits etc........ Either way I can't think of too many sports where the absolute fundamentals are routinely so poor at the elite level.
Im the same. I would refuse to pay anyone more than 200k if they can't kick on their opposite foot. Really, its not hard.

Im the same. I would refuse to pay anyone more than 200k if they can't kick on their opposite foot. Really, its not hard.
On the run I don't think it's something you can practice. You've either got it or you don't. It's why most left footers stay on their left foot.

Some pretty handy players came from 2011 rookie draft.
Crisp was taken by Brisbane at 40.
we took Marley Williams at 35.
Essendon took Mark Baguley at 47 (50 games)
Geelong took Mark Blicavs at 54 (45 games)
North Melbourne Sam Gibson at 63 (60 games)
Fremantle took Clancee Pearce at 75 (52 games)
Sydney took Harry Cunningham at 93 (31 games) including GD this year.

What I am trying to say is: you don't have to be a top 10 pick to be a good player.
Recruiters get it wrong or players step up later (late bloomers).

From what I have seen of Crisp I actually like.
He does the right things and looks good with the ball.
I don't even think he is that bad a kick as people make him out to be.
I watched a bit of Melbourne v Brisbane game rd. 19 this year and he hit targets.
Also took a run which virtually covered half the field and hit a forward on the chest resulting in a goal.

Nah, they offered him a 2 year contract, (eventually).
In the mean time he told his manager to explore options.
Was potentially headed to Bombers and then the Paddy deal fell over and the rest is history.
I like the boy!

Because for some blokes they may be pros but they don't have the dedication to do that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I am trying to say is: you don't have to be a top 10 pick to be a good player.

I watched a bit of Melbourne v Brisbane game rd. 19 this year and he hit targets.
Also took a run which virtually covered half the field and hit a forward on the chest resulting in a goal.

Wow. Interesting, thanks for that. Just as a reference heres the players taken between picks 40-50 from the national draft the same year. Doesnt prove anything on its own but shows yet again how much of an inexact science drafting can be

40 - Tom Curran - 0 games
41 - Mitchell Grigg - 14 games
42 - Jimmy Webster - 22 games
43 - Jordan Lockyer - 0 games
44 - Sam Rowe - 31 games
45 - Brendon Ah Chee - 0 games
46 - Nicholas Joyce - 0 games
47 - Patrick Wearden - 0 games
48 - Jordan Murdoch - 36 games
49 - Daniel Pearce - 5 games

Good observations. Everyone who was involved with his junior footy at TAC Cup level has said he has worked very hard on his kicking and it's paid dividends and he said himself that running and carrying the footy is his strength. He went for a long run in nearly every game played this season.

It's exactly what we are missing - good ball carriers.
Hawthorn have a few of them - (Hill, Burgoyne, Issac Smith).
We will bring Freeman in next year also who has speed and also Varcoe.
The team immediately looks different.
Everyone has to now follow the Port Adelaide model.
If you don't have run, they will run you ragged.
They would have beat Hawthorn in Prelim if it was not for inaccurate kicking for goal.

Maybe that's the Port Adelaide flaw though? Too much running = worse scoring efficiency due to fatigue?
Not in that game, they missed easy shots in the first half and they wouldn't have been fatigued then.

You beat me to it. They kicked 3.9 in the first quarter.
I went to the game. Free admission on AFL Membership. :):cool::D
Some of those points were gimmes.
Hawthorn just did not miss on the other hand.
Some cheap free kicks in front of goal got them back in the game 2nd quarter.
Port were the better side on the day everywhere except the scoreboard.

From the little I've seen of him he has good pace but has average footskills at best. If we try to use him as a flanker or winger he won't see much AFL time imo.

On other hand, he has good height and strength, clean hands, good tackler and makes relatively good decisions under pressure. We should be trying to turn him into a long term replacement/upgrade on Luke Ball. I don't see the point of recruiting him otherwise.

He has good physical attributes and other than kicking looks pretty solid. I'm quietly optimistic that we can turn him into a good senior player

From the little I've seen of him he has good pace but has average footskills at best. If we try to use him as a flanker or winger he won't see much AFL time imo.

On other hand, he has good height and strength, clean hands, good tackler and makes relatively good decisions under pressure. We should be trying to turn him into a long term replacement/upgrade on Luke Ball. I don't see the point of recruiting him otherwise.

He has good physical attributes and other than kicking looks pretty solid. I'm quietly optimistic that we can turn him into a good senior player

Agree completely. Develop him to an inside mid and keep him there unless he improves his kicking.

On the run I don't think it's something you can practice. You've either got it or you don't. It's why most left footers stay on their left foot.

"On the run"...you've nailed it. AFL players clearly work on their skills but putting those skills into practice in after gut running a few hundred metres is another thing.
And there is a lot more to think about at AFL level with set plays etc. I was an average suburban player who could execute skills pretty well - but the quality of these skills degraded the longer the match went.

Realistically..........how possible is it at the elite level to "develop" a tall running player into an inside mid?

I would start him in a run with role so his opponent can take him to the ball. He then learns more about positioning etc.
After a while he starts to get his own ball - he already has the physical attributes.

Turning Crisp into an inside mid is much easier than transforming someone light eg Kennedy or Sinclair

So when Jack got a gig in the senior team he showed potential. Maybe he lost a bit of passion playing for Brisbane reserves. I really do hope he finds himself at Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back