News Welcome to Collingwood - Jesse White

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a joke right?

He wouldn't have been any worse than Dawes at the second ruck role. Dawes was so bad the second ruck role we should have it someone like Cameron Wood should have been given more off a go. It would also allow Dawes to play a role he is actually good at, the second key forward. My preffered option would have been to debuted Ceglar. Even if the results of trying something new doesn't work out, it is still better than persisting with something that clearly doesn't work.

White has much better hands then Dawes

People forget when Dawes was playing at Collingwood in 10/11 he had great delivery our forward delivery the past 2 years would be the worst in the comp
Really? I can't recall a worse mark than white at Collingwood. I am sure there have been a few but I can't think of one. Dawes is a better mark than White and by a country mile. The only thing White does better than Dawes is run and even then it is to non dangerous positions. Whatever exaggerated deficiencies Dawes may have he is an old fashioned CHF the likes of which would have won us a flag or two under Hafey and the likes of which significantly helped us structure up a premiership forward line in 2010.

There is no more over rated and over valued footballer than the agile quick for his height tall. Give then Buddy's ability and they are worth his salary but most of them play 100 games on potential that never quite materialises. White is a poor man's Josh Fraser.

Dawes has had one decent year of football. Kicked 30 goals in 2010. In fact over his career he averages 1.1 goals per game.

Not good enough for a key forward....To put that into perspective. Dayne Beams averages 1.1 goals per game in his career.....and his main job is to get it to the key forwards not actually kick the goals

Really? I can't recall a worse mark than white at Collingwood. I am sure there have been a few but I can't think of one. Dawes is a better mark than White and by a country mile. The only thing White does better than Dawes is run and even then it is to non dangerous positions. Whatever exaggerated deficiencies Dawes may have he is an old fashioned CHF the likes of which would have won us a flag or two under Hafey and the likes of which significantly helped us structure up a premiership forward line in 2010.

There is no more over rated and over valued footballer than the agile quick for his height tall. Give then Buddy's ability and they are worth his salary but most of them play 100 games on potential that never quite materialises. White is a poor man's Josh Fraser.

White's biggest problem is his intensity. He looks half asleep most of the time. If he can play as a high half forward we may get some value out of him, but that will depend on his ability to mark the footy. A lot of ifs there unfortunately. Moore could very well replace him before the end of the season.

Dawes has had one decent year of football. Kicked 30 goals in 2010. In fact over his career he averages 1.1 goals per game.

Not good enough for a key forward....To put that into perspective. Dayne Beams averages 1.1 goals per game in his career.....and his main job is to get it to the key forwards not actually kick the goals

Stop using actual facts to demonstrate that Dawes was just an average player.

The reality is that Brown, Dawes, Lynch and White WERE/are all relatively average players. The difference is that Brown and Dawes were part of the 2010 and 11 sides and therefore some people judge them more highly. However I think the stats will show there iisnot a lot between them. As you have shown, 30 goals for a session is not the greatest high water mark for a KPF.

The reality is that Brown, Dawes, Lynch and White WERE/are all relatively average players. The difference is that Brown and Dawes were part of the 2010 and 11 sides and therefore some people judge them more highly. However I think the stats will show there iisnot a lot between them. As you have shown, 30 goals for a session is not the greatest high water mark for a KPF.

And who here is saying Dawes is a star?

Now just on Jessie White, the delivery to him this year has just as poor to him as it was to Cloke.

Dawes starting grabbing some at Melbourne but before that he was horrendous, awful. Always trying to mark the ball on his chest and so many bounced out of his hands it's not funny.

I heard an interview with Leigh Matthews today and he was asked about his comment about a 17 year old Ablett at Hawthorn. He said that those people who said Hawthorn made a big mistake by letting him go at that point were having a lend. At that point Ablett wasn't a champion player.

Suffice it to say that Dawes isn't the left testicle of Ablett so any talk about us making a mistake is just retrospective, mishevious nonsense. And in fact, as has been gone over before, Jesse White has produced better numbers for us in the forward/ruck role than Dawes ever did.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...46&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2013&fid2=P&fopt2=2012

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah can't argue but then the sum of the parts can be greater than the whole. Which sums up 2010/11, at least given what has happened since, does it not?

Dawes was and still is ******* s**t seriously anyone remember how he would tap the ball up like a volley baller when a mark would come in

And who here is saying Dawes is a star?

I don't think many if any are saying he is a star, but I believe they are arguing that Dawes was better than White. Yes Dawes was important in the second half of 2010 and critical to our flag, but that was a small period of time and overall I see Brown, Dawes, Lynch and White as about par. Unless White can raise his output I doubt he will be of any future success. But the same would apply to Dawes.

Dawes starting grabbing some at Melbourne but before that he was horrendous, awful. Always trying to mark the ball on his chest and so many bounced out of his hands it's not funny.

I heard an interview with Leigh Matthews today and he was asked about his comment about a 17 year old Ablett at Hawthorn. He said that those people who said Hawthorn made a big mistake by letting him go at that point were having a lend. At that point Ablett wasn't a champion player.

Suffice it to say that Dawes isn't the left testicle of Ablett so any talk about us making a mistake is just retrospective, mishevious nonsense. And in fact, as has been gone over before, Jesse White has produced better numbers for us in the forward/ruck role than Dawes ever did.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...46&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2013&fid2=P&fopt2=2012

Ablett wasn't let go by Hawthorn because he wasn't a champion at that point. Everybody at Hawthorn knew he was going to an out and out champion. He had well documented personal problems including stints when he was arrested and the Hawthorn coach who was an ex policeman had had enough and shunted him off to the Geelong country league to get him away from Melbourne.
In the case of Dawes, we have tried Lynch in his place. That failed. Then we tried White in Dawes place. That failed in White's first year. Since we let Dawes go we have been dropping down the ladder at an alarming rate. Obvious to anyone who knows anything about football that the decision to let Dawes go was a mistake. The only good thing about it, is that using Dawes draft pick to draft Broomhead is getting us a very good player.

I don't think many if any are saying he is a star, but I believe they are arguing that Dawes was better than White. Yes Dawes was important in the second half of 2010 and critical to our flag, but that was a small period of time and overall I see Brown, Dawes, Lynch and White as about par. Unless White can raise his output I doubt he will be of any future success. But the same would apply to Dawes.
Your concession that Dawes was critical to our flag success in 2010 reminds me of the joke in the Monty Python film, Life Of Brian, when the Jewish rebels pose the question. What have the Romans done?

Ablett wasn't let go by Hawthorn because he wasn't a champion at that point. Everybody at Hawthorn knew he was going to an out and out champion. He had well documented personal problems including stints when he was arrested and the Hawthorn coach who was an ex policeman had had enough and shunted him off to the Geelong country league to get him away from Melbourne.
In the case of Dawes, we have tried Lynch in his place. That failed. Then we tried White in Dawes place. That failed in White's first year. Since we let Dawes go we have been dropping down the ladder at an alarming rate. Obvious to anyone who knows anything about football that the decision to let Dawes go was a mistake. The only good thing about it, is that using Dawes draft pick to draft Broomhead is getting us a very good player.

To argue that we have dropped down the list because we let Dawes go is ridiculous. Anyone who knows anything about football understands that it is is not that simple. Issues such as clubs working out how to overcome our game plan; the decline of key players such as Jolly, Didak, Johnson, Ball, Maxwell; the low end draft picks we gave away to get Wood, Jolly and Ball leading up to 2010; and the bad injury record have far more to do with our decline than letting Dawes go.

Dawes is an average footballer. He would be handy but I don't think we would have performed any better if he had stayed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back