News Welcome to Collingwood - Jesse White

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I can't recall a worse mark than white at Collingwood. I am sure there have been a few but I can't think of one. Dawes is a better mark than White and by a country mile. The only thing White does better than Dawes is run and even then it is to non dangerous positions. Whatever exaggerated deficiencies Dawes may have he is an old fashioned CHF the likes of which would have won us a flag or two under Hafey and the likes of which significantly helped us structure up a premiership forward line in 2010.

There is no more over rated and over valued footballer than the agile quick for his height tall. Give then Buddy's ability and they are worth his salary but most of them play 100 games on potential that never quite materialises. White is a poor man's Josh Fraser.

Now Reid is gone, time for White to put back those 8kgs.

Any argument about Dawes should be comparing him to the guy we got directly in his place - Brodie Grundy. (ie. the guy we used with the Compo pick - Grundy is a closer fit than BenKen or Broomhead) I would choose Grundy over Dawes every day of the week.
Now that that's out of the way:

Over their careers (so far), I would say that Lynch is clearly the better player of the 3, at least at his peak, but we didn't have him at his peak, we had brought him in to play a particular role that was required at that stage, and which Dawes had not shown the ability to do - be able to play 2nd ruck. At that stage, Dawes probably was a better forward (though that is arguable) but not by enough to negate the fact that we needed someone to play 2nd ruck, and at that stage there was no sign of when Witts would be ready, and Grundy hadn't been drafted yet.

As for White - vs - Dawes.
Dawes is probably a better traditional forward... he had the body and attributes of a full forward, and could read the play well (at least better than White), but for a number of factors (probably) he had completely lost confidence and wasn't being that useful as a forward... and although he's had some good stretches with the Dee's, I've not seen enough to suggest that he will reach the potential that we all hoped for after 2010.
However, White is a better ruck (which you can argue we require less now - but still gives flexibility), but I think he is also a better complement for Cloke.

Ablett wasn't let go by Hawthorn because he wasn't a champion at that point. Everybody at Hawthorn knew he was going to an out and out champion. He had well documented personal problems including stints when he was arrested and the Hawthorn coach who was an ex policeman had had enough and shunted him off to the Geelong country league to get him away from Melbourne.
In the case of Dawes, we have tried Lynch in his place. That failed. Then we tried White in Dawes place. That failed in White's first year. Since we let Dawes go we have been dropping down the ladder at an alarming rate. Obvious to anyone who knows anything about football that the decision to let Dawes go was a mistake. The only good thing about it, is that using Dawes draft pick to draft Broomhead is getting us a very good player.

Garbage. Firstly, there was no sense that Ablett would be 'an out and out champion' at that point because he wasn't. Secondly, Allen Jeans was the epitome of a hard-arse and didn't want any truck with his carry-on then. He was sent packing because although he showed talent, he was a pain in the arse.

Last edited:

I actually found myself feeling sorry for the guy.
Truth is though he is out of his depth at this level.
I cant feel sorry for him. Hes got all the attributes to make a good player. But when you continually do stupid things it just goes to show hes not listening to coaches or he doesnt care. Why would anyone think in the dying minutes of a quarter to kick across goal coming out of defence? Its like hes never played the game before. U12s get taught to kick down the line out of defence

Last edited:
I cant feel sorry for him. Hes got all the attributes to make a good player. But when you continually do stupid things it just goes to show hes not listening to coaches or he doesnt care. Why would anyone thing in the dying minutes of a quarter kick across goal coming out of defence? Its like hes never played the game before. U12s get taught to kick down the line out of defence
Agree with everything you say peppercranium, it's just that he was so s**t last night that I could't help feeling bad for him. As far as degrees of s**t go he broke the record, Was painful to watch

You gotta feel sorry for a guy like that.

I thought he'd be able to carve out of a career at Collingwood. But just goes to show he's not up to standard.

Probably time to give him the boot. The swans gave him a career full of chances. Now Collingwood are doing the same.

He needs half a season setting VFL alight to get back in contention for a senior spot. He just burned down the last chance saloon. Our game plan with agile tall forwards seems right for him and then he does this.Very disappointed.

He needs half a season setting VFL alight to get back in contention for a senior spot. He just burned down the last chance saloon. Our game plan with agile tall forwards seems right for him and then he does this.Very disappointed.

I really don't think it will matter, he needs a new club without high expectations.

I have always defended him and wish him the best this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The great White's height dashed
his flanker's yearning to roam --
our new Starcevich?

Starcevic better
Always played well in finals
Starcevic stays in

I wonder whether it has anything to do with his peripheral vision?

Of the two incidences that made me groan, the first punching instead of marking may have been the case but the second one, the 'Gubby Allen' moment kicking it to the hot zone maybe just a brain fade?

I've seen ineffective, terrible players with bad skills before, and certainly ones that don't have the physical attributes of White, but I have never seen a player be such a one man wrecking ball on his own team before.

Play anyone instead of him. Anyone. Put Blair at CHF if you have to, just keep this incredible liability out of the side.

I cant feel sorry for him. Hes got all the attributes to make a good player. But when you continually do stupid things it just goes to show hes not listening to coaches or he doesnt care. Why would anyone think in the dying minutes of a quarter to kick across goal coming out of defence? Its like hes never played the game before. U12s get taught to kick down the line out of defence

He has the Attributes but he has not got a Footy Brain.

He is a Athlete that is Playing Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back