Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think about the Pre-Season we are going to go Backwards Again next year then?
Read it again Dave. Last preseason. Not this one.

Players have come back very fit this year from all reports.

Read it again Dave. Last preseason. Not this one.

Players have come back very fit this year from all reports.

I was Confused.

What they do know is not super Important. It’s more how they return after the X-Mas and New Years Break

I'm pretty sure Marley Williams isn't going anywhere - He considered it a pretty big honour to be given the number by Johnno, and I can't imagine him deciding to change.

I just liked the post about giving 26 to our new 35, but I'd be the last bloke to volunteer for the job of telling Williams he had to give it up.

Yep.

Fasolo just needs to make his main priority achieving one entire solid year of decent, consistent football output for the team and getting some actual runs on the board. He is not yet or should not yet be any kind of celebrity, funny guy, elder statesman, nick-name deliverer or anything else that suggests he is better than anyone else until he has actually achieved something of note.

Fasolo comes across as a very intelligent bloke, I'd be shocked if his natural enthusiasm or vibrancy wasn't a positive vibe around the club.

If his ego was out of control, you wouldn't have got the humble and very professional response we saw when Maxwell took him to task.

Fasolo comes across as a very intelligent bloke, I'd be shocked if his natural enthusiasm or vibrancy wasn't a positive vibe around the club.

If his ego was out of control, you wouldn't have got the humble and very professional response we saw when Maxwell took him to task.

and IF his ego stays out of control. Then he won’t be at the Club for long

I don't understand how people running PB's could possibly be bad. An improvement is an improvement, and if people are improving, contrary to popular belief, they're not actually going backwards. Are people concerned with how few PB's there are? And should there really be more? These last couple of pages have been quite confusing really...

I agree re: Fasolo, whilst he certainly has an air of arrogance he appears as someone who could also be self-deprecating.

It was an impromptu time trial at the end of a training session that included a significant running component. 9 PBs out of 40 in the circumstances is exceptional.
I was an expert at setting low scores first up and just beating my times by little amounts. These young whipper snappers need an education

So you think about the Pre-Season we are going to go Backwards Again next year then?

Highly likely we continue to go backward next year unless we have a significantly better run with injuries and the kids develop our of their skin.

We're certainly a worse team on paper next year with less star power and less quality veteran leadership losing Beams, Ball, Maxwell and Lumumba. Even Lynch while a VFL guy was good veteran leadership. Losing that calibre of player and add mostly developing players and a few more experienced guys though hardly in the same class as the guys lost and we probably are worse.

Regarding pre-seasons which is what this discussion is about I do not think we push our players hard enough. Even back in the Malthouse days, so as not to continue throwing Nathan under the bus, even Jack Anthony when he left Collingwood for Fremantle back under then previous coach Mark Harvey. I'd be inclined to say it's long been a problem but just more recently has been increasing exaggerated.

Highly likely we continue to go backward next year unless we have a significantly better run with injuries and the kids develop our of their skin.

We're certainly a worse team on paper next year with less star power and less quality veteran leadership losing Beams, Ball, Maxwell and Lumumba. Even Lynch while a VFL guy was good veteran leadership. Losing that calibre of player and add mostly developing players and a few more experienced guys though hardly in the same class as the guys lost and we probably are worse.

Regarding pre-seasons which is what this discussion is about I do not think we push our players hard enough. Even back in the Malthouse days, so as not to continue throwing Nathan under the bus, even Jack Anthony when he left Collingwood for Fremantle back under then previous coach Mark Harvey. I'd be inclined to say it's long been a problem but just more recently has been increasing exaggerated.

So you would just Flog The Players as Hard as Possible.

So we still might draft Weildman’s Kid;)

So you would just Flog The Players as Hard as Possible.

So we still might draft Weildman’s Kid;)

I'd definitely flog them. Port Adelaide flog their guys the hardest and they're getting results. Just let the guys know before they head off on break that they're going to have the hardest preseason in the history of preseasons and strongly recommend they come back in good condition. Then give them hell through the preseason and see the results happen again as Port Adelaide have with their head training and the intensity of what they put their guys through.

Weideman is a 1/18 chance as we're just one of 18 clubs next year able to pick him. I'm not attached to kids with generational Collingwood links but he has good pedigree, is a nice height and size, can take a grab. So I wouldn't say no either if he looks like a genuine top 10 quality player next year and is available at our pick. We still need another key forward so I wouldn't rule him out as much as I won't necessarily be talking him up as a prospect either.

I'd definitely flog them. Port Adelaide flog their guys the hardest and they're getting results. Just let the guys know before they head off on break that they're going to have the hardest preseason in the history of preseasons and strongly recommend they come back in good condition. Then give them hell through the preseason and see the results happen again as Port Adelaide have with their head training and the intensity of what they put their guys through.[/quote

So, Our Conditioning people. In Your Opinion have the Complete and Utter Wrong Idea?

I am expecting a Lot Harder Training when they come back from there X-MAS and New Years Break.

Just think they want as many players Fit at that time so the They can do it to as most players are Possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fasolo is a bit misunderstood, and his reputation for having an ego is misinterpreted.
He's a joker. He likes to joke around and one of his jokes he plays up all the time is what a superstar he is.
So when he's talking s**t about how awesome he is, he's taking the piss. It's a common thing to see him at training praising himself, and the other guys play on the joke too.
He doesn't have the figjam type ego, and in general is a nice friendly guy, he's just more of a hyper personality and joker for his own good sometimes, it can get annoying. That's all there is to it. he's settled down in the last year or so, when he first started the players had to tell him to tone it down he was giving them the shits.

He's one of the best kicks in the AFL. I am so sick of hearing that he can't kick.
Are you Kidding!! One of the best kicks in the league. Do you even watch footy? He's one of the worst kicks for a guy who can fined the ball so well

Fasolo is a bit misunderstood, and his reputation for having an ego is misinterpreted.
He's a joker. He likes to joke around and one of his jokes he plays up all the time is what a superstar he is.
So when he's talking s**t about how awesome he is, he's taking the piss. It's a common thing to see him at training praising himself, and the other guys play on the joke too.
He doesn't have the figjam type ego, and in general is a nice friendly guy, he's just more of a hyper personality and joker for his own good sometimes, it can get annoying. That's all there is to it. he's settled down in the last year or so, when he first started the players had to tell him to tone it down he was giving them the shits.

If I've been too harsh on Fasolo then I'm happy to take a step back, especially in deference to someone who seems to know him quite well. I certainly don't know what sort of a bloke Fas is and was mainly reacting in response to the unconfirmed and probably second hand reports that he was giving Broomhead a hard time.

The issue of unbridled ego is also a sensitive one for me and I think a lot of fans at the moment because I think there has been a problem with our club culture driven by certain personalities that have viewed themselves as bigger than the Club. Many people see this as a possible reason why we didnt gain a little bit more success from our window of the last 3-4 years and feel that if we'd had a bit more humility and profssionalism about the place we might be in a better place today. But this is all speculation and personally I'm glad to see anyone who doesn't want to be at the Club moved on in favour of younger, more compliant players - which is exactly what we've done. But for it to work 'going forward' I think we need to have less of the rat pack/celebrity stuff at Collingwood and less of players fancying themselves as something special until theyve actually done something worthy of note. And then once theyve done something they can just work hard to do it again. That's what successful people and organisations do. It's called discipline and consistency.

From your description Fas does sound like an OK guy and to be honest, there's nothing wrong with a bit of humour and fun to make a workplace a good environment - you need people like that. So long as it is good natured and kept in check and at the end of the day he knows his place.

With the egos that have exited our side in the last 3 years it's no wonder some of us are a little jumpy about personalities within the Club!

I am beginning to think that attitude is becoming a determining factor in drafting. It was always questioned and something to note, but most clubs picked talent and believed "he'll be right in our club culture" hoping for the best. These days, particularly with the Leading Teams approach, attitude and buy in is a premium trait and highly valued. I'd say our recruiters would take a slightly less talented bloke who displayed the right character rather than an elite Akermanis type that will cause headaches.

Definitely a strong consideration but I think if push came to shove, if a kid with character flaws has got enough talent most clubs would still take a risk and have the faith that their systems could manage him. Just as often it's players without any perceived character issues who fall of the wagon so all players have a level of risk no matter how much due dilligence you do. Age profile of our list might make the club less likely to draft these types though than say Hawthorn, Freo or Sydney.

If I've been too harsh on Fasolo then I'm happy to take a step back, especially in deference to someone who seems to know him quite well. I certainly don't know what sort of a bloke Fas is and was mainly reacting in response to the unconfirmed and probably second hand reports that he was giving Broomhead a hard time.

The issue of unbridled ego is also a sensitive one for me and I think a lot of fans at the moment because I think there has been a problem with our club culture driven by certain personalities that have viewed themselves as bigger than the Club. Many people see this as a possible reason why we didnt gain a little bit more success from our window of the last 3-4 years and feel that if we'd had a bit more humility and profssionalism about the place we might be in a better place today. But this is all speculation and personally I'm glad to see anyone who doesn't want to be at the Club moved on in favour of younger, more compliant players - which is exactly what we've done. But for it to work 'going forward' I think we need to have less of the rat pack/celebrity stuff at Collingwood and less of players fancying themselves as something special until theyve actually done something worthy of note. And then once theyve done something they can just work hard to do it again. That's what successful people and organisations do. It's called discipline and consistency.

From your description Fas does sound like an OK guy and to be honest, there's nothing wrong with a bit of humour and fun to make a workplace a good environment - you need people like that. So long as it is good natured and kept in check and at the end of the day he knows his place.

With the egos that have exited our side in the last 3 years it's no wonder some of us are a little jumpy about personalities within the Club!

He knows exactly where he is at and knows when to be like that and not to. His sister keeps him pretty grounded I believe and I may be wrong, but pretty sure he is studying psychology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back