Welcome to Collingwood: Our new Barkly Brothers and Sisters

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood has been allocated the Barkly region of Northern Territory for running a development program ...

mapnt.jpg

... What is this region? Who lives there? Let's find out more about it ...

According the Wikipedia, this region covers a size of 322,514 square kilometres. That's basically the size of Victoria and Tasmania put together. It's big!

The population of this region is 8,077 people. That's not many, but that's OK, because it means we can get to know them well. It's quality, not quantity. And you only need 22 lads for a mens footy team, and another 22 ladies for a women's team - so there is plenty.

So the main town in this region is Tennant Creek. Here's a pic of the main street ...

270px-Tennant-creek0116.jpg

This is Barb Shaw, she's the Barkly Council President:

Barb-Photo-Website-Circle.jpg

Here are some pics from the 2015 Barkly AFL Grand Final which featured the Sporties Spitfires (wearing the red sash) taking on the Eagles (in the West Coast colours):

DSC6969.jpg

DSC7199.jpg

DSC7499.jpg

Clearly a Collingwood man ...

DSC7799.jpg

Check out this lad's awesome kicking action! ...

DSC8306.jpg

DSC8307.jpg

DSC8333.jpg

Last edited:

The Barkly & District AFL Football league have 7 teams ...

The Sporties "Spitfires" Football Club based in Tennant Creek:

DSC7182.jpg

The Janapurlalki "Eagles" Football Club also based in Tennant Creek:

DSC8239.jpg

There's the Elliott 'Hawks' Football club based in Elliott. The Northern Territory government website describes Elliott as being "smack bang in the middle of the northern territory"

You can read more about the community of Elliott here: http://barkly.nt.gov.au/communities/elliott

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,ESbis4xIB2Cy6SGxliG7qcXgMdn5-FHLihp0SjCF3YPzm0pBmcTTlG7Nx5Ia0ShThka5Fg3ug0sA4Drryzh2G5T_5JpSVqWytEL5I1VrDA2PexbrmIdHIt4o_StWpU1JARUwPUPKdaHUV804wmjkk7WBND1Esbg7u1aVYLJYL1QV1aJI6wqE0pB7T83bWheGXfWXtHArZ8XJqg

The Ali Curung "Kangaroos" Football Club based in Ali Curung

Ali Curing means "Dog Dreaming" in the local language. It's a community with a population of around 960:

You can read more about this town here: http://barkly.nt.gov.au/communities/ali-curung

strong-community-ali-curung.jpg

The YDU "Demons" Football Club based in Tennant Creek ...

429993_175316559302553_1222604547_n.jpg

The Canteen Creek Blues Football Club, located in Canteen Creek ...

480441473_640.jpg

And finally the Barkly Work Camp has a team. They're also based in Tennant Creek

Barkly's very own Dane Swan!

Is it the sleeve tatts?
Or the laconic hat on backwards?
Or him being decorated with the medal around his neck?

Or simply all of the above?

Wutunugurra is a small community of 220 people located in the Barkly region.

They released a Christmas album ... in June. But that's cool - they do things a bit differently and there's nothing wrong with that.

IMG_4170-340x226.jpg

You can see their album launch in Vimeo below ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Barkly & District AFL Football league have 7 teams ...

There's the Elliott 'Hawks' Football club based in Elliott. The Northern Territory government website describes Elliott as being "smack bang in the middle of the northern territory"

You can read more about the community of Elliott here: http://barkly.nt.gov.au/communities/elliott

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,ESbis4xIB2Cy6SGxliG7qcXgMdn5-FHLihp0SjCF3YPzm0pBmcTTlG7Nx5Ia0ShThka5Fg3ug0sA4Drryzh2G5T_5JpSVqWytEL5I1VrDA2PexbrmIdHIt4o_StWpU1JARUwPUPKdaHUV804wmjkk7WBND1Esbg7u1aVYLJYL1QV1aJI6wqE0pB7T83bWheGXfWXtHArZ8XJqg
Jake Neade is from Elliott. We sure could use a player like him...

AFL_Barkly_200x200.jpg

AFL Barkly–
@AFLBarkly
The Official Twitter account for the Barkly Australian Football League

Tennant Creek NT
10 FOLLOWING850 FOLLOWERS

Dec 31
AFL Barkly ‏@AFLBarkly
Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2016.

17b8631a915b6a454767af803d1d2925.jpg

Dec 20
AFL Barkly ‏@AFLBarkly
#TennantCreek quartet go undeafated through their tour of #Ireland against local teams. http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/afl/tennant-creek-quartet-go-undeafated-through-their-tour-of-ireland-against-local-teams/news-story/10c969554866baac3542f3e5740c4064 … #AFL

FROM never kicking a round ball in Tennant Creek to beating the Irish in Ireland.

That is the story and journey of Barkly quartet — Liam Holt-Fitz, Matthew Green, Mattaniah Bain and Kyrell Barton who beat the Irish in a number of contests at the hybrid International Rules game over the past fortnight.

Terrific stuff 76woodenspooners

When I first heard about this, the import didn't really sink in. But now I'm starting to pay attention, and its exciting. Potentially a highly beneficial two-way program between AFL clubs and these remote communities. I hope the Pies use some of our buckets of money to fully fund and support this. I can see us getting a fantastic return, while doing some really good work.

Terrific stuff 76woodenspooners

When I first heard about this, the import didn't really sink in. But now I'm starting to pay attention, and its exciting. Potentially a highly beneficial two-way program between AFL clubs and these remote communities. I hope the Pies use some of our buckets of money to fully fund and support this. I can see us getting a fantastic return, while doing some really good work.

Trying to be realistic here, but what kind of return do you expect from an incredibly big region that contains 7000-8000 people?

Collingwood has been allocated the Barkly region of Northern Territory for running a development program ...

mapnt.jpg

... What is this region? Who lives there? Let's find out more about it ...

According the Wikipedia, this region covers a size of 322,514 square kilometres. That's basically the size of Victoria and Tasmania put together. It's big!

The population of this region is 8,077 people. That's not many, but that's OK, because it means we can get to know them well. It's quality, not quantity. And you only need 22 lads for a mens footy team, and another 22 ladies for a women's team - so there is plenty.

So the main town in this region is Tennant Creek. Here's a pic of the main street ...

270px-Tennant-creek0116.jpg

This is Barb Shaw, she's the Barkly Council President:

Barb-Photo-Website-Circle.jpg

Here are some pics from the 2015 Barkly AFL Grand Final which featured the Sporties Spitfires (wearing the red sash) taking on the Eagles (in the West Coast colours):

DSC6969.jpg

DSC7199.jpg

DSC7499.jpg

Clearly a Collingwood man ...

DSC7799.jpg

Check out this lad's awesome kicking action! ...

DSC8306.jpg

DSC8307.jpg

DSC8333.jpg

Awesome post 76. Much appreciated!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back