List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think loyalty is a characteristic that should be proclaimed, but earnt.
I assumed that's in the context of fears of NT boys going home - he got asked about it specifically in that interview on the Cats website, seemed keen to stress that he was happy to move wherever to player footy.

I have a feeling that some out of state players from Aboriginal backgrounds are conscious of the "GoHome" perception about them , Picket was strong on him willing to go elsewhere in teh interview I saw. Mayb he is just trying to counter any thoughts of "go home" ..Im loyal as in a Geelong picked me and Im happy and willing to go there. Whether that means anything 3 to 4 years down the track....

I assumed that's in the context of fears of NT boys going home - he got asked about it specifically in that interview on the Cats website, seemed keen to stress that he was happy to move wherever to player footy.

I should read futher down before posting , just my thoughts. Would it hurt that Motlop was one of the first names mentioned ... not at all.

Exactly. But in an age of more free-flowing player movement, I'm happy for players to want to strive to become loyal to the club that drafted them. I won't begrudge him for saying it, provided he lives up to the claim.

Love his energy in that video, sounds very confident in his ability, seems to have set high goals for himself and knows what it it takes given his heritage. Will be exciting watch this kid develop I reckon!

We've lacked that player that could explode from the center bounce to goal since Gaz left. This could be the guy, hope he can do the number 5 what it deserves.

I hadn't actually considered that - Good point.
He mentions Motlop and Stokes who will add support in that regard, and I think he stated his parents are going to move to stay close as well?
Didn't seem to faze him.

Only time will tell I guess , but the poor ball use thing doesn't stack up when he was one of the best at the Combine. I suspect its more about him kicking at top pace and being a little out of practice. If we do say Smedts , I can only hope thats a reason to be hopeful rather than sceptical. Billie has the tools to play , and I agree he is a little scrappy by foot. I think he should be closer to the contest where the quick kick is more forgive able .

I am very encouraged by his top score in the kicking test. I had not seen that before. I'm not knocking the kid at all don't get me wrong. It's just his type of pick at 10 is more risky IMO than some others.

That said, I have a pic of wells as my avatar for a reason as my sig says give that man a statue. I'm backing him to be right

Go Catters

I am very encouraged by his top score in the kicking test. I had not seen that before. I'm not knocking the kid at all don't get me wrong. It's just his type of pick at 10 is more risky IMO than some others.

That said, I have a pic of wells as my avatar for a reason as my sig says give that man a statue. I'm backing him to be right

Go Catters

I agree , statistically his type is not as successful as inside mids in the R1. But I winged thru the year we lacked enough low picks , not enough brilliance. So It would be hypocritical for more to whinge about this pick. Like I said his I think his score at DC exceed Billies , he seems fater than him , kicks better than him.... but we can only wait and see how that translates.
I'm thinking once he and Hartman start to develop we will have two influential good sized mids that will have that burst of instictive football nous that we love to watch. Its what I pay the money for. Coaches alway say centre the ball , play percentages...fair enough , I appreciate teh winning tactic but as a spectator I love to watch something that I could never do ,to watch the dare to balls it up or do something magical. Its why I forgive SJ his little blowups. Magic.. GASr did it all the time and as far as.."centre the ball" .. forget that. You can not kick goal of the year passing to the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree , statistically his type is not as successful as inside mids in the R1. But I winged thru the year we lacked enough low picks , not enough brilliance. So It would be hypocritical for more to whinge about this pick. Like I said his I think his score at DC exceed Billies , he seems fater than him , kicks better than him.... but we can only wait and see how that translates.
I'm thinking once he and Hartman start to develop we will have two influential good sized mids that will have that burst of instictive football nous that we love to watch. Its what I pay the money for. Coaches alway say centre the ball , play percentages...fair enough , I appreciate teh winning tactic but as a spectator I love to watch something that I could never do ,to watch the dare to balls it up or do something magical. Its why I forgive SJ his little blowups. Magic.. GASr did it all the time and as far as.."centre the ball" .. forget that. You can not kick goal of the year passing to the goal square.
We also picked up Blease if he develops in our system he could also be great watching,quick and kicks both feet a real bonus if he gets going.

I'll show you my 30 years and raise your constant negativity. Your not El Dubya in disguise are you?
To be fair El dubya had the thread of the year though imo. That story had me hooked.

I guess you cant always judge or not draft a player on injury's see Selwood was said before the draft hes knees were shot to sh!t.
And Collingwood not trading for SJ due to shot ankles.
Lets hope he can over come those injuries please don't be like that poor collingwood feller s'berg with hes bad feet and knee injury.

Yeah no problems. As I say 3 mins of highlights is no way to judge a player. Just with the other guys highlights when they disposed of the ball they pinpointed a team mate nearly every time.
his highlights came from one game. the others come from multiple games and his kicking didnt look tgat bad anyway. ball drop and power in the kick seemed fine. two didnt hit there mark. so what? every game Ablett plays more than two kicks dont hit there mark and Ablett is one of the best disposers in the comp.

Quick question. In the modern era have we chosen a teenage KP player that has worked out for us? I can't think of one. Perhaps Lonergan though technically he was redrafted as a mature rookie.

(Note: We didn't choose Scarlett or Hawkins, they were gifted)

And why is replacing Lonergan seen as more important than replacing Christenson/Kelly/Bartel/Stokes/S.J? These guys are gone or going in the next season or two as well.

From a team perspective, if you take Christensen out, you put Hartman in. You take Kelly out, you put Bews or Lang in. There are mids that need games to bring in and when you lose 1 mid, there are still 10 other mids picked each week, the loss is diluted somewhat. Conversely, when you remove Lonergan your removing 1 of the 2 big key defenders - or three if you include Rivers, not 1 out of 10 so it is felt much more.. AND we don't have a ready replacement for Lonergan.

If Kelly misses, a mid comes in and the mids rotate. Lonergan misses and suddenly there is no one in the team to play full back on Cloke/Roughead/Walker/Shutlz/Petrie/Reiwoldt etc. This has a direct impact on the game. You either move Harry around (and lose his drive) or you play an undersized zero gamer in Kolo.

When you have a strong defense, you can afford to develop, and experiment up the field because the defense saves you. You all of a sudden remove the FB and suddenly goals are scored at more inside 50s against. I feel that because our defense has been our cornerstone for so long, we have forgotten how valuable it is.

We are in a transition at the moment, and we have young players on the list groomed for mid and attack. But there is a clear void in young key defenders on our list bar one.

And imo we need a big fullback stopper and an attacking CHB that can hold his own in the 1-1s and a third tall. Right now, we have just that third tall developing, so 1 out of 3. (whereas in the mid we have Lang, Jansen, Caddy, Duncan, Gurthrie, Motlop, Horlin-Smith and now Cockatoo, Gregson Gore).

Maybe we can develop Blicavs into FB but that is a complete unknown. We have no choice now but to trade one in and give up draft picks (which is also an unknown) and will be harder now to attract players if we slip down the ladder.

Our premiership team was built on a fantastic defense, with fantastic key defenders. We have completely (apart from Kolo) ignored this area in this re-build.

Mids are easier to get than quality key defenders, and we had a once in a long time opportunity to get one and we passed.

his highlights came from one game. the others come from multiple games and his kicking didnt look tgat bad anyway. ball drop and power in the kick seemed fine. two didnt hit there mark. so what? every game Ablett plays more than two kicks dont hit there mark and Ablett is one of the best disposers in the comp.
And why would they put crappy disposals in a highlight reel? That's the stuff you edit out! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back