List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should all crack open a Guiness to celebrate Cockatoo's arrival at Geelong.

Funny you say that, it is a done thing when watching cats games with one my most dedicated cats mates. One each qtr and one at the breaks.

ahh the memories.... or lack thereof.

Does anyone know who he was staying with until his family moved?

Hmm... why does that link go to a 2008 article about St Patrick's Day, Sttew? I don't get it?? Is St Patrick making an appearance soon??

oops- sorry. I see it's already been noted above. Thought I was on the last page of the thread. My apologies!
Apologies accepted and I apologize for unwittingly posting a bogus link...

Apologies accepted and I apologize for unwittingly posting a bogus link...
Not a problem! No apology necessary :) Must've been a little leprechaun that switched links!
I think this is the link you wanted:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...arvester-medium-forwards-20141002-10pa6w.html

With this summary from Emma Quayle:

Nakia Cockatoo (NT Thunder)

Born 23.10.1996, 185cm, 86kg

AFL biography: Powerfully built medium forward/midfielder with elite step through traffic. His initial speed out of the contest creates separation on his opponents. Uses the ball with precision on either side of the body and can impact the scoreboard when he pushes forward. Suffered stress fracture in foot causing him to miss the NAB AFL under-18 championships after impressing in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but who are the 4 guys who can't?

Menzel, Vardy, Simpson, Delaney - all recoverying from injuries/surgery. Surely they are most likely to be the 4 leading the way to not be available.

Straight above the line about 40 guys who could play straight away is, which i would assume means all our draftees are part of the 40 who could play: “The four draftees that we’ve brought in have all played some form of senior footy and we’re optimistic that they could have an impact straight away,” Geelong coach Chris Scott said.

Menzel, Vardy, Simpson, Delaney - all recoverying from injuries/surgery. Surely they are most likely to be the 4 leading the way to not be available.

Straight above the line about 40 guys who could play straight away is, which i would assume means all our draftees are part of the 40 who could play: “The four draftees that we’ve brought in have all played some form of senior footy and we’re optimistic that they could have an impact straight away,” Geelong coach Chris Scott said.

Vardy's injury was almost 12 months ago now. I'd be hoping he plays some pre-season games.

Vardy's injury was almost 12 months ago now. I'd be hoping he plays some pre-season games.

I thought someone on here mentioned within the past couple of weeks (since pre-season training started) that Vardy had suffered a minor setback (something along those lines) - nothing seems to have been announced by the club though, so not sure what the go is with that.

But there was an article on Vardy on Nov 30 and at this stage he isn't looking at playing pre-season and I think based on his own assessment he isn't on track for round 1:
“Because I had the seven weeks I am a bit behind where I would be if I had have just done the rehab through, because it was just seven weeks mental holiday time,” he said....
...Vardy is aiming to be back in the main training group by the end of January, with a return to playing at some time in April.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ons-at-afl-level/story-fni5f6yf-1227140015672

But there was an article on Vardy on Nov 30 and at this stage he isn't looking at playing pre-season and I think based on his own assessment he isn't on track for round 1:
Because I had the seven weeks I am a bit behind where I would be if I had have just done the rehab through, because it was just seven weeks mental holiday time,” he said....
...Vardy is aiming to be back in the main training group by the end of January, with a return to playing at some time in April.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ons-at-afl-level/story-fni5f6yf-1227140015672

I wonder if the club could explain to us exactly why he isn't where he should be?

I wonder if the club could explain to us exactly why he isn't where he should be?

I'd assume the more important part of his rehab came over the time when all the players were away, and they wanted him back for that, so his 6-8 weeks leave came early.

I thought someone on here mentioned within the past couple of weeks (since pre-season training started) that Vardy had suffered a minor setback (something along those lines) - nothing seems to have been announced by the club though, so not sure what the go is with that.

“Because I had the seven weeks I am a bit behind where I would be if I had have just done the rehab through, because it was just seven weeks mental holiday time,” he said....

That was Lester Burnham 's preseason report from the other day, cats_09:
"Vardy had had a minor setback but was going well."
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ews-and-updates.1081944/page-20#post-36387375

It's sounding like a 7 week holiday is a 'minor setback', now, isn't it? ;) I wouldn't mind a setback like that!

Seriously, though- whatever it is, I hope he's on track to be 100% with that knee and that the time that he's had off from footy has allowed his hip to recover fully from his previous injury.
Good luck to the young bloke- like Menzel, he deserves to get a good run at it in 2015.

He just spoke on the coverage on Foxtel! Seemed genuinely shocked Geelong had picked him up! Said the cats hadn't spoken to him much at all over the preseason/combine.

It seems he thought he was going to North and even seemed a little disappointed he wasn't!
Well, I for one, was disappointed he didn't get to North.

Cant help but think we missed out on either a Durdin, Lever or a Goddard. Good luck to this kid but one hopes that Lonergan keeps going at least another two-three years.
And I can't help but think we missed out on a Cockatoo; not that we had the choice.

Be interesting to see what transpires with their careers. We drafted 'the best available'/what we need from a list management perspective (our KPPs are on the older side) but damn.

I think you're all being too literal. He most likely didn't mean exactly 40, he meant that almost everyone is in the mix for round one if fit. Classic off season vagueness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back