List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Good question..we've been tracking him since he burst onto the scene up here as a 16yr old with his debut for Thunder(NEAFL) in 2013. His the complete package..silky skills, can run all day and goes in hard and never goes to ground. He often has reminded me of Joel Corey but with a lower stronger kick.

A lot of the development coaches up here that have had time down south bemoan the fact that players up here generally don't have the discipline which in turn results in players not having a good tank. Nakia stands out as he has a serious tank..despite being disrupted by injuries! His injuries this year are a short term blessing as no doubt we wouldn't have got him otherwise ala Selwood.

I think everyones surprise of us taking him has more to do with the media down south. I often wonder if this effects recruiters attitudes. For example i have no idea why Wasley-black hasn't been drafted!! Out of sight out of mind.
Claude Balls and WeAreGeelong I remember reading this post from AliceCat a while back which might go some way to answering your question about his foot skills. It's good to hear from someone that has seen him play who seems to rate his footskills quite highly. :)

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
I overheard Derek Hine from collingwood speaking at a social function and he said he rated Cockatoo as the best player in the draft. He said he couldn't pick him at selection 5 due to the injury history and the club went for the more conservative pick in De Goey.

Yup, have said before he would have gone top 5 if he played a full year.

Yup, have said before he would have gone top 5 if he played a full year.

Im pleased to hear this stuff from rated sources external to the club.

I was after an impact player in the draft. Was surprised at the NC5 pick. I did however post that if his stock had risen, as it did, from just that one game he played post injury, how high could his ceiling be. Gald to hear that it could be very very high indeed.

Go Catters

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Well that settles it then eh.... Cockatoo to debut early in the season and play every game thereafter on the way to winning the NAB rising star. Can't see how it could be otherwise:

1. Elite skills
2. Huge tank
3. Built like the proverbial
4. Electrifying pace
5. Goal kicker

It just remains to be seen whether he can actually lay his digital extremities on the airborne conveyance.

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Im pleased to hear this stuff from rated sources external to the club.

I was after an impact player in the draft. Was surprised at the NC5 pick. I did however post that if his stock had risen, as it did, from just that one game he played post injury, how high could his ceiling be. Gald to hear that it could be very very high indeed.

Go Catters

Yeah I asked my source at the club because while I wanted midfielders, I was surprised that we didn't take a KPD as well.

Turns out he was a no brainier, similar to Carlton and Menzel a couple years back.

Well that settles it then eh.... Cockatoo to debut early in the season and play every game thereafter on the way to winning the NAB rising star. Can't see how it could be otherwise:

1. Elite skills
2. Huge tank
4. Electrifying pace
5. Goal kicker

It just remains to be seen whether he can actually lay his digital extremities on the airborne conveyance.

I d say if he gets 10 games that will an outstanding return.

GO Catters

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers

1. Elite skills
2. Huge tank
4. Electrifying pace
5. Goal kicker

Love the optimism!

But Cockatoo & Jansen to tie for the Rising Star on the way to leading us to another Grand Final win! :D

Jon Douglas

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I overheard Derek Hine from collingwood speaking at a social function and he said he rated Cockatoo as the best player in the draft. He said he couldn't pick him at selection 5 due to the injury history and the club went for the more conservative pick in De Goey.

Thanks for that - he does sound good doesn't he ? But again we are relying on an injured player coming good. Yes we are due but I think GFC should consider drafting less injured players or those that are suspect. Sure sometimes the issue arises after the drafting - but we just have too many injured players over the past few years. And that does hurt the team and their performance.

wcadams88

Club Legend
Feb 27, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Thanks for that - he does sound good doesn't he ? But again we are relying on an injured player coming good. Yes we are due but I think GFC should consider drafting less injured players or those that are suspect. Sure sometimes the issue arises after the drafting - but we just have too many injured players over the past few years. And that does hurt the team and their performance.

like Selwood ?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong

1. Elite skills
2. Huge tank
4. Electrifying pace
5. Goal kicker

He's got it all, but I really hope he's resilient to injury, my only concern when considering a first year draftee with his talent for early senior selection.
I sort of want him protected, but I guess if they reckon he can then he plays.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
He's got it all, but I really hope he's resilient to injury, my only concern when considering a first year draftee with his talent for early senior selection.
I sort of want him protected, but I guess if they reckon he can then he plays.

His draft camp and MCG performances strongly suggest the surgery has fixed the ankle.
His initial problem will be making up the massive amount of match-fitness he's missed out on due to the injury and recuperation.
He will be something very special indeed if he manages to do this well enough to play any significant number of AFL games in Year 1.
In normal circumstances you would expect him to be on his knees by the end of his first full VFL season, even without any AFL games.

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
So the longer we don't hear that he's in a moonboot the better, which is stating the bleeding obvious in one sense but I refer to the fact that he had periods in the past where he would rest it and then resume without the pain setting in for some time. Interesting that they used a graft as well as the pins.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
So the longer we don't hear that he's in a moonboot the better, which is stating the bleeding obvious in one sense but I refer to the fact that he had periods in the past where he would rest it and then resume without the pain setting in for some time. Interesting that they used a graft as well as the pins.

That was before they decided to abandon rest as a treatment, and went with the surgery.
I have seen no suggestion that the surgery was anything but successful and that he has fully overcome the original problem.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Interesting that they used a graft as well as the pins.
As I understand grafts are used if they healing process has stopped (which seemed to have happened with Nakia), is really slow, or the gap between the bones is too large. It's not that uncommon.
Also given that he is "active" I think they make a real effort to sort it out, as the bone/joint/whatever needs to keep its integrity down the line under much greater stress than normal.

Jon Douglas

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Selwood mark 2.
Kid is special.
Will be a Champion for the Cats.
Strap yourselves in lads, the ride is gunna be AWESOME!

Like your optimism. I just want to see him put the boots on and play VFL and show us he is uninjured for a decent time - then I can become confident about him lining up for us in the seniors sometime in the near future.

I am just over all these injuries and I sincerely hope he is not another that is injury prone.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I understand that JD, but I would also be happy for him to follow the Selwood path if he's up to it of coming into the NAB team showing a bit, and more or less start in the 1's from the start.

Back