List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

But think about it, when was the last time we had a young player break in to the team who you thought was a really exceptional mark, or kick? Whose number one attribute was out of the box football skills? It's been a while. The only one I can closely think of was Duncan with his kicking, which was very very good from the start.
I got that feeling at Carrara in a NAB game about Motlop a few years back now, every one there went to see O'Meara but all came out singing the praises of young Motlop.Then Hawk smashed him:(

I certainly agree with that as a philosophy in normal times but there has been nothing normal about this team over the last decade we have had champions in most positions with endurance and ability to preform week in week out and not give anyone a look in so for a new young player to enhance his chances of getting a game he needed to be come or be made more flexible.On saying that our circumstances are now changing and I posted some where just recently that I thought it was time to again settle a few players in one spot,firstly to see if they could hold it down and secondly it helps in developing game plans and strategies.
There's been nothing normal about the team over the past couple of years, either, YPO. I would suggest that the flexibility of players has been forced due to the large number of injuries to key players over that time. For example- Hawkins and his back in 2013, no rucks that could play every week in 2013-2014 (*don't get into a West discussion here, guys!), midfielders (Caddy, Christensen, SJ (injuries plus suspensions)), small forwards (Burbury, McCarthy (not able to get on the park to claim a position in the forward line), etc. etc.

One of the strengths of the team over the years of sustained success, IMO, has been the fact that the player group has not changed a real lot from game to game or year to year. We can see how the backline work as one unit- because about 5 of them have played together in their positions for several seasons, losing only one (maybe) two players at a time. Once the other areas on the field became a mix of cobbled together groups of players, including less experienced players, this put more of a load on the older, more experienced players and the cracks began to appear.

I was never a fan of Taylor as a swingman against teams stronger than Melb/St Kilda and hope that the club stops exploring that as an option in our forward line (we have enough talls now, for Taylor to stay in defence for the rest of his career).

"is trying to soak up as much as he can from his teammates"

That one comes from a template they have for these articles.

The only thing that really comes from this article is the buzz around him feels a bit different to other new draftees. They seem to genuinely think he can play early and he is handling that expectation as good as can be expected.

In a way I hope a Cockatoo getting early games motivates the others like Gore, Lang etc to push even harder. Seeing that performing at a certain level no matter what will get you noticed, will get you in the main team, rather than having to do a compulsory "apprenticeship" in the VFL for 2-3 seasons.

"is trying to soak up as much as he can from his teammates"

That one comes from a template they have for these articles.

The only thing that really comes from this article is the buzz around him feels a bit different to other new draftees. They seem to genuinely think he can play early and he is handling that expectation as good as can be expected.

In a way I hope a Cockatoo getting early games motivates the others like Gore, Lang etc to push even harder. Seeing that performing at a certain level no matter what will get you noticed, will get you in the main team, rather than having to do a compulsory "apprenticeship" in the VFL for 2-3 seasons.

Agreed its a pre season puff piece. However, i'll take that over "hopes to be back training by Rd1" after an injury. :D

GO Catters

Mmmm not sure what that shows. We will know on Smedts by the end of this year, yes possibly a dud but was rated pretty highly by many in that draft, Hamling was pick 32 after we gave up p26 which gave us Hamling and Kersten
Thurlow has had a pretty horror run with injuries but has looked very classy and composed for a kid when he's been out there, could be a huge win for us and Lang debuted in his first year and looks to have the traits.
Whoever wrote that needs to get back to us in 12-24 months.

I wrote that and in context it didn't have as much to do with Wells per se, as it did all the components of a club to make things work;
Coach....Board....Football Department....Team-mates....Culture etc etc.

The dynamics within a club are constantly changing and that 'golden' feel doesn't last forever.....it just can't....it could get better and can also go backwards.
Wells as good as he is can't do it all himself and if not afforded the right tools, things become tough.
That may well never occur at Geelong but I know what it's like having seen it at Carlton for several years, prior to Rogers taking hold.

Anyway, all the best to young Nakia. The noise is good about him and look forward to seeing him along with all clubs new recruits, soon enough.

Hahaha. Or "Hawkins has put contract talks on hold until the end of the year".

That is that kind of s**t you don't even joke about…:(

GO Catters

I reckon you guys have scored the recruit of the year, he has the same story as Nat Fyfe and Jackson Trengove.
A Port talent scout watched an U18 match over in WA and saw a young Nat Fyfe completely tear the game apart (like he does now) but because that was the only time he had done it all year and his team wasn't in the finals he slipped to pick 20.

Jackson also tore Jack Watts apart at U18 level one day and Jackson was going to go top 10 but then tore his Achilles at the end of the year and slipped to 22 and now is VC of Port. So I see a same kind of story with Cockatoo where injury kept him out all year and then comes back at the end and tears it apart.

I reckon you guys have scored the recruit of the year, he has the same story as Nat Fyfe and Jackson Trengove.
A Port talent scout watched an U18 match over in WA and saw a young Nat Fyfe completely tear the game apart (like he does now) but because that was the only time he had done it all year and his team wasn't in the finals he slipped to pick 20.

Jackson also tore Jack Watts apart at U18 level one day and Jackson was going to go top 10 but then tore his Achilles at the end of the year and slipped to 22 and now is VC of Port. So I see a same kind of story with Cockatoo where injury kept him out all year and then comes back at the end and tears it apart.

We are certainly due some good luck with our #1 picks in terms of injury and impact.

Not saying we have not done well, as Wells and CO are very good at getting the best out of what they have to work with, but I'll be excited to see what he can do.

I will hold the Fyfe comparisons back for a while however ( yes I get the draft analogy you are drawing )

Go Catters

So excited for Nakia hurry up NAB Challenge!

You are such a tart. You have dumped JJ like a hot rock.

What has he ever done to you?:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our pseudo first rounder in Kersten would give him a decent challenge, CE. (Our first round pick swapped for 2 later picks, which became Kersten and Hamling)
True. Off a very long build up.

Just so few footy players can come into their first year at AFL standard and then proceed to become best 22 by finals.

But given I had such reasonable to high hopes for Brown, Menzel, Kersten, Smedts and Thurlow (as our first picks in the ND) - and we so far have got really bugger all out of them thus far (Brown is already gone) - I really would like to see a rags to riches story. Cockatoo come into the senior side at some stage, keeps his place (even as a sub would do), and add something to our line up in 2015.

So 5 picks that are yet to produce the footy players we need - or if they do come good not in a timely fashion.

Brown's career was certainly hurt by major injury. One down.

Menzel the same - and I would guess he is less than 50/50 to become a regular member of the best 22. Nearly two down.

Smedts - well he has had some injuries which would not have helped his development - but he was given quite a few senior games - but never really did a lot in those games overall. I think if Billy does not show good signs this year he maybe in trouble keeping a spot on our list. And there is a lot of competition coming thru - so he is on dangerous ground IMO. Maybe 3 top ND picks have not worked out.

Kersten - was a second round pick but our first pick in that ND I believe. maybe Hamling was picked earlier ??? Hamling is gone - and Kersten has had quite a few injuries and this has definitely slowed his development by a year. He is a year behind where we want him to be. Maybe he could have had 20-30 senior games by now and this season would show the benefits of that extra experience ?

I think many are still of the thought Kersten will make it. So maybe one of our first picks will work out - but really we do not have enough info to know yet.

As for Thurlow - he has had two significant injuries and he is probably close to a season behind where he could have been if not for injuries. Again he has not played enough senior games to confirm he will definitely make it.

I could mention another first pick in Varcoe as I reckon he had about 2 seasons of with injury and started injured and took longer to develop because of this.

It is sad reading our first picks over this great on field team success period. if only a few had worked out and without injury hurting their development - my guess is that we would be a better team in 2015 - with more chance of reversing the ugly trend over the past 2 seasons. We just need a change with our first round selections.

So please Mr. Cockatoo - be the exception - do a Selwood - because we really could do with such a pick after our pretty hard run with our first picks of recent years.

Last edited:
Most hyped Geelong first rounder since Billie Smedts.

*gulp*

I never understood the hype around Smedts, but I remember before his debut in 2012 he was going to play all 22 games and win the rising star in a canter.

I haven't sen nearly as much hype around Cockatoo.

I never understood the hype around Smedts, but I remember before his debut in 2012 he was going to play all 22 games and win the rising star in a canter.

I haven't sen nearly as much hype around Cockatoo.
Not as much but no one in between has either.

Just so few footy players can come into their first year at AFL standard and then proceed to become best 22 by finals.

But given I had such reasonable to high hopes for Brown, Menzel, Kersten, Smedts and Thurlow (as our first picks in the ND) - and we so far have got really bugger all out of them thus far (Brown is already gone) - I really would like to see a rags to riches story. Cockatoo come into the senior side at some stage, keeps his place (even as a sub would do), and add something to our line up in 2015.

So 5 picks that are yet to produce the footy players we need - or if they do come good not in a timely fashion.

Brown's career was certainly hurt by major injury. One down.

Menzel the same - and I would guess he is less than 50/50 to become a regular member of the best 22. Nearly two down.

Smedts - well he has had some injuries which would not have helped his development - but he was given quite a few senior games - but never really did a lot in those games overall. I think if Billy does not show good signs this year he maybe in trouble keeping a spot on our list. And there is a lot of competition coming thru - so he is on dangerous ground IMO. Maybe 3 top ND picks have not worked out.

Kersten - was a second round pick but our first pick in that ND I believe. maybe Hamling was picked earlier ??? Hamling is gone - and Kersten has had quite a few injuries and this has definitely slowed his development by a year. He is a year behind where we want him to be. Maybe he could have had 20-30 senior games by now and this season would show the benefits of that extra experience ?

I think many are still of the thought Kersten will make it. So maybe one of our first picks will work out - but really we do not have enough info to know yet.

As for Thurlow - he has had two significant injuries and he is probably close to a season behind where he could have been if not for injuries. Again he has not played enough senior games to confirm he will definitely make it.

I could mention another first pick in Varcoe as I reckon he had about 2 seasons of with injury and started injured and took longer to develop because of this.

It is sad reading our first picks over this great on field team success period. if only a few had worked out and without injury hurting their development - my guess is that we would be a better team in 2015 - with more chance of reversing the ugly trend over the past 2 seasons. We just need a change with our first round selections.

So please Mr. Cockatoo - be the exception - do a Selwood - because we really could do with such a pick after our pretty hard run with our first picks of recent years.

So true ..bad luck , or just luck squaring the ledger. You don't win 3 Flags without some luck running your way. Menzel is really a hurtful one as he was one who quickly become best 22. So yes , we are due with Selwood...but remember when we say Selwood, he was P7 , this kid is the earliest since then so he has that going for him.

And while Smedts has not been the raging success Id have hoped for , Guthrie has worked out. While Brown was a flop , the long shot Motlop has worked. In the end if we can get 2+ kid from each draft we are doing reasonably well whether R1 or R4

It really does not matter what pick they are - pick 1 to pick 60 - as long as you get two players on average out of each draft that will improve the side you are doing well.

BUT it would be nice if a first round pick we had worked out. The club used their first pick thinking they were the best available talent.

And because of injuries and the side doing so well for so long maybe a few players that might have played earlier - did not. That is the cost of success. We could not transition fast enough to remain a real threat for a premiership win.

Just want a change in what happens to our first selected.

According to Wells it takes most draftees 3 seasons to get fit enough to play a full 1sts season.
Last season Cockatoo played 1 game.
The year before, he missed numerous games while they were trying to cure his injury with rest.
During his recuperation last season, I understand that he was training largely on his own.
If he gets fit enough to have any significant influence in the 1sts this season, we'll know that we really do have one out of the box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back