Welcome to Hawthorn: Luke Surman - rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

He is young and green and carrying a fair bit of lead in the saddle bags
Lets see if his speed improves after a preseason or 2

He reminds me of a character from a story I read when I was a kid.

1420656012CMK_1.jpg

$_1.JPG

Surprised his kicking has been knocked here...looks solid enough to me and given he's only just really taken the game seriously recently that will improve.

Mildly aroused on this pick. Nothing better than following types like this as they develop.

Geez that takes me back, I had a whole cupboard full of those commando comics.

I learnt German from them:

Gott in Himmel
Raus
Schnell

and most importantly Achtung!

As well as Fritz, Kraut and Jerry.

You could have got all that from one episode of 'Hogan's Heroes'.

You can tell he played a lot of basketball, boxes out all his opponents at every marking contest. Most times opponents had plenty of time to contest the ball but he protected the ball drop so well they didn't have a chance. For a bloke that's played predominantly basketball he certainly has some key areas of football covered.

Last edited:

Gott in Himmel
Raus
Schnell

You must have read the "Biggles" books!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must have read the "Biggles" books!
I did indeed but Biggles fought a more gentlemanly war than was found in Commando comics.

I enjoyed the latter more!

I didn't just want to see Fritz get a bloody nose I wanted to see his nose being blown clean off from his face, especially if he was a sneering, monacle wearing SS officer straight out of central casting.

'For you Tommy ze war is over'

Just noticed Hawthorn website has Luke at 195cm and 85kg, AFL Draft tracker has him 197cm and 98kg which seems about right.

Just noticed Hawthorn website has Luke at 195cm and 85kg, AFL Draft tracker has him 197cm and 98kg which seems about right.

I have seen him a few times in the flesh and there is no way he is under 95kg.

85kg is a two kg heavier than Gunners and TOB and they are both shorter and built like stick insects in comparison. Surman is an exceptionally strong player for his age.

Just wondering if anyone knows how this young bloke is going with his injury?

Was hoping to see him in the Box Hill practice matches today.......or soonish ?

stress fractures in his back late last year so hasn't trained much.....don't expect to see much of him in early 2016. very much a project player

stress fractures in his back late last year so hasn't trained much.....don't expect to see much of him in early 2016. very much a project player
Ok, thanks - was going to like your post for replying, but liking it would seem like I liked the news in your post, which I don't like at all :$

When you google it can be growth related,add the change in loads due to a change in sports,not too concerned yet.
I am a bit excited by this kid though

Yes.

He is up to doing a bit of light lap running.

No.

He is nowhere near playing in the BH practice games. We may see him get on the ground to play possibly late May-June.

Gott in Himmel
Raus
Schnell

Just found a stash of mine!
Kamerad! Feuer! Mein fuhrer, Schweinhund! Jawohl mein herr. Is it any wonder i preferred learning german in high school to french??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back