Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the bet that within a week or two he goes from, "I want to be the next Nat Fyfe and play in the midfield" to "I'll play wherever the Hawks coaches think I'm best suited and I'll play my role"?

I like confidence in the lad but we might need to knock the thorp out of him....

What? He's not Mitch Thorp, he's Ryan Burton.

Maybe if he said I'm already better than Nat Fyfe you would have a point.

Why do u think he will have the late growth spurt? 4cm at his age seems like a lot.Thanks for the other info! I wish I could grow 4cm...
I can grow 4cm anytime I feel like it. :D

Burton seems like a risk but after 3 flags in a row the club is definitely in a position to take a few.

What? He's not Mitch Thorp, he's Ryan Burton.

Maybe if he said I'm already better than Nat Fyfe you would have a point.
I definitely have a point. Just maybe not one you agree with.... Might be just me but whenever I hear "confident young man" multiple times I equate that to being a bit full of himself. Hodgey will fix that very early on.

I was disappointed we didnt get Cole as big defender to replace Lake sounded like a winner and I don't think we really need forwards right now.
That said, Burton sounds like a gun and if he was rated 5 to 10 without the injury then I back the club in on picking him. He tested well at the combine and I am sure the club checked his leg out thoroughly. We may see this as a massive steal in years to come, here's hoping.

We need midfielders most at the moment so hopefully Lovell will be a good player. Hardwick sounds like a great lead up forward who has kicked big bags through the year, again don't think we need forwards right now but it seems he has talent. Burton wants to play midfield, it will be interesting what club thinks of that and if they have that in mind for him down the track.

Could we have plans for Breust to play midfield and Hardwick to take his spot in the fwd line

I definitely have a point. Just maybe not one you agree with.... Might be just me but whenever I hear "confident young man" multiple times I equate that to being a bit full of himself. Hodgey will fix that very early on.

So because you've "heard" he's confident you equate him to having Mitch Thorp attitude? If only those people told you he was a "determined young man"....

The comments he made about wanting to push into the midfield ala Nat Fyfe are perfectly reasonable- it relates to transition.

What's the bet that within a week or two he goes from, "I want to be the next Nat Fyfe and play in the midfield" to "I'll play wherever the Hawks coaches think I'm best suited and I'll play my role"?

I like confidence in the lad but we might need to knock the thorp out of him....

Have you watched the interview with him on the Hawks website? Has already said he is happy to play wherever the coaches want him to. I think your assessment is a bit harsh.

Thorp was an arrogant tool.

Confidence is a good trait in a footballer. Hodge and Mitchell are confident players.
This guy wants to be the best. He wants to be the man. The one who will carry his team. I like that a lot.

The one thing that might be a challenge for Burton early on is patience. I reckon in his mind he will be thinking Easter Monday round 1. He will have to bide his time and earn his stripes at Hawthorn (as well as getting his body right and regaining confidence with his jumping, landing, twisting and turning).

In time I think he'll be a great player for us. I'm really excited about this prospect.

James Sicily said the exact same thing Burton did about 'Fyfe'. These young bigger guys are aiming very high, so that when they don't quite get there, they are already stars!;)

I reckon his words would most likely have reflected the talks that he and the club had had during the year.

I daresay the 'midfield, Fyfe' thing may have been mooted by both parties

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder who Nat Fyfe arrogantly suggested he wanted to play like

What a jerk right?

I cant believe Fyfe want to be a s**t coach!

Hi again Nat. What team did you follow as a kid and who was your favourite player ?

Nat Fyfe: As a kid I followed Richmond and my favourite player was Matthew Richardson. And James Hird was probably my "idol" player.

Sounds a bit like Weitering gobbing off about the lifestyle choices of Swan and Dustin Martin

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll remember that when they meet on-field. Dusty might give the choirboy a little demonstration of street justice.

Have full confidence in our medical team (surely they have learnt from the past).

Yeah, they managed to get Musto, Bails and now Woody through 3 knee recos, Swiss two, Suckling, Willo & Shoe, all back on the park - 4 of those guys are now premiership players. Tim Boyle - a broken leg that should have ended his career there and then, went on to playing bloody good footy until Franky came down on him and crushed him with 'car accident' type injuries - still got back and played again. I can actually go on and on about the superb injury post operative management that the fitness and conditioning team provides.

But I don't have to, you only have to look at the blokes that are running out each and every week, blokes playing stellar footy at the very end of their careers, blokes with management issues, blokes throwing out a lifetime of bad habits and relearning traits to make themselves better and more impervious - so if that's what you mean - yes, the past efforts of the F & C team have played no small part in our success, and everyone could learn a thing or two from their past efforts.

Welcome to Hawthorn Ryan - if you embrace Hawthorn, we will embrace you. As a side note you will have the very best team in the business supporting you and allowing you every opportunity to be the very best you can be.

Thorp was an arrogant tool.

Confidence is a good trait in a footballer. Hodge and Mitchell are confident players.
This guy wants to be the best. He wants to be the man. The one who will carry his team. I like that a lot.

The one thing that might be a challenge for Burton early on is patience. I reckon in his mind he will be thinking Easter Monday round 1. He will have to bide his time and earn his stripes at Hawthorn (as well as getting his body right and regaining confidence with his jumping, landing, twisting and turning).

In time I think he'll be a great player for us. I'm really excited about this prospect.
I think arrogance was the least of Thorp's issues. There have been two players that hawthorn have cut prior to the season begining. One was Mitch Thorp

Yeah, they managed to get Musto, Bails and now Woody through 3 knee recos, Swiss two, Suckling, Willo & Shoe, all back on the park - 4 of those guys are now premiership players. Tim Boyle - a broken leg that should have ended his career there and then, went on to playing bloody good footy until Franky came down on him and crushed him with 'car accident' type injuries - still got back and played again. I can actually go on and on about the superb injury post operative management that the fitness and conditioning team provides.

But I don't have to, you only have to look at the blokes that are running out each and every week, blokes playing stellar footy at the very end of their careers, blokes with management issues, blokes throwing out a lifetime of bad habits and relearning traits to make themselves better and more impervious - so if that's what you mean - yes, the past efforts of the F & C team have played no small part in our success, and everyone could learn a thing or two from their past efforts.

Welcome to Hawthorn Ryan - if you embrace Hawthorn, we will embrace you. As a side note you will have the very best team in the business supporting you and allowing you every opportunity to be the very best you can be.
I also said that I have full confidence in them.
If you think that no mistakes were made in the past, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back