Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair the Div2 champs is barely TAC level.. Impressive I agree but also some consideration needs to be had about the level.
No it isn't. The div 2 teams regularly beat the TAC teams. If they played and trained together anywhere near as much as the TAC teams play together, they would win even more. If you look at Clayton Oliver, he was drafted purely on how well he played in the TAC cup anyway, so kind of a pointless argument.

Here's a few facts Div. 1 v Div. 2 v TAC Cup, and where Lovell fits in.
8 Players (including Lovell) from the first 24 in this years draft where from Div. 2 (1/3 not bad)
6 Players (including Lovell) from Div. 2 All Australian (just OK?)
In the TAC Cup the Div. 2 teams played a combined 18 games for 11 win and 1 draw, also consider a number of the better Div. 2 players played in Vic TAC Cup teams, not with their States (Hopper, Rioli etc.)
Lovell's team Tassie, 3 wins and a draw from their 4 games.
Lovell averages 35 possies per game (most in TAC Cup)
Oliver wins Morrish medal with 14 votes from 16 Games.
Lovell finishes 9th with a staggering 9 votes from 4 Games (9 of possible 12 = WOW!!)
Lovell wins Tassie B&F for TAC Cup
Lovell wins Tassie MVP for Div. 2 Champs
Lovell comes runner up TSL Club Senior B&F despite only playing 11 out of 18 games (has 40+ touches 4 times)
I think the Hawks have done alright here!!!!
I'm getting excited.

8 Players (including Lovell) from the first 24 in this years draft where from Div. 2 (1/3 not bad)
In the TAC Cup the Div. 2 teams played a combined 18 games for 11 win and 1 draw, also consider a number of the better Div. 2 players played in Vic TAC Cup teams, not with their States (Hopper, Rioli etc.)
Lovell finishes 9th with a staggering 9 votes from 4 Games (9 of possible 12 = WOW!!)
Lovell comes runner up TSL Club Senior B&F despite only playing 11 out of 18 games (has 40+ touches 4 times)
And he beat Gresham in his battle with him in the TAC cup. :D:thumbsu:

Great stats! Your posting as if I was negative? I'm probably justified in the call about divy2 being TAC level.. I like Lovell, he looks like he has all the tools to be a very good footballer but let's just temper expectations.

No it isn't. The div 2 teams regularly beat the TAC teams. If they played and trained together anywhere near as much as the TAC teams play together, they would win even more. If you look at Clayton Oliver, he was drafted purely on how well he played in the TAC cup anyway, so kind of a pointless argument.

Most of the country teams train once a week and the private school region kids filter in and out.. The standard is comparative to TAC, there's no denying that.

Even tho it isn't VFL standard it's also worth mentioning he's playing 11 games over 2 years at TSL level (Tasmanian state league) so against men and bigger bodies and was in th votes in a few of those games!

Even tho it isn't VFL standard it's also worth mentioning he's playing 11 games over 2 years at TSL level (Tasmanian state league) so against men and bigger bodies and was in th votes in a few of those games!
That is a really good sign. His biggest obstacle as a short player is the ability to win the ball among larger bodies.

was not a fan of this pick at all but I'm warming to it. I think when you are a ball magnet you can translate that to all levels, it is tough being that size no doubt but i think he seems to have the desire to make it, and looking back at the highly rated sub 175 cm players the last couple years in gregson, taylor, daniel they have all made an impact early on in there careers whether there development continues and they get better is a different story . But i think what lovell has accomplished was far greater then what those players have done in there under 18 year and he has the athletic profile to match and probably needs to lose 2-3 kg's which then could even improve his leg speed further

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been on the Lovell wagon since his name was first thrown about. Thrilled to get him given that Oliver bolted so much. Only other player I was really looking at come draft time was Mathieson, as he seems to have a bit more campaigner about him. But it will all come out in the wash who was the better pick.

Yeah but if you don't get 90+ in div 3 you're s**t.
Probably only got those possessions because he played in a good team. #thehawthornway

You cannot argue with those numbers. If you do you have rocks in your head.

And it was on this day, that a Richmond fan descended upon the Hawthorn Bigfooty board and spoke logically and positively about a Hawks recruit and came away with more likes than any Richmond fan before him. This day shall live on and become mythology to future generations while we descend into arguments over pet memberships.

And it was on this day, that a Richmond fan descended upon the Hawthorn Bigfooty board and spoke logically and positively about a Hawks recruit and came away with more likes than any Richmond fan before him. This day shall live on and become mythology to future generations while we descend into arguments over pet memberships.
Yes a Richmond fan, but bigger Kieran Lovell fan, followed his club back in Tassie. Hmmm...cough, this is'nt easy, so bare with me....
"GO HAWKS".
See, there I did it.

Last edited:
Yes a Richmond fan, but bigger Kieran Lovell fan, followed his club back in Tassie. Hmmm...cough, this is'nt easy, so bare with me....
"GO HAWKS".
See, there I did it.

To say thanks I will buy one of my dogs a Richmond pet membership ;)

Glad you're a fan though - it's comforting to get objective opinions that are so glowing. Really happy to have him on board.

Last edited:
You can teach kids to run patterns and with good application anyone in the middle can pick up a regular 20 possessions. The thing I like about this kid is that he was a pressure half forward when he went into the middle (I'm going to presume then he had little coaching on how to play in the middle) and averaged high 30 possessions. That's unique and you have to back that kind of talent. Hard to think of a recent draftee we've had that seems more likely to play 200 games. Only down side I can think of is that I am a terrible judge of talent.

A lot of talk about him being too small, well he is apparently taller than Puopolo and no one on this forum would swap him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back