Past #24: Sam Durdin - delisted after 21 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Durds (drafted by Carlton in '22 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly how on earth did he get to us. This guy will be a freak for us - unbelievable get
Because 3 other clubs went the safe option. To quote 1 recruiter he could be anything or ????. Another team think he's peaked for some reason. I hope he is a superstar and stick it up them

Because 3 other clubs went the safe option. To quote 1 recruiter he could be anything or ????. Another team think he's peaked for some reason. I hope he is a superstar and stick it up them
Peaked at 18 - thankfully he injured his hand because this made him slide - God he has some natural talent, if he's got the attitude he will be a star

Pretty stoked we got such a talented kid at 16. The idea is to eventually have top players at every position so a quality young KPP that we can develop to play at whichever end is required is perfect.

Welcome Sam, can't wait to watch you tear it up for the almighty NMFC.

From what I've read from various people who know a bit about junior footy it seems that the people who rate him really think he could end up being anything, even the best KP player from this draft. On the other hand, it seems a lot of people wanted their team to avoid drafting him for whatever reason and they don't think there's a natural position for him to play at AFL level. Let's all hope that the people who's opinion falls in the former category are 100% correct.

From what I've read from various people who know a bit about junior footy it seems that the people who rate him really think he could end up being anything, even the best KP player from this draft. On the other hand, it seems a lot of people wanted their team to avoid drafting him for whatever reason and they don't think there's a natural position for him to play at AFL level. Let's all hope that the people who's opinion falls in the former category are 100% correct.
Durdin will make one up if he wants!!!

The more I watch his highlights the more he reminds me of Harry Taylor. This kid will be a gun and can play back forward and pinch hit in the ruck. Is mobile enough to play as a forward flanker as our 3rd tall. Great pick up and feeling good after the initial shock of what seemed to be the drafting of 3 talls/defenders. Seems only Neilson is earmarked as a definite backman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets hope this is an Atley type slide.

I'd be hoping for bigger to be honest.

Atley has been ok since such an impressive start, and i know you love him, but really his draft year was strong and he doesn't stand out. Probably 5-8 now and was 17 iirc.

I'd love Durdin to be above that in a few years time and be a genuine 'steal'.

I'd be hoping for bigger to be honest.

Atley has been ok since such an impressive start, and i know you love him, but really his draft year was strong and he doesn't stand out. Probably 5-8 now and was 17 iirc.

I'd love Durdin to be above that in a few years time and be a genuine 'steal'.

Saying he has been 'ok' is doing him a disservice.

So Freo think Weller is a safer option? Given their lack of talls? Weller played in the QLD league mind you. Who knows how he'll adapt.

And utensil having played 1 game all year is a safer option?

Don't know about him peaking, but he seems to have leadership written all over him.

Bound for glory weren't so kind. i believe the words, "project player" "lacks footy smarts" were used.
Its the same thing as what happened with Atley. People were bemused as to why he slid so far, hung to perceptions that his kicking was poor and for those who care not to watch him they still go with that mantra even though he has shown otherwise.

Durdin is likely a victim of his own positional versatility and the thumb injury that hampered his season. He has plenty of room to develop as a multi-positional player but i guarantee you that despite becoming a very good player there will still be some BF experts who see him as a project type with no fixed role.

He is a good player, but I think he can be better than that. He still does not impact enough.
One of my favourite players but I sadly agree. Been sitting around the 18 per game mark for 3 seasons now. Too many 10-13 disposal games. Also needs to play more midfield.

I'm hoping 2015 is a 23/game 3/tackles 0.69/goals

I think we had to take him at 16 but I would have been happy with Laverde too.

I havent seen Sam play much but heard plenty about him. Obviously still pretty lean at this stage but I think we'll have a 200 game player here. Got the scope to be our best KPD and maybe even our best KPF.

Look forward to seeing how this boy develops.

In my most humble opinion which carries zero weight when discussing young and potential.

This reminds me of the J Selwoods, North took Hansen at 3 because Selwood carried a knee. Geelong at 7 found the risk/ reward beneficial.

Could it be that his weight of 87kg's made those with early picks wanting a more immediate impact?

Its the same thing as what happened with Atley. People were bemused as to why he slid so far, hung to perceptions that his kicking was poor and for those who care not to watch him they still go with that mantra even though he has shown otherwise.

Durdin is likely a victim of his own positional versatility and the thumb injury that hampered his season. He has plenty of room to develop as a multi-positional player but i guarantee you that despite becoming a very good player there will still be some BF experts who see him as a project type with no fixed role.
There a lot of fallacies that opposition supporters continue to trot out about North, ie cash-strapped, no star players, rely to heavily on older players, but the bolded is perhaps the biggest and probably the one that annoys me the most. Sure, Atley is not a complete player yet, and IMO we need Atley to become elite if we're to turn into a truly great side, but the talk about him being a poor kick is categorically wrong and very frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back