Player Watch Charlie Dixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Caro delivers once again. Really good read on big dix and how he joined the pear.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/charlie-dixon-finds-port-in-a-storm-20151125-gl85mj.html

For Charlie Dixon, the cultural and geographical distance from the Gold Coast to Port Adelaide was just one part of the long journey he has travelled from those dark days earlier this year, when he wondered whether he was up for football after all.

The game that had come so naturally to the Suns' first player was proving every bit as demanding as his early mentor and Gold Coast assistant Ken Hinkley had warned, and the extracurricular issues Guy McKenna and others had cautioned him about threatened to spiral out of control.
Good read. Hope he finds some good mates here, and a nice partner.

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Caro delivers once again. Really good read on big dix and how he joined the pear.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/charlie-dixon-finds-port-in-a-storm-20151125-gl85mj.html

For Charlie Dixon, the cultural and geographical distance from the Gold Coast to Port Adelaide was just one part of the long journey he has travelled from those dark days earlier this year, when he wondered whether he was up for football after all.

The game that had come so naturally to the Suns' first player was proving every bit as demanding as his early mentor and Gold Coast assistant Ken Hinkley had warned, and the extracurricular issues Guy McKenna and others had cautioned him about threatened to spiral out of control.

This article definitely brought a smile to my face.

And Hinkley? "I was no good for Charlie early ... well not no good, but really blunt. I told him, 'You've got no idea where you're going but they're going to come after you and they're going to smack you.'

Classic Ken

diegodcg

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
London, UK
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flamengo, Liverpool, St Helens, A's

This was a superb article. Thanks for sharing. It's good getting to know a bit more about our new man.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
.... Then there was the advice of his family, the call from Hinkley and the realisation he would be better away from the Gold Coast.

"I already knew what Kenny would bring to the table," said Dixon. "I knew the impact Ken would have on my game. At the Gold Coast he was the one who'd really ride me and who'd keep me accountable. That was something I needed." ...
:thumbsu:

The article provides more proof of how players are naturally drawn to Ken. Most develop a healthy respect for the man through his straight talking fatherly style. I liked this quote from Ken.

"One thing I know about Charlie is that when he's played his first five minutes with us, they'll know he's their teammate. They'll love having him as their teammate and they'll know he's there for keeps.

"And he'll pick them up at times and drag them along with him."

Charlie can do that literally as well.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
thats true for pretty much everyone, writing is meant to be more coherent.

i can't say I've heard her make any less sense than other unscripted pundits.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
For the most part, I like Caro but she stuffed up when she bought into the hysteria surrounding our fans' unruly behaviour at some games.

Adam Marrett23

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
Great artcile by Caro on Charlie. Speaks volumes of the influence Kennt has on these boys. As I've said earlier can see Charlie thriving in our environment seems a perfect fit

Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
The most exciting part of that article is that it intimates that Charlie has been cruising for a large amount of his AFL career. Get him into the right environment and get him focused and he could be absolutely anything.

Charlie engage beast mode........ now.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Not to? Simple, if you're struggling to sleep seek out the club doctors.

598509-6d7fe7b0-1010-11e5-92d4-be2ab03e6b13.jpg

"I thought the Fremantle Doctor was a sea breeze"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back