Player Watch #36: Callum Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking would not be too much of an issue if kicking to a smaller forward line where Rioli and others like Lids, Markov can pick it up off the turf and bang!!

I am just glad we got Broad and C Moore as well as the other Moore because our back line has been screaming for more of these types with agility and size

Kicking would not be too much of an issue if kicking to a smaller forward line where Rioli and others like Lids, Markov can pick it up off the turf and bang!!

I am just glad we got Broad and C Moore as well as the other Moore because our back line has been screaming for more of these types with agility and size
Agree. Apart form Rance and to a lesser extent Grimes our backline isn't the most agile.

I am reading bound for glory and it sounds according to them, apart from iffy kicking, his main issue is reading the play or footy IQ.

If this is the case there are a number of ways to improve this apart from general experience. First thing I would do is check his eyes, then do spacial awareness tests and development. The next thing is cognitive tests and and applied mathematics testing and development as well as guidance from players and coaches on settings/logic of transitional ball play etc..

Obviously as part of the development he can play as a defender and follow his man, play FF and concentrate on pure leading and if he is see ball get ball throw him on the ball to contest and then assess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's funny. Prior to reading this thread I was watching his highlights & I was thinking his kicking was ok! His technique looks similar to Dane Swan, not classic but very compact & gets it to where it needs to go. Dunno what everyone else is seeing but I reckon he's alright.

That's funny. Prior to reading this thread I was watching his highlights & I was thinking his kicking was ok! His technique looks similar to Dane Swan, not classic but very compact & gets it to where it needs to go. Dunno what everyone else is seeing but I reckon he's alright.

Kicking definitely a worry for me. Down back you go son....good pair of mits and takes the ball at the highest point.

I must confess this pick in terms of the risk/return potential has me probably the most excited of all of our youngsters. Especially when I read he came late to AFL and didn't really focus on it until he was 16yrs old.

I just look at the way he backs himself in his video the skills he has. The potential is there. Having said that I try to remember also, that there was a reason he slipped through to the rookie draft. Well worth the risk though IMHO. Quietly confident he could be , just about anything.....

The fact that he was bitterly disappointed to miss the draft is a good sign for me. It means that he expected to be picked up even though he has only recently started playing the sport. Others are more circumspect and say they didn't expect to be picked, Callum was openly shocked that he didn't. I like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back