Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm excited about the fella and I wish him huge success and his athletic talent will be something special one day.

If I can play Devils advocate for a moment. Sudanese birth certificates can be an interesting issue. A lot of countries in Africa do not record birth dates. There can be 1-3 years difference in ones age to the one they present in their Australian birth certificate.

I am not saying that Mabior is older/younger then 18. But I'm just interested to know if this is taken into account when drafting footballers of Sudanese decent. I remember reading about some young Latin baseballers buying other kids birth certificates to make it in big leagues. This sort of stuff would be pretty common in Africa I'm assuming.

Dragonss

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New Orlean Hornets
Really looks like a good decision maker from his highlights.

Very happy with this pick.
Ruckman/KPD
Good disposal from the look of it
Good decision maker
Can take a mark
Can still add on mass
Athletic
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

GPetro13

Team Captain
Nov 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I can't wait to see this kid in 3 years. By then he would have packed on atleast 10-12kilos, probably just made it to 200cm. Tiges have done extremely well in the rookie draft, probably better than the national draft......

jumpinjimmy

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Having watched both highlights, I'd say without bias that I much prefer Chol over Gach.
I say this because Chol appears to have better football skills and looks to be faster too. They're both project players but I reckon Chol is ahead.
About 1 month ago I too looked at the video's and thought the same...This bloke is an actual footballer now...he just needs to put some weight on and gain experience at the higher levels. Going to watch the VFL this year will be much different to years gone by .

RememberRoyce

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I saw him play in the u18 champs. The highlights sums him up as he didn't dominate by any stretch, but did some good things and obviously moves well. I believe he played for Yeronga but dont think he even played seniors but someone on the QFA board might be able offer more on that.
(Checking stats I see he did play
3 senior games for one best on against Burleigh where he kicked 6.)
And QFA is the 3rd tier up here but at least he has played against men (albeit with a few overweight couldabeens).

Will be very interesting to see how he handles Melb winter, wet grounds, big men and the speed of the game

Last edited:

Greg Tivendale

All Australian
Aug 5, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Miami Heat, QPR, Chicago Blackhawks
I'm excited about the fella and I wish him huge success and his athletic talent will be something special one day.

If I can play Devils advocate for a moment. Sudanese birth certificates can be an interesting issue. A lot of countries in Africa do not record birth dates. There can be 1-3 years difference in ones age to the one they present in their Australian birth certificate.

I am not saying that Mabior is older/younger then 18. But I'm just interested to know if this is taken into account when drafting footballers of Sudanese decent. I remember reading about some young Latin baseballers buying other kids birth certificates to make it in big leagues. This sort of stuff would be pretty common in Africa I'm assuming.

Interesting point you raise.........we had a lad at school who attended for a few years, meant to be 16 years old but in fact turned out he was 22!!!!! Represented Victoria in soccer and everything. I'm pretty certain he was African also.

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting point you raise.........we had a lad at school who attended for a few years, meant to be 16 years old but in fact turned out he was 22!!!!! Represented Victoria in soccer and everything. I'm pretty certain he was African also.
Guessing when he rocked up with his wife and three kids questions were asked...

CHIMP MAGNET

Premiership Player
May 23, 2011
man, woman, chimp
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Eliminationfinalmond
CMm1QKNVEAA22WM.jpg

reserves footy for brisbane
he'll be dominating VFL by the end of the year

look at that ass, you could mine blood diamonds out of there