Player Watch #32 - Corey Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure I agree with that.

If we drafted Cotchin/Martin/B Ellis this year they would be playing in round 1, even if they were 18 yrs old. Just saying
Cotchin didn't even debut in Round 1 back in 2009 as we needed to get him over injury and help build his achilles up
Martin probably would have
Ellis? Maybe, debatable

that's one way of looking at it.

The other way to look at it is that the 1st round draft picks were good enough to force themselves into the team by round one.
Jury is out if Ellis, Lennon are good enough
Literally not sure if you're extracting the urine or not? Both had interrupted preseasons, and even if they hadn't, the jury wouldn't have even been selected yet..

No. But I told him I wanted him at Richmond. However, he'll inject some much needed talent into the bombers list!

The 2 clubs are quite a contrast. Wonder if Ellis could get into his mates ear , in a year or 2 ?;)

Remember that guy that come on here and said even though he supported the Boomers he and his closest family members didnt want him going there because of the drugs.

Their number one preference was Tigers. Oh and Laverde is dud delist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellis hasn't even played!
Why are you saying the jury is out? That makes no sense at all. The jury hasn't even sat in the jury box yet for him! So they can't be out which means they've heard the evidence and are still deliberating.
Even for Lennon, the jury have only heard the opening statements so they also can't be out!

The point is, we can't just assume that Lennon and C Ellis are going to make it. They may not make it. Hope they do, but they have a lot of work to do, just like most 18 yr olds. This is different to Martin/Cotch/B Ellis, who had some skills that stood out from the start, Thats all I am saying.

dont think so

Ellis as an 18 yr old would replace Pettard, Grigg

I disagree. Ellis was a bit of a deer in headlights throughout his first year and struggled for the first half of his 2nd. His rapid rate of improvement is a huge credit to him.

Martin and Cotch barring injury would be starters but as has been said they are top 3 picks so you expect that, especially from mids.

The point is, we can't just assume that Lennon and C Ellis are going to make it. They may not make it. Hope they do, but they have a lot of work to do, just like most 18 yr olds. This is different to Martin/Cotch/B Ellis, who had some skills that stood out from the start, Thats all I am saying.
The good old out of the top 10 draft pick stigma.

I disagree. Ellis was a bit of a deer in headlights throughout his first year and struggled for the first half of his 2nd. His rapid rate of improvement is a huge credit to him.

Martin and Cotch barring injury would be starters but as has been said they are top 3 picks so you expect that, especially from mids.

B. Ellis showed some good signs but there's no way he would have started in Rd. 1. There were even people bemoaning him as a draft miss in his second year.

Well this is a thread about Corey Ellis, who cannot start in Round 1 due to injury. So it is somewhat relevant.
As said though, there is a difference for Top 3 picks. Guess we'll find out if Isaac Heeney plays for Sydney in Round 1 considering he was rated at #2

or Joel Selwood, or Cyril Rioli

some boys are just good enough to play in any team at 18 yrs old, some of the others, we make excuses for.

some boys are just good enough to play in any team at 18 yrs old, some of the others, we make excuses for.

oh dear was going to let this roll slid but couldnt help myself..

Any idea how many VFL/reserves games Micheal Tuck played before he played 400+ games and multiple premiership captain..

So if a player is not Martin, Selwood & Rioli level from Day 1 we need to make excuses for them not being good enough?
Wow!

So if a player is not Martin, Selwood & Rioli level from Day 1 we need to make excuses for them not being good enough?
Wow!

You mean to tell me Corey Ellis isnt Gary Ablett yet?

Dud, Delist

That's being a bit selective I think. Sloane only played on game in 2009 and then only 14 the following year. Rockliff is the same with only one game in his first year. Callan Ward only 6. I know none of those guys were first rounders but this is the level of player we would be aiming for (elite).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back