Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Fortunately all his good attributes appear to be physical and his problem areas are areas that can be fixed with the right coaching and teaching.

If nothing else, he'll be a crowd favourite and should provide some level of excitement for the early attendees at the ressies, at least for the first year..

Based on those clips, he looks a bit further along in his development that I would have thought for a "raw" prospect. We'll see. We certainly need a guy to come in and develop as a defender.

this would be footage from his QLD days. Apparently he was rucking at 190cms:eek:..long arms. Some good stuff here, early days, I know, but..

At 196cm, he could be like Goodes-like around the ruck.

But watching his work in defence I'm scarily reminded of the good things about Harry O'brien. Forget the baggage factor, I'm talking about that read of the flight on long bomb up the ground, of having the athleticism to body work an opponent searching for the drop, and also importantly of his ability to spoil from a distance. I also note his first step with ball when running into pressure from defence is excellent and very hard to tackle...he could be a scary sight for FWDs and MIDs the League over if the Swans can panel beat him into our structure.

For pick 44 in a shallow draft pool I'm giving this a tick. :thumbsu:

Welcome Aliir.

He'll become a gun like Goodes!

You watch!

Bookmark it!
Narr, I seen him play. Those highlight vid's really don't show his shank's and he looks to always watch the ball go over his head..hint can't read the play. Don't get me wrong I would love to see someone of Natainui's ability come along but this guy doesn't have it.

Narr, I seen him play. Those highlight vid's really don't show his shank's and he looks to always watch the ball go over his head..hint can't read the play. Don't get me wrong I would love to see someone of Natainui's ability come along but this guy doesn't have it.

Yer we are mostly just taking the piss we know he is gonna be a project player.

negativity.jpg

Cheers for that.

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be better than Natanui.

Happy with this one too. I like our first 3..Aliir Aliir is a WTF..
As bizarre as the idea of Aliir Aliir it's not all that much of a surprise. He's a superior athlete. His size, strength, speed and not to mention his decent leap will be valuable assets to the swans back line. Not to mention the swans are in need of some tall defenders. At the moment it's still too early to say how well he will succeed at AFL level. But give him a chance before knocking him. He's a project player nothing more at this stage and he can stay a rookie for the next 3 years so I don't see any big loss in recruiting him. He's worth the minimal risk there is in recruiting him. Even with the limited salary cap of Buddy.

As bizarre as the idea of Aliir Aliir it's not all that much of a surprise. He's a superior athlete. His size, strength, speed and not to mention his decent leap will be valuable assets to the swans back line. Not to mention the swans are in need of some tall defenders. At the moment it's still too early to say how well he will succeed at AFL level. But give him a chance before knocking him. He's a project player nothing more at this stage and he can stay a rookie for the next 3 years so I don't see any big loss in recruiting him. He's worth the minimal risk there is in recruiting him. Even with the limited salary cap of Buddy.

I moved this here from the Jones thread Turkey, I know your initial reply was to a post on the Jones thread but it seemed to belong in relation to a full discussion on Aliir Aliir.

I'm ok with it, was just a bit left field.

It's a bit early for people to be knocking the kid. Look at the positives, he is a supreme athlete. He's also fairly new to the sport and raw talent got him onto a senior afl list, imaging what he could learn in an afl environment. Give the kid a chance, I'm excited to see what he can produce over the next 2-3 years

It's a bit early for people to be knocking the kid. Look at the positives, he is a supreme athlete. He's also fairly new to the sport and raw talent got him onto a senior afl list, imaging what he could learn in an afl environment. Give the kid a chance, I'm excited to see what he can produce over the next 2-3 years

Pardon the intrusion guys.

This guy moves like a panther and is a seriously big , well built unit. East Freo moved him into defence last season and he really showed something , still has a lot to learn but you have made a good call - persevere and you could have a gem in 2-3 years

He is also a very decent young man. My son was at East Freo Colts testing on Saturday with other 1st year boys.
Aliir made a point of comong down to the Club to thank all the Coaches personally before he left. He also came up to the new boys and wished them well in their careers. That's pretty impressive stuff for an 18yo :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Sheehan said on the draft telecast that Aliir is a really really nice guy so hearing that story also adds weight to Sheehan's statement. It is good as nice and likeable players is a very underrated thing at football clubs.

From the Swans instagram. He's like the Australian Mario Balotelli. They're both black and play sports!

Attachments

• aliir.jpg
    aliir.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 120

Remove this Banner Ad

Back