Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:

Well this guy has been a revelation late this year in an area of concern going into the year depth wise.

Love his ability to take on the game and use the ball, makes good decisions, reads play well

He doesn't panic when he has the ball either.

No silly handballs back around, he gets it and finds space in traffic

Would trust him to reverse park my car, where as I think some would leave it running in the street and just run off

Having read the whole thread it's interesting that his kicking was considered to be very poor when he came to the swans. He now looks very reliable by foot. Shame a couple of our other players haven't improved their kicking in the same way.

It's great seeing him continually pick the right options and hit his target by foot. He knows he isn't capable of drilling a 50m bullet pass so doesn't even bother trying, he knows his limitations and as such rarely makes a mistake. Basically the polar opposite of someone like Matt Suckling, knows he is capable of the odd freakish kick and continually tries to pull it off despite completely fuc*ing it up more often than not.

It's great seeing him continually pick the right options and hit his target by foot. He knows he isn't capable of drilling a 50m bullet pass so doesn't even bother trying, he knows his limitations and as such rarely makes a mistake. Basically the polar opposite of someone like Matt Suckling, knows he is capable of the odd freakish kick and continually tries to pull it off despite completely fuc*ing it up more often than not.

A lot of players fall into that trap. I'd say it's something Rampe has learnt this year in particular. Same with Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I f***en love this bloke. Love watching his loping style and footy smarts. Early days yet but I get a really good feeling he's going to be a big name and long may he flourish at the Swans.

And plus it's a great immigrant story which serves as a poke in the eye to the creeping xenophobia of this country.

Early days yet but I get a really good feeling he's going to be a big name and long may he flourish at the Swans.
He's going to be two big names. :)

Kudos to our WA talent spotter. Freo fans on the weekend must have been wondering how he ended up on the other side of the country.

Was a good draft for us in hindsight. Chand, Jones, Hewett & Nankervis.
I remember at the time thinking that we'd got nothing that draft. Not based on my knowledge of the players but because the other sides overlooked them. Jones was rated, Hewitt was too young, Nanka was too slow and Chand had numerous other key defenders in front of him.

Can't you go onto another thread for this minority love in?
Bit touchy? I think I made it pretty clear I realise his first priority is playing the best football he can, but frankly, football without the wider picture of the real world bores me.

Sorry if the rest is so painful for you to read, but you could always ignore it.

Bit touchy? I think I made it pretty clear I realise his first priority is playing the best football he can, but frankly, football without the wider picture of the real world bores me.

Sorry if the rest is so painful for you to read, but you could always ignore it.

SBD,

While normally I am a big advocate for 'just ignoring it', race, religion and politics are not really suitable topics for discussion on a footy board. The only time we relaxed this rule somewhat was for Adam Goodes last year, for obvious reasons.

You can highlight Aliir's Sudanese background as he is a trailblazer just like the great Canadian Mike Pyke, but the topics of racism and xenophobia are best discussed on a different forum.

SBD,

While normally I am a big advocate for 'just ignoring it', race, religion and politics are not really suitable topics for discussion on a footy board. The only time we relaxed this rule somewhat was for Adam Goodes last year, for obvious reasons.

You can highlight Aliir's Sudanese background as he is a trailblazer just like the great Canadian Mike Pyke, but the topics of racism and xenophobia are best discussed on a different forum.

I'll back SBD Gonzalez and say I support his post...it's a great effort to achieve what that pasty, bald, slow, no left foot leader didn't! :D

I f***en love this bloke. Love watching his loping style and footy smarts. Early days yet but I get a really good feeling he's going to be a big name and long may he flourish at the Swans.

And plus it's a great immigrant story which serves as a poke in the eye to the creeping xenophobia of this country.
More importantly he's a great example to the other Sudanese males out there who choose a life of crime instead of the straight and narrow. Like many of them, Aliir grew up without a father, moved home frequently and he has become successful. They should take a leaf out of his book.

More importantly he's a great example to the other Sudanese males out there who choose a life of crime instead of the straight and narrow. Like many of them, Aliir grew up without a father, moved home frequently and he has become successful. They should take a leaf out of his book.

Those ones always have Collingwood as a back up plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back