Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Billings looks to be a ripper as well though. Classy mover and a deadeye when it comes to goals. Reminds me of Gia to be honest. Both as a forward and when he moves into the middle. Does anyone remember when Gia used to get bulk minutes in the middle at age 26-27 and how good he was? So much poise and just had the ball on a string. Regularly collected 30 possessions when left in there for a whole game but rarely injected because he was also one of our best half forwards. Thats the type of player Jack Billings will become i think.

Imagine how st kilda feel...

Thet could have had Bont and took a midget

They probably feel the same as we felt with the first round selections of christian mmm
Imagine how st kilda feel...

Thet could have had Bont and took a midget
They probably feel like we did after some of our first round draft selection shockers ...... including;
2001 - Sam Power
2002 - Tim Walsh
2003 - Farren Ray
2004 - Tom Williams
2006 - Andrejs Everitt
2007 - Jarrad Grant
2008 - Ayce Cordy
2009 - Christian Howard

Pretty sad reading for first round selections .... especially when you compare who was taken after these picks.

They probably feel the same as we felt with the first round selections of christian mmm

They probably feel like we did after some of our first round draft selection shockers ...... including;
2001 - Sam Power
2002 - Tim Walsh
2003 - Farren Ray
2004 - Tom Williams
2006 - Andrejs Everitt
2007 - Jarrad Grant
2008 - Ayce Cordy
2009 - Christian Howard

Pretty sad reading for first round selections .... especially when you compare who was taken after these picks.

What no Jordan McMahon or Luke Penny?

Leon Cameron
Brad Johnson
Nathan Brown
Robert Murphy
Will Minson
Adam Cooney
Ryan Griffen
Shaun Higgins
Mitch Wallis
Clay Smith
Jake Stringer
Jackson Macrae
Nathan Hrovat
Marcus Bontempelli

Last edited:
God he's a gun.

It makes me sick to think what could have occurred had we overlooked him.

I know I've joined in and maybe gotten a bit ahead of myself at times. But does anyone else think we're putting a bit too much pressure on the kid?
He's had a brilliant first year but so did Jared Brennan and any host of other footballers. I think we all need to take a deep breath and lower our expectations a bit.

I know I've joined in and maybe gotten a bit ahead of myself at times. But does anyone else think we're putting a bit too much pressure on the kid?
He's had a brilliant first year but so did Jared Brennan and any host of other footballers. I think we all need to take a deep breath and lower our expectations a bit.

It's still quite amazing to think of the turn around. This time last year a lot of supporters were feeling sick at the thought of picking him up over Aish. Now he is the most loved player since Chris Grant :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate on this board you can be sure that if he misses one handball or drops one marks we'll be ruing why we overlooked Aish again. Ride the wave mate, you don't really have a choice

In this thread of all places?

I8kq0uJ.gif

Mate on this board you can be sure that if he misses one handball or drops one marks we'll be ruing why we overlooked Aish again. Ride the wave mate, you don't really have a choice
Great point. I remember when Jones was the second coming after his first year.
You only have to listen to the way Bonts talks to the media to know that he has his head screwed on the right way, which I'm not sure was the case with Brennan - who didn't really want to do the hard work required to fulfil his potential ability.
Not saying he's the same as Brennan, but history has been littered with player who've looked amazing in their first few years and have amounted to very little. Now all signs point to the this not being the case with Bonts, but we still need to temper our expectations, especially if next year he turns around and has a bit of second year blues.

Not saying he's the same as Brennan, but history has been littered with player who've looked amazing in their first few years and have amounted to very little. Now all signs point to the this not being the case with Bonts, but we still need to temper our expectations, especially if next year he turns around and has a bit of second year blues.

On the contrary, we as a club downplay expectations so much, perhaps more than any other club.

I think we need to collectively set the bar a bit higher when it comes to expectations at our club. We have to dream of bigger and greater things if we are going to eventually get there. Setting the bar low for ourselves is most probably conter-productive in a way.

It's the 'safer' option to avoid disappointment, but hang it - I'd rather be disappointed after I had big hopes for Bonts dashed than to have not hoped at all.

keep-calm-and-jump-on-the-bandwagon-2.png

On the contrary, we as a club downplay expectations so much, perhaps more than any other club.

I think we need to collectively set the bar a bit higher when it comes to expectations at our club. We have to dream of bigger and greater things if we are going to eventually get there. Setting the bar low for ourselves is most probably conter-productive in a way.

It's the 'safer' option to avoid disappointment, but hang it - I'd rather be disappointed after I had big hopes for Bonts dashed than to have not hoped at all.

keep-calm-and-jump-on-the-bandwagon-2.png
Not on players we don't. Every kid is the next big thing until they aren't and then they should be traded for ordinary fringe Geelong players. I'm just calling for a bit of calm.
But fair enough. Bandwagon all you like, set up real temples, just don't start burning them down when he has an indifferent game or year. I think he has plenty to be excited about but I feel for a kid with all this expectation on his shoulders, I mean he was playing at CHF at times in his first ******* year.

He would be at Collingwood :(

He'd be a Rising Star, Goal of the year winner if he was.

I'll just have to temper my enthusiasm whist I content myself watching him represent the Bulldogs and wait for the genuine accolades to roll in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back