Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Bontempelli just ran 2nd at Albion Park dogs, started around 2nd fav.
Slow out then came home hard, think it was it's first start. One to watch.

*Edit: Sorry that was his 4th start.
Let me guess ... the dog who won led all the way ... was it called "Taylor"?

Last year I noticed 'Brendan McCartney' had a horse running and I'd seen before that he owns a few horses, chucked some cash on it and he got up :p
Good to see it cracking in. I'll bet it was well schooled.
I got on him at $501, seriously he doesn't have too many taking votes off him. He's a smokey.
I'd like to see you win the bet ... but much more than that I'd love to see lots of teammates taking votes off him. :)

Just a random question boys because I've heard the bont being compared to him, but how good was Kouta as a player? He was a bit befor my time
Good, but overrated IMO. From memory he was brilliant for a short few seasons but not for a long, sustained career like say Brad Johnson, Lenny Hayes or Matthew Pavlich. (My memory of any highlights relating to Carlton might be slightly impaired though).
What had people raving about him was that he was the classic Greek Adonis - wonderful physique. He was dubbed the prototype modern footballer, just like people say that Bonts is.*

*I had to bring it back on topic. I know how you feel about that, Ant_ ;)

Let me guess ... the dog who won led all the way ... was it called "Taylor"?

Good to see it cracking in. I'll bet it was well schooled.

Yes, but straight after the race the jockey and trainer quit.

I'd like to see you win the bet ... but much more than that I'd love to see lots of teammates taking votes off him. :)

I don't believe Bonts can be tagged
Of course he can be tagged, Gary Ablett has been tagged effectively. It will just have to take a very good tagger to do it.
Just a random question boys because I've heard the bont being compared to him, but how good was Kouta as a player? He was a bit befor my time
Have to disagree slightly with DW here. My hatred for Carlton is legendary, but even that couldn't taint my view on Kouta. At his best he was the most unstoppable and versatile player ever to put on the boots. He'd play midfield, CHF and CHB in the same game switching between them when needed, he was fast, strong, skilled and tough as they come. Unfortunately, he was only this for about a year and a half, ravaged by injury he was only ever a shadow of his former self.
But at his best, only Grant was better (and that may only be my bias talking).

Carlton and their salary cap cheating took a lot of shine from Kouta as they were rock bottom the last few years of his career, he was a dynamo in the mid-late 90s, played anywhere between the arcs then he did his knee in 2000 and was used as a big bodied mid until he retired afterwards, but he lost a lot of aerial power due to the knee.

My girlfriend was laughing when I got out of the shower this morning. Apparently while I was in there I was just randomly yelling out Bontempelli! It's completely subliminal now I didn't even realize I was doing it!
I thought that was going in a different direction.. Wow.

My girlfriend was laughing when I got out of the shower this morning. Apparently while I was in there I was just randomly yelling out Bontempelli! It's completely subliminal now I didn't even realize I was doing it!
Who doesn't think about the Bont in the Shower. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the comparisons come because Bonts has a very similar physique. There haven't been many boys if that size since Koutafides who can play mid. The other similarity I see is the inability to be tackled. Arms up high out of the tackle. It's a unique skill. Wait til we see Bonts after another couple years in the gym

Of course he can be tagged, Gary Ablett has been tagged effectively. It will just have to take a very good tagger to do it.
I don't want to compare Bontempelli to Ablett at all, but from a purely physical point of view Bontempelli would be almost impossible to tag. We saw on the weekend when he lined up forward next to Greenwood.

He could be 194cm and 100kg by the time he's 21, there isn't many people who can match that. Koutta and Goodes are the only two players I can think of who had that physical profile, and they were both unstoppable.

I don't want to compare Bontempelli to Ablett at all, but from a purely physical point of view Bontempelli would be almost impossible to tag. We saw on the weekend when he lined up forward next to Greenwood.
I think, in time, he will be impossible to tag effectively.

We can't forget that Stringer will be able to run through the middle in time - Bont goes forward to create the mismatch with his tagger and we still get a monster running through the centre who is too big & strong for 99% of opponents.
Getting the tagger out of the centre leaving Macrae & Libba in there unharrassed? Oh 'damn'

He could be 194cm and 100kg by the time he's 21, there isn't many people who can match that. Koutta and Goodes are the only two players I can think of who had that physical profile, and they were both unstoppable.
Morris tagged Goodes pretty effectively. I think we're going a bit early with Bont being unstoppable. There will be games where his influence will be curbed and that's to be expected in professional football. The plus side of that is not every team will have a player who can do it and even when they do it leaves Stringer and Macrae without a tag.

Morris tagged Goodes pretty effectively.
So we disrupt an opposition defence by taking their best mid/tallish stopper out of his normal position and make them run in the midfield?

Toyd, Redpath, Stringer & Crameri like this :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back