Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he leading the dogs tackle count after 10 tackles against the Eagles and the Tiges? Is he leading the competition in tackles?
Yes and Yes. 20 tackles for the Bont, next best are Dahlhaus and Josh P. Kennedy with 17.

Kid is still only 19 which I think heaps of people forget when his compared to Treloar, Jager etc, the other guns (Treloar, Wingard, Jager etc) are all 21-22 which is pretty huge in terms of pre-seasons etc. Reckon he will be a top 5 player in the competition in a couple of years and hopefully eventually elevate to #1 GOAT.
I've noticed in the last quarters of both games, he's looked buggered. Was running on the spot, and there was a moment late in the Richmond game where there was a handball over his head where he sorta had to turn and jump and intercept it, and he couldn't, he didn't have the power to do it and was fatigued.
To his credit he still got up and was involved in the play soon after. Found space and marked the ball when we were trying to keep possession.
A few more pre-seasons under his belt, and when he can run out games just as well or if not better than an average player, he'll be even more dominant than he is now. Scary thought.

Been following the dogs for more than 50 years. The best I have seen in no particular order are

Are
Whitten
Dempsey
Hawkins
Grant
Quinlan
Templeton
Johnson
West

The best of these in his first 2 years was Chris Grant I never saw Teddy play in his first 2 years. The Bont will no doubt join these however I still think Chris Grant at a younger age was better. That is down grading the Bont just shows how good Chris was, maybe I will have different view by the end of this season.

Tompembelli? Never heard of him! Don't think other teams would have to worry about him at all, honestly he is no threat.**

**Poor attempt to try and stop opposition from playing ten guys at once on him every game.

I've noticed in the last quarters of both games, he's looked buggered. Was running on the spot, and there was a moment late in the Richmond game where there was a handball over his head where he sorta had to turn and jump and intercept it, and he couldn't, he didn't have the power to do it and was fatigued.
To his credit he still got up and was involved in the play soon after. Found space and marked the ball when we were trying to keep possession.
A few more pre-seasons under his belt, and when he can run out games just as well or if not better than an average player, he'll be even more dominant than he is now. Scary thought.

Yet he was the last bloke to touch the ball. Richmond had a dead rubber shot at goal on the siren, was Bonti who took the initiative to make sure he killed the ball. Star player with star work ethic:)

Yet he was the last bloke to touch the ball. Richmond had a dead rubber shot at goal on the siren, was Bonti who took the initiative to make sure he killed the ball. Star player with star work ethic:)
He literally does it all, saw him down back again at important stages killing the ball. He goes 3rd man up in ruck contests and palms the ball straight down one of our boys throats. What can't he do?!?!

Been following the dogs for more than 50 years. The best I have seen in no particular order are

Are
Whitten
Dempsey
Hawkins
Grant
Quinlan
Templeton
Johnson
West

The best of these in his first 2 years was Chris Grant I never saw Teddy play in his first 2 years. The Bont will no doubt join these however I still think Chris Grant at a younger age was better. That is down grading the Bont just shows how good Chris was, maybe I will have different view by the end of this season.

I feel that Quinlan's first two years were on a par with Granty.

Believe me, that is in no way denigrating The Great Man.

Quinlan could do anything.

Can't believe I'm saying this, given the records of these two, but I think the Bont is their equal at this stage.

After a couple of real matches it's plain to see how much he has improved since he's been at the club.
He's stronger, faster and fitter than last year and he's more consistent with his kicking. (As in launching 60 metre bombs into the forward line consistently, last year he'd tire and drop back down to 45 metre kicks).

Can't believe I'm saying this, given the records of these two, but I think the Bont is their equal at this stage.

Don't forget, footy may have been tougher when Quinlan and Grant were coming into the system, but it was nowhere near as grueling for a 17 year old kid to come into a professional environment as it is now.

I've always maintained that Stringer is going to be the best thing since Grant to walk into the club, but I have a bad feeling I might be wrong on this one.

Bont turned 19 a couple of months ago and is legitimately our best player at the moment. It's unheard of. People talk about the impact Selwood made at the Cats but Bontempelli is doing things that Selwood just couldn't, even with all those names around him. He's leading the league in certain areas ffs.

I don't like to make big calls but, truth be told, if things keep going the way they are he's going to be the best player in the game. And we haven't had a player like that in a long, long time.

I'm nervous thinking about how good this kid can be. I cannot possibly fathom how he didn't go at pick 1, 2 or 3.
The 2013 draft will be the basis for much wailing at GWS and StKilda for years to come. "How come we took Boyd/Kelly/Billings ahead of Bont?" (Just as we regularly lament the ones that got away like Fyfe and Carlisle - we took Howard).

The truth is that Bont was considered a bit of a reach at #4 and everyone was into Boyd, Kelly and Billings.

Credit to Dalrymple once again. Whatever he does from here he will always be remembered as the bloke who picked Bonty ahead of so many other players being pumped up by the media.

Hey don't give Dal too much credit! Obviously he heard Collingwood were into Bont so he just had to take him. I bet he hadn't even seen Bont play before but if Collingwood are interested well, how could we pass on him?!

What a terribly stupid ******* idea that is, are the people saying that actually *ed or what?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah can't have that Dimma , Quinlan showed some real flashes early on , but was very inconsistent , as you would expect. No way he was going to kick 50 goals in his first year.
But with you on Bont , none better that's walked in the door !

Apropos of not much at all, Our Lord & Saviour is now equal 5th favourite for the Brownlow at 30/1. Kudos and good luck to all the punters who jumped on him at 500000/1 (or whatever it was).

When was the last time such a young gun managed 20 tackles in the first two rounds of a season? Any 19 year old ever done that?

We may need to shut this thread down mods before the AFL have him tested for alien DNA.

I knew he was the standout of our pre-season but didn't think he'd come on so quickly adapting to tags. He's still got so much scope for improvement physically too.

So I've taken off my shoes and I'm paying my respects, sniffing the burning incense while I'm at it.

This guy is going to be a star. Is one already. Could very easily be the best player in the competition within a couple of years.

This kid is actually a legitimate chance at the brownlow this year, and if my math is correct he would still be 19 when it is awarded.

I went to the game with my old man and instead of cheering we were just...

aaa1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back