Toast Welcome to West Coast rookie pick 5 - Will Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

My main concern is him being an outside midfielder that needs to work on his DE. It is easy enough for inside mids to change their game and hand off to outside mids rather than kicking. But an outside mid will need to learn to kick the damn ball straight!

At least, I hope that is what Simpson brings to the table.

Welcome to the club Will.
Sounds like you were unlucky to miss out on the NAB Draft so I hope you have a bit of love for the Eagles for giving you a chance to prove 17 other clubs missed out.:p:thumbsu:

After reading the reviews on this kid how the hell did he fall to the rookie draft? As many have note "Bonus Xmas Pressie for us":D

Good on him, but hard to get excited about someone you get in a rookie draft, I remember all the excitement about Michael Mascoulis and he barely stayed on the list for a year, meh

Haven't had too much to be excited about this year. The draft is the last bit of footy we can get excited about so come on join the excitement train, even reluctantly if must be. ;)

Good on him, but hard to get excited about someone you get in a rookie draft, I remember all the excitement about Michael Mascoulis and he barely stayed on the list for a year, meh

Constant Injury - hamstrings - held him back from reaching his potential.

My main concern is him being an outside midfielder that needs to work on his DE. It is easy enough for inside mids to change their game and hand off to outside mids rather than kicking. But an outside mid will need to learn to kick the damn ball straight!

At least, I hope that is what Simpson brings to the table.

Yes, kicking style is a little up and under, dab kicks rather than kick through the ball.

It looks a bit meh, to me, but we'll see. Welcome aboard Will.

Yes, kicking style is a little up and under, dab kicks rather than kick through the ball.

My thoughts exactly. I want our outside runners to have pin point passes to the F50. That can be fixed though, so hopefully Simpson has the coaching team put the required focus on it.

Seems like a good rookie pick. Not that eye catching, but solid game, good athlete and motivated. A lot of the successful rookies are those things. His TAC stats are good. Averaged 28 touches, 5 inside 50s, 3 rebounds and 6 clearances a game.

Just by his highlights video those kicks look good to a leading forward.

My thoughts exactly. I want our outside runners to have pin point passes to the F50. That can be fixed though, so hopefully Simpson has the coaching team put the required focus on it.

He seems more inside/outside balanced than what we normally think of as an outside runner though. Sorta that link up player between the guys in the packs and the guy running past.

His team-orientation/smarts make me think he'll be good with things like blocking and freeing up players. Surely an upgrade on McGinnity.

He seems more inside/outside balanced than what we normally think of as an outside runner though. Sorta that link up player between the guys in the packs and the guy running past.

His team-orientation/smarts make me think he'll be good with things like blocking and freeing up players. Surely an upgrade on McGinnity.

Not hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think the Jarrad McVeigh comparison I read in one profile looks to be pretty accurate going off my 2 min viewing. Bit of inside, bit of outside, neat skills but not anything special, leader. McVeigh is one of the hardest runners in the game and Magguiness will need to be the same if he is to make it in that role.

Wow. Good work Eagles! Great pick up, good pace and a ball magnet, some people are blessed with pace and it's a harder aspect to increase. But disposal efficiency is something that can definitely be improved of easier with large amounts of practise. Which an elite AFL club would be able to help improve. Although are disposal efficiency wasn't all this great this year as long as the eagles can make it a focus I'm sure it can vastly improve our midfield. I find him as more of a project player for now and might take a while to debut or get a regular game. But never the less, great pick up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back