Toast Welcome to West Coast rookie pick 5 - Will Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

You called your son Judas? Seems a bit harsh.

My wife wouldn't let me call him Chris Judd (as a middle name) so I had to use my imagination and come up with something else. :p
Ouch, sorry Swannies....maybe your son will play for WC and stay once he has the captaincy, a Brownlow and as Premiership medallion or three.. ;)
Oh no, it's worse than that. He has no interest in footy. I have to referee soccer matches and watch him play baseball. :mad: Oh the ignominy. :(

I like the comment about being a 'student of the game' as well as decent size and skills.

From what I've seen on his highlights he looks like he thinks before he kicks, he looks, assesses what is happening / available up the ground and even changes his option, then kicks out front to advantage.

Sure at AFL level everything is faster but the kid looks like he's a smart footballer.

I like smart footballers.:):thumbsu:

I actually think the Jarrad McVeigh comparison I read in one profile looks to be pretty accurate going off my 2 min viewing. Bit of inside, bit of outside, neat skills but not anything special, leader. McVeigh is one of the hardest runners in the game and Magguiness will need to be the same if he is to make it in that role.

Think I agree with you, from the highlights I thought he ran to good position and seemed to be an intelligent footballer. Good decision making is paramount in this game unless you can mark everything that comes your way and kick 75 metres accurately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he sounds excellent but as someone else pointed out, we thought the same of Mascoulis.

He was crippled by injury before the draft and was drafted on the back of his underage form. His injury problems continued afterwards and was quickly chopped from the Rookie list. Maginness by comparison had a big year in the TAC cup and will hopefully have enough time on the list to develop.

:oops: My son is not named after Ben, it's after the first Brownlow medallist. Who also doesn't punch through the ball but directs it to the right place and pokes at the ball. What an old fool I look like now. :(

images

My main concern is him being an outside midfielder that needs to work on his DE. It is easy enough for inside mids to change their game and hand off to outside mids rather than kicking. But an outside mid will need to learn to kick the damn ball straight!

At least, I hope that is what Simpson brings to the table.

You make a good point. However Rosa and Embley have gotten by as predominantly outside players without being particularly good kicks. Sounds like Maginess doesn't have their size but is quicker

I actually think the Jarrad McVeigh comparison I read in one profile looks to be pretty accurate going off my 2 min viewing. Bit of inside, bit of outside, neat skills but not anything special, leader. McVeigh is one of the hardest runners in the game and Magguiness will need to be the same if he is to make it in that role.

Oh I hope you are right

Not sure if posted but Will's profile from Inside Footy:

"Will's a terrific character and very driven young man who was one of our co-captains this year. Some of his midfield play is really quite exciting and his contest to contest play and running of the smart lines is quite exciting. I think he's a second round pick for some club, he's got a terrific attitude, a great work rate and wonderful attitude, so whoever picks him is going to get a really good player and one thats going to be a very good citizen for their club" - Oakleigh region manager Mark Smart

TAC disposal efficiency (7 games) - 67%
U 18 Champs (3 games) - 77%

You make a good point. However Rosa and Embley have gotten by as predominantly outside players without being particularly good kicks. Sounds like Maginess doesn't have their size but is quicker

What you talking about willis, Rosa's same, right footed, high helicopter passes are just what JK loves.

My wife wouldn't let me call him Chris Judd (as a middle name) so I had to use my imagination and come up with something else. :p

Oh no, it's worse than that. He has no interest in footy. I have to referee soccer matches and watch him play baseball. :mad: Oh the ignominy. :(
What? I think I'd disown my kid if he wanted to play soccer over footy... :eek:
Poor Swannies..... :(

Lucky I don't have any kids yet :)

Does the kid have red hair? I assume you've had paternity tests done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back