Well, I'm done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree 100% with "Sausages" with one suggested amendment- recruit only Queenslanders and Tasmanians.

Fair enough too, as I can see the value in bringing other disenfranchised fans into the game.

Letter as written, complete with my name, has been emailed to the club.

And posted on the AFL Facebook page.

After hearing the stefan martin news, i think i'm done as well. Losing 3 talented players, amongst being stuck with a clueless coach, amongst waiting every year with only terrible results to show for it just too much for me. Let's be real here guys and admit that we're at least 5 years away from finals contention. Funny thing though, at the end of 2012, we were like 2 years away from it! It's like we're just going backwards and backwards and once 2020 arrives, we will likely be 10 years away.

This club has given me absolutely no reason to follow them, and i can't see how anyone here can actually justify a membership when we cannot even score 40 points in a game! I'm not a bandwagon supporter, and it doesn't bother me if we ever become the best team in the competition, but why should i follow a team that gets smashed week in and week out? A team who has been down the bottom for the past 5 years and will spend the next 5 doing the same?

* this. Time to follow another code.

Last edited:
After hearing the stefan martin news, i think i'm done as well. Losing 3 talented players, amongst being stuck with a clueless coach, amongst waiting every year with only terrible results is just too ******* much for me. Let's be real here guys and admit that we're at least 5 years away from finals contention. Funny thing though, at the end of 2012, we were like 2 years away from it! It's like we're just going backwards and backwards and once 2020 arrives, we will likely be 10 years away.

**** this. Time to follow another code.
What news?

Well he is still in contract so we would get something pretty good in return, also he is 29 so you would think he has a couple of years left....

Perhaps he can help us get the key forward he need? Or perhaps a key defender to help out since Merrett is more injury prone these days? It's not all doom and gloom, it be disappointing but I am confident we can snag something very fair.

At the very least, it could help us secure our academy kids much more easily.

I have to agree. I almost turned the TV off for the first time on Saturday against North because I knew that crap we were playing wasnt going to win us the game. The game style doesn't suit our players. All we do is self destruct when the pressure gets too much and we have no functioning forward line. It even seems like the players don't care either and not giving 100%. This is the lowest ebb that I have felt as a supporter of this football club and so much wish we were a descent team.

As for Martin, didn't he extend his contract this year?

I have to agree. I almost turned the TV off for the first time on Saturday against North because I knew that crap we were playing wasnt going to win us the game. The game style doesn't suit our players. All we do is self destruct when the pressure gets too much and we have no functioning forward line. It even seems like the players don't care either and not giving 100%. This is the lowest ebb that I have felt as a supporter of this football club and so much wish we were a descent team.

As for Martin, didn't he extend his contract this year?
Last year I believe, 2 years. Ends 2016.

I'm heading into Brisbane for the next 2 days, but won't be able to get time to myself until around midday tomorrow. Planning to head to the club to deliver my letters personally.

Also going to use the lengthy drive to think about other productive ways I can start to raise awareness of these issues aside from annoying everyone :)

I'm good at annoying people, but ideally I'd like an opportunity for all of us to have a round table with the club and the league to start the fight to build something like passion back into the club.

I'm happy to share my phone number with anyone else who has ideas about how best we can move forward - a night's sleep has made me more determined than ever to rattle the cages of the foundation - the league, the Lions and most crucially, the people of Brisbane.

You gotta fight for your right to party :)

I have PM'd my number to TBD as admin. Just ask him for it, and he will give it out. I don't expect any filtering from the admins aside from making sure the person is a Lion's poster and a member of the site for more than 5 minutes.

Putting my number here will just ensure more of my privacy gets compromised outside of my public facebook posts from last night :)

If you wish to make contact, happy to field calls. No idea what I am going to do - walking naked thru the mall with a placard will get me on the news, but also a trip in a paddy wagon :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's quite funny reading this thread after being a Fitzroy supporter since I was 3. If you think this is bad now, I'd hate to think what some of you would have done if you supported Fitzroy.

People who took their own lives decades ago would not be posting on Bigfooty so we would not know about it today or spend much time thinking about them ...

It's quite funny reading this thread after being a Fitzroy supporter since I was 3. If you think this is bad now, I'd hate to think what some of you would have done if you supported Fitzroy.

Yep.

This current situation with the Lions is nothing compared to 1995 and 1996. In terms of football, those were indeed dark days. I felt a perpetual knot in my stomach for close to two years as the losses, negative media articles and dire financial reports piled up.

I'm heading into Brisbane for the next 2 days, but won't be able to get time to myself until around midday tomorrow. Planning to head to the club to deliver my letters personally.

Also going to use the lengthy drive to think about other productive ways I can start to raise awareness of these issues aside from annoying everyone :)

I'm good at annoying people, but ideally I'd like an opportunity for all of us to have a round table with the club and the league to start the fight to build something like passion back into the club.

I'm happy to share my phone number with anyone else who has ideas about how best we can move forward - a night's sleep has made me more determined than ever to rattle the cages of the foundation - the league, the Lions and most crucially, the people of Brisbane.

You gotta fight for your right to party :)
Have you been in touch with The Lions Roar at all? They were pretty vocal during the jumper and board kerfuffles but have gone pretty silent of late.

Or the Queensland Rugby League team for 37 years before the first State of Origin game...when everything changed beyond hope almost.

I will never forsake the Lions and when things aren't good I will cop it and look to the future.

Yep.

This current situation with the Lions is nothing compared to 1995 and 1996. In terms of football, those were indeed dark days. I felt a perpetual knot in my stomach for close to two years as the losses, negative media articles and dire financial reports piled up.

Have done something like this before,

In Fitzroys last 6 years we won 31 of 130 games,
In the 6 years between 1963 and 1968, we won 14 of 110 games.
In the 6 years between 1999 and 2004, the Lions won 106 of 150 games
In the last 6 years between 2010 and today we’ve won 40 of 126.

We used to call it character building... not sure it has a name now days?

Sad as this is going to sound, I think I feel more connection with the Lions BF community at the moment than I do with the football club. I suspect that the only reason I will renew my mebership next year is that I would feel bad coming on here if I didn't.

#imissjorgo

Have you been in touch with The Lions Roar at all? They were pretty vocal during the jumper and board kerfuffles but have gone pretty silent of late.

No mate, I haven't. And that's a great suggestion.

I'm changing tack regarding dealing with my club - was going to the Gabba today, but after talking with some friends have decided on an alternate proposal in which I will liaise with you/us/the club/everyone.

First off, I don't know anything about high performance sports management. I have no idea what the goals are when new recruits come to the club. That being said, here's the bones of it.

First off, I'm contacting Gympie Football Club to see what I need to do the volunteer on a junior level. This is a good idea put forward by others to me and, tbh, needs to be something I should do. Its about 160-180km round trip though and will cost me a bucket in fuel lol. But hey, money where ya mouth is, right? :p

Secondly, this is is bigger picture:

I live in a place called Poona. I am seven minutes by boat from Fraser Island - I can see it from my deck. I am going to work on a proposal for the club to use my property as a training base/recruit/team building environment during off season. This will be free and I am not interested in any financial recompense here - community, ya know? Boating, fishing, crabbing, camping, 4WD, bushwalks for a zillion miles. Ceebee knows where I am. I have a 3 bedroom highset Queenslander on a quarter acre. There are similar size vacant allotments on either side of me and behind me.

The community up here is about 380 people, about half of which don't actually reside here. Most folks are retirees; at 44, I am one of the younger folk. We have some young families though - and a massive influx of southerners, especially during winter months, many from Victoria. At Easter the town explodes with the annual Poona Fishing Comp and Christmas is likewise full of holiday goers. Every friday night we have community dinner and the people here are all pretty tight knit. It is the first time I have experienced anything like community in a real sense - helping others, borrowing what you need, offering what you can to the community. As an example, we had 314 people to our dawn service this year, a number which has been steady for years. Not many places in Australia would have almost an 80% turnout for ANZAC day dawn service.

The idea would be for the club to bring new recruits up here to assist in integration, along with all the relevant support staff. It can be used whenever the club would need and is something I can pursue with our local committee, who I'm confident would have zero issue.

Bring new blokes up, take them over to 75 mile beach on Fraser for example. Nowhere else in the world compares with Fraser, for those you who have been I think you'd agree. You might think beaches are all the same - they are, until you've been to Rainbow and 75 mile. Then you realise why we have something no other bastard in the world can touch :) Us > them :p

I have a facebook page run by my girl about my property here as it represents many things I believe in - self sufficiency, sustainability, environmental awareness and community. I own my house and thus need no permission from anyone else to do something like this.

I'd very much like to hear your thoughts - I'm sure it's pie in the sky, but Lennon wrote a pretty good song about dreamers. I'm happy to be a dreamer, but being a keyboard warrior here (which I have perhaps taken a LITTLE far :p) isn't working for me anymore. I need to do SOMETHING REAL.

If you think it's a rubbish idea that's ok - I'd just like to have some constructive thoughts first off. For those interested in more information, I can provide you with the facebook name of my property to view more stuff.

But, like I said - I am going to work on a proposal and present it in an inclusive and hopefully positive light to the club.

Still going to Melbourne though and will make plans to have....a sausage sizzle outside AFL House :D

You sir, are still a glorious lunatic. Must catch up next time you are in Brisbane.

(PS for context this man took me to my first AFL game). Lions v Dees sometime in 98 or 99.

No mate, I haven't. And that's a great suggestion.

I'm changing tack regarding dealing with my club - was going to the Gabba today, but after talking with some friends have decided on an alternate proposal in which I will liaise with you/us/the club/everyone.

First off, I don't know anything about high performance sports management. I have no idea what the goals are when new recruits come to the club. That being said, here's the bones of it.

First off, I'm contacting Gympie Football Club to see what I need to do the volunteer on a junior level. This is a good idea put forward by others to me and, tbh, needs to be something I should do. Its about 160-180km round trip though and will cost me a bucket in fuel lol. But hey, money where ya mouth is, right? :p

Secondly, this is is bigger picture:

I live in a place called Poona. I am seven minutes by boat from Fraser Island - I can see it from my deck. I am going to work on a proposal for the club to use my property as a training base/recruit/team building environment during off season. This will be free and I am not interested in any financial recompense here - community, ya know? Boating, fishing, crabbing, camping, 4WD, bushwalks for a zillion miles. Ceebee knows where I am. I have a 3 bedroom highset Queenslander on a quarter acre. There are similar size vacant allotments on either side of me and behind me.

The community up here is about 380 people, about half of which don't actually reside here. Most folks are retirees; at 44, I am one of the younger folk. We have some young families though - and a massive influx of southerners, especially during winter months, many from Victoria. At Easter the town explodes with the annual Poona Fishing Comp and Christmas is likewise full of holiday goers. Every friday night we have community dinner and the people here are all pretty tight knit. It is the first time I have experienced anything like community in a real sense - helping others, borrowing what you need, offering what you can to the community. As an example, we had 314 people to our dawn service this year, a number which has been steady for years. Not many places in Australia would have almost an 80% turnout for ANZAC day dawn service.

The idea would be for the club to bring new recruits up here to assist in integration, along with all the relevant support staff. It can be used whenever the club would need and is something I can pursue with our local committee, who I'm confident would have zero issue.

Bring new blokes up, take them over to 75 mile beach on Fraser for example. Nowhere else in the world compares with Fraser, for those you who have been I think you'd agree. You might think beaches are all the same - they are, until you've been to Rainbow and 75 mile. Then you realise why we have something no other bastard in the world can touch :) Us > them :p

I have a facebook page run by my girl about my property here as it represents many things I believe in - self sufficiency, sustainability, environmental awareness and community. I own my house and thus need no permission from anyone else to do something like this.

I'd very much like to hear your thoughts - I'm sure it's pie in the sky, but Lennon wrote a pretty good song about dreamers. I'm happy to be a dreamer, but being a keyboard warrior here (which I have perhaps taken a LITTLE far :p) isn't working for me anymore. I need to do SOMETHING REAL.

If you think it's a rubbish idea that's ok - I'd just like to have some constructive thoughts first off. For those interested in more information, I can provide you with the facebook name of my property to view more stuff.

But, like I said - I am going to work on a proposal and present it in an inclusive and hopefully positive light to the club.

Still going to Melbourne though and will make plans to have....a sausage sizzle outside AFL House :D
It's a crazy idea Sausages old chum, but even if it isn't official I can imagine Ryan Harwood turning up at your place unannounced.

And Bewick is an eligible bachelor who is looking for a lady who is into fishing and golf, could help if you have one of those laying around :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back