Delisted Maverick Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

Great, now can someone please direct him to the "BAD MISTAKE" tattoo removal Co.;)

Loving all his retweets this morning.

Unabashedly pumped to come to the saints.

Like it

Weller Ella Ella eh eh eh...

Although he's still fairly young, he will be ready to go for round one (if his form warrants a spot in the 22). He is physically mature and strongly built so there won't be that usual two or three year waiting period that 18 yo draftees need so they can fill out the frame. He's coming off a 27 disposal / 11 mark game in round 23 so maybe if the coaching dep't can tweak his game a bit he could be very handy from the get go.

Although he's still fairly young, he will be ready to go for round one (if his form warrants a spot in the 22). He is physically mature and strongly built so there won't be that usual two or three year waiting period that 18 yo draftees need so they can fill out the frame. He's coming off a 27 disposal / 11 mark game in round 23 so maybe if the coaching dep't can tweak his game a bit he could be very handy from the get go.
Except he can't ;)

At least as I understand things...

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/player-profile/maverick-weller

Maverick Weller hails from Burnie in Tasmania’s industrial north. He’s a supremely fit, tough, fiercely competitive and hard working midfielder. An AIS/AFL squad member, he arrived at GC after several standout performances as a 16-year old with Tasmania at the National Championships in 2009. An accurate right foot kick and an aggressive and uncompromising tackler who sports a tattoo of his ‘Top Gun’ namesake he’s equally adept playing inside or outside midfield roles. Weller was only 15 years old when he made his senior football debut for TAFL side Burnie Dockers.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1751972/delisting-no-surprise-to-weller/

Weller knew about a month ago that Sunday would be his final game as a Gold Coast Sun.

The former Burnie Docker was delisted by the club on Monday after requesting a trade due to a lack of opportunity.

The decision was confirmed in what he described as an "emotionless and blunt" review meeting.

"I don't think my skill sets were really appreciated there, so that did play a part (in my decision). I still feel like I have a lot to offer clubs, as I'm still learning the game, so I just need that opportunity.

But there is no bitterness from Weller, a pre-draft selection for the Suns as a 17-year-old and a former member of the club's leadership group. "It was the first opportunity at AFL, so I'll always be grateful for that. And I've made so many lifelong mates, which would have been the only reason I would have stayed. But it is a career decision, and I've got to look out for myself."

"The club that will get me will be the club that wants me, and that's exciting for me, as I want to play for someone who wants me there."

The 49th pick in the 2010 draft managed just three this year, after starting the season under club suspension due to drink driving.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-28/weller-sweet-on-saints

Maverick Weller wants to join St Kilda.

The 21-year-old, who was delisted by the Suns after playing 32 games in three seasons, revealed he has spoken to "half a dozen" clubs, most of them in Melbourne, and was optimistic about becoming a Saint.

Weller was one of the inaugural Suns, joining the club as a 17-year-old access selection in 2010.

Although he played just four games this season due to form and injury issues, the Tasmanian believes his game continued to develop.

"This year wasn't that good of a year for me, but I feel like when I was playing I was a lot more confident in my ability, I saw the game a lot better, but I just couldn’t get out on the park,"

"I played a really good game (in) my last game for the club against GWS (in round 23), probably my best game for the club." In that match, Weller gathered a career-high 27 disposals.

He described himself as "a grunt player" with leadership skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seems a good player & person.

Got a bit of history, so I think he's a work-in-progress with the second part of your comment.

I did like these comments from his manager :
"The Saints haven't confirmed they'll pick him up, but they definitely like him. He was there for 2 1/2 weeks and didn't miss a session. He earned the club's respect with his professionalism. [St Kilda] just need a few things to fall their way for them and they will select him.''

ddaa7bb225d43b9e5206ea792a915ca0.jpeg

Mav's twitter picture. :p

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/1937179/maverick-wellers-second-chance-at-afl/?cs=88

Weller "I'm rapt - it's a real sense of relief. I've been really good up until today, then the nerves started to kick in, but I'm really looking forward to settling down in Melbourne, training hard and putting my best foot forward.''

"(St Kilda) were really good and honest with me the whole time. It's great for both parties that it's worked out the way it has, and the club has had a really good trade and draft period - it's really exciting times.''

"I've known Eli his whole life - our parents are really good friends and Peter [Templeton] and my old man Darren played footy together. It will be good to be able to keep each other company and be able to take him under my wing in a sense."

(going very early here!!!) "A lot of people have been hanging a fair bit of stuff on St Kilda, but they have come out the other end and a lot are eating their words. It's really exciting now.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-in-rookie-draft/story-fngeflq8-1226769935997

Weller spent his weeks in the football wilderness taking a hammering in the boxing gym, (completing) seven boxing sessions a week and consulted a mental skills coach, former NRL player Mark Edmondson.

"It has definitely held me in good stead ... it's good having someone there, everyone has mentors to talk to and he (Edmondson) really helped me out. I was able to do some good sessions and put some steps in place, which is exciting for me."

"There's a lot of guys that are my age and under at the club, so it's a great opportunity for me, after four or five years (AFL) experience, to help start something special with those guys."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back