Wellingham's Pull Out:Most Cringeworthy GF Moment Ever?

Wellinghaaaaaaaaaaam

• Most cringeworthy GF moment ever?

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Not the most cringeworthy GF moment ever?

Votes: 31 66.0%

• Total voters

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Today with a sober head looking at the Wellingham pull out, I have to say it's one of the softest efforts I've ever seen from an experienced League player in a GF.

This crucial moment in the 3qrt when WC were only 24 odd points down, allowed Gunston to take a easy chest mark and then bang through another one to effectively sink the hearts of all Eagles players.

There's GF brain fades and mistakes that make you look stupid like Josh Hill v Lake...Reiwoldt v Shaw etc..but a blatant pull out at halfback when you actually look behind and decide that you're not going to risk some knees in your back and step out of the way is unforgivable.

The sort of 'lowlight' that will haunt Wellingham for the rest of his life.

I doubt there is a worse example in GF history of committing this ultimate sin in footy.

Or is there?

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Yeah stuff ups and brain fade decisions one can live with, but pulling out of a run of the mill marking contest..as a backline player..is bad.

If you watch as much local footy as I do you'd know that still to this day, at all levels in senior footy, if you look back at oncoming traffic while ball is coming through the air, step away and let an opposition player take a mark, it's pretty much the worst thing a teammate can do on the field.

Especially in a Grand Final.

ThatsjustDappa

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
The one thing Eagles fans said to me afterwards was the lack of toughness on the ground collectively. This was one example.

Yep, was really noticeable and horrible to watch as WC has been a tough contested team through the season. Though to be fair a good number of previous GFs seem to have one side squibbing it, the sense of occasion seems overwhelming and hence the entertainment value....

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Was shattering because he has put his body on the line every single time this year when he has needed to. He took it to Hodge with a great a contest early in the game yesterday that signalled the boys at least had turned up switched on.

The improvement in his game this year has been remarkable and at a crucial point in a GF had a moment that he will look back on with regret.

That incident aside I thought he was one of our better players yesterday. Was under some enormous pressure and kept going and going.

I hate seeing players do well but make one really bad mistake. Shuey was the same yesterday. Close to our BOG but made two very very bad errors at bad times.

I vaguely remember Harry Taylor having a brown pants moment in the 2008 Grand Final but don't really remember the details....

Back