Wells talking faith @ Williamstown 27 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 29, 2008
North Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi

I hope this is the appropriate forum. Mods, please delete if necessary!
I received this via my wife's work and thought I would pass it on in case any North supporters were interested in getting a deeper insight into what makes Daniel Wells tick inside his head.

Cheers.

Tomorrow evening, [ Wednesday 27th May ] the Westgate Catholic Deanery Social Justice Group will be holding an Indigenous evening - as part of reconciliation week.
One of the speakers will be North Melbourne AFL player ( read LEGEND if you support the Kangaroos) Daniel Wells. Daniel is a young aboriginal man and a parishioner at St Mary's Church Williamstown. Daniel is a recent convert to Catholicism, and will talk candidly about his faith journey. This is his first time to speak in public on such a topic, so a large, supportive crowd is called for.
St Mary's Parish Centre, Cecil Street Williamstown. 7.30pm - 9.00pm - (Further details on attached flyer)
You are invited to attend this evening and to asked to promote around your school community. Open to all - ALL WELCOME

The flyer was quite big so I haven't copied it, but it is probably worth noting that there are three speakers listed, and Wells is the second one...
[FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]Speakers:[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]​

[/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]Colleen Marion
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic], [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]CEO Western Suburbs Indigenous Gathering Place[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]
[/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]Daniel Wells

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic], [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]Parishioner St Mary[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]s Williamstown (North Melbourne Footballer)[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]
[/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]Fr Ian Ranson[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic], [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]Westgate Deanery Co-ordinator, PP Laverton Parish[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=ComicSansMS,BoldItalic]
[/FONT]

The Westgate Deanery, eh?

"Yeah, nah, look. Jesus was good today. He once kicked five goals on Cooney and you mob have the nerve to crucify him. His Dad played for North and he grew up supporting us. He's young and, um, we're not expecting any miracles".

Hehehe, good one Filth, especially given Deanery's nickname of "the Bible"!

Anyway, I went along with my wife, and my two kids wearing their North scarves. I was wondering whether the scarves were going to be appropriate but they were actually a good ice-breaker. One of the earlier speakers, Fr Ian Ranson, felt he was compelled to outline his North credentials, so despite being a Bombers fan, in the old days he said he used to do some work with the Northerners at Arden St. He said this was in the days Ron Barassi was coach and would have a glass of coke whilst gathering his thoughts. I got talking to the elderly lady next to me, her name was Mary and was she was very bubbly, and then later one of the hosts said we have Mary Martyn in the audience, and that her son used to play for North, and she piped up and said her husband did as well. That's when I realised the lovely old lady I had been having a conversation with was Mick Martyn's mum! Later when Mary realised my family were North members she proudly whipped out her keys that had a nice big old wooden North kangaroo on the keyring:)
Daniel Wells was there with his wife and baby daughter. He was naturally a bit nervous so had written down his talk and read it out. He talked about his childhood and later, and how from an early age he had a strong sense of right from wrong, and managed to stay out of trouble despite the environment. He loves football and the opportunities it has given him. He talked about his faith etc, but I probably can't do that justice, suffice to say that he came across as such a level-headed, genuine nice person, and when answering a question from a parent in the audience, Daniel emphasised that the best way to encourage the faith was to set a good example in your life, not by trying to convince anyone. Another audience member (perhaps 50 in the audience?) suggested Daniel would be welcome at the Bulldogs anytime. Daniel jokingly scoffed at that and made it very clear that he loved North and wasn't going anywhere:thumbsu:. Interestingly Daniel has a younger brother who was there, and I asked him whether he was into footy, and he replied he was, so look out for another Wells in the future hopefully. After the talks we went up and thanked Daniel, and he pepped up when we said we were members and would be cheering him on against Brisbane. He jokingly suggested he would probably see us in the crowd given the likely crowd size. Well, that's about it...it just reinforced what a really nice bloke Daniel Wells is, and I got to speak to Mick Martyn's mum!

Cheers,
North in Melbourne.

Even though I'm a practicing Satanist, that was an enjoyable read North in Melbourne. Thanks for the report.:thumbsu:

Yeah I've had the pleasure to have a chat with Daniel Wells. Forget Football and the NMFC. I very nice bloke indeed.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back