Weren't we going to see player's names on the back of their guernseys???

Remove this Banner Ad

People complaining about the inability to read the names are silly.

You can't make out sponsor logos during the action but companies still pay big coin to have their logos on the guernseys. Why do you think that is?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Because their logos are still in all the pictures/media coverage.

Because their logos are still in all the pictures/media coverage.

Yep, and on the guernseys that get bought and worn by fans. No different to this.

Obvious you can't easily read the names during the play in any sport with names on shirts. That's not the idea.

OMG. Your so mean. Do you like, mean on bigfooty? Or like, the whole internet. Im like, literally dying of embarrassment...

No need to crack the sads mate.

We all make mistakes.

Nice ninja edit.

I'm well aware it's use has changed,

Thst doesn't mean it is correct, it just shows there are a lot more stupid people about
You're wrong and now you're embarrassing yourself.

Yep, and on the guernseys that get bought and worn by fans. No different to this.

Obvious you can't easily read the names during the play in any sport with names on shirts. That's not the idea.

The idea is to bleed more money from fans if they want names on the back of the jumpers.

Nothing more, nothing less.

The idea is to bleed more money from fans if they want names on the back of the jumpers.

Nothing more, nothing less.

That's funny because this thread is full of people sooking because they couldn't read the names on an SD broadcast during the play.

As if that was ever an issue for the AFL.

My point that you can't read the sponsors either shows just how laughable complaining about readability is.

That's funny because this thread is full of people sooking because they couldn't read the names on an SD broadcast during the play.

My point that you can't read the sponsors either shows just how laughable complaining about readability is.

Comparing the sponsors to the players names is ridiculous.

It's non-sensical.

The small sponsors logo on a jumper does not make up the bulk of exposure a company gets from being associated with a club.

Those small logos get more exposure when a a photo of a player appears in a paper than it will during a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the sponsors are mostly there for media (photo-shoots, press conferences, etc.), the names were apparently brought in for fans to read (which is complete bs).

Comparing the sponsors to the players names is ridiculous.

It's non-sensical.

The small sponsors logo on a jumper does not make up the bulk of exposure a company gets from being associated with a club.

Those small logos get more exposure when a a photo of a player appears in a paper than it will during a game.

And the names will get more exposure when named guernseys are littered throughout the crowd and in close up shots etc.p

I'm only comparing the names to the sponsors in terms of readibility. Neither can be read during the game. Fortunately, it doesn't really make a difference whether they can be read during a game or not. They both generate extra revenue.

But the sponsors are mostly there for media (photo-shoots, press conferences, etc.), the names were apparently brought in for fans to read (which is complete bs).

The names are entirely for marketing purposes and nobody honestly believes otherwise.

You sure? Ok

They look stupid
They are not neccesary
They provide nothing at all

Most laughable is that they have been implemented by the afl, for the tv audience, yet they still allow SD broadcasts
1. Disagree
2. Really? I've had my name for five decades. I use it every day and find it quite useful to let others know it. Helps them to know who I am.
3. See point 2.
4. Maybe see an optometrist. At any close-up shot, I know I'm going to be able to read players' names.

I thought they looked OK close up. As someone stated earlier, this was a trial round for them so I guess they will wait for the feedback and go from there

Pointless. **** the back sponsor off, drop the number down and make the name bigger.

Or in reality, keep it as it was.
This - I was in the camp of "Happy to try it and see how it goes".

If the point is to help with player identification, then it's not that successful on the TV. Unlike the NFL, we have a much faster moving game with fewer stoppage times where players are standing still, meaning theres less chance to actually see the names close enough to read.

If the names were bigger, it might be more useful. Ill also be going to a game live on Sunday - I'm interested to know if its any better live (might depend where we sit).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back