Werribee v Box Hill @ Werribee Sat 7 Apr 7pm

Brilliant report! Grimley and lowden if they played... Cheers!
Disapointing again ......:( Broc's spot is safe for another week .
Allowing Wang to move higher up the ground has shown he is not a one trick ponnie .
Tommy is in fact really start'n to press for selection , really work'n too his streanths now (his work by hand ) and is really starting to cover alot of gound , i for one didnt think he had a tank too play AFL ..think i was wrong ....:thumbsu:
Murphy is playing as if he see's the writing on the wall and has spat the dummy.
Love Langers although he plays a role that we have plenty of deapth in and im not sure when he will get his chance ???
Thought Patto was solid for us .

smithy_9

Senior List
May 1, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Steelers,Sharks,36ers
We have very solid depth for Guerra or Sucklings position in Cheyney, of he is required during the year or finals we can be very confident he will do the job. Clean with the ball, strong in the contest and reasonable overhead.

Just got to love Langford he is so hard at the footy, once again if someone like Birchall went down he would be a good replacement.

The young rucks Lowden and Grimely seem a long way off on terms of ruck work. Grimely does a couple of nice things around the ground and Lowden can take a catch up forward.

Was very impressed with Wanganeen looks to have bulked up a fair bit and is awesome in traffic. Got caught high a few times with Selwoodesque ducking tactics. Once again I think he could be good back up for Cyril, Bruest, Osbourne type.

Murphy and Bruce who I'm not usually super critical of are playing as if they are trying to justify every bad thing ever said about them on bigfooty. Murphy does a lot of pointing but that's about it. Feel sorry for the blokes on the end of Bruces hospital hand passes he will get someone killed one day.

Shiels and Schneider got a lot of footy in tight. When Shiels got it often he just chucked it on his boot and kicked to no one. Still a good game for Shiels on close. Schneider was good too with 3 goals.

Young got a fair bit of the footy but often cos he is the go to man for long kicks. But honestly sometimes it doesn't even look like he's aiming for anyone just trying to kick it as far as possible. Needs to realise not every kick needs to go 70 maybe just hit up a 50-60 team mate target.

Thank you to all who attended the game and posted. I appreciate all your insights. I note we outscored Werribee 5.3 to 1.3 in the 1st 1/4 and 5.2 to 1.2 in the 2nd 1/4 and Werribee outscored us 2.3 to 2.2 in the 3rd 1/4 and 3.5 to 2.4 in the last quarter. My question is did we play a more offensive game style in the first half and then change to a more defensive game style in the last half. I still have nightmares when I think about how we gifted Collingwood the PF last year due to the fact that we had no forward structure for the vast majority of the last quarter.

The VFL site notes Brad Hill didn't play which indicates he will be the spare player for Monday if a last minute replacement is required.

Thank you to all who attended the game and posted. I appreciate all your insights. I note we outscored Werribee 5.3 to 1.3 in the 1st 1/4 and 5.2 to 1.2 in the 2nd 1/4 and Werribee outscored us 2.3 to 2.2 in the 3rd 1/4 and 3.5 to 2.4 in the last quarter. My question is did we play a more offensive game style in the first half and then change to a more defensive game style in the last half. I still have nightmares when I think about how we gifted Collingwood the PF last year due to the fact that we had no forward structure for the vast majority of the last quarter.

The VFL site notes Brad Hill didn't play which indicates he will be the spare player for Monday if a last minute replacement is required.

A running type wingman perhap's ....:cool:

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Boys on the radio gave Wanganeen best. From what I heard, sounded like other good players were Schneider (36 poss, 3 goals), Lock, Cheney, Pattison, Lowden, Young and Bruce.

Nice to see Wanga, Lowden, Cheney and Schneider in the best.

Guys like Patto, Young and Bruce should be playing above that level anyway.

Great stuff guys we have the best write up of VFL games in bigfooty. Kudos to everyone for making it down there. thanks for the reports SLB, HBD and others. Great to get a win at werribee a place we haven't won at for 20 years. I look forward to our first home game next week and the reigning permier Port see you all there :thumbsu:

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Schnieder is impressive. However, he is a rookie, and cannot play unless someone is elevated to the LTI which fingers crossed does not happen. Further, who will he replace?

He could at least replace Cam Bruce.

We don't need him to be a star player, he just has to be a first 22 type player. In his first season he wouldn't need to be that, just play him on potential.

Senior List
Oct 6, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Great write-ups. Always nice to read the reports.

Looking forward to Box Hill's first home game next week.

Went along last night with a mate. First VFL game in a long time. Box Hill was impressive. Too impressive coz apart from Daw/Pratt show the sting was taken out of it early. Thoughts on hawks players.
Cheney. Not spectacular but didn't put a foot wrong
Murphy. Some horror mistakes early but played a reasonable game in the end
Young. Class above. Kicked a super snap on his right from the boundary that no one has mentioned. Can't believe the criticism he got from you guys.
Shiels. Workmanlike
Langford. Looks like a real player of the future
Bruce. Good game but lacks zip
Boumann. Will be a handy back up option- athletic
Wanganeen has pace - plenty to work with

There was definitely more Hawthorn depth on display than North
Hope that was useful

I would say they outscored us because bhh took the foot off the pedal and slowed the game down. Also a lack of a KPF was a factor.

yes Hill didn't play. Was there but in casuals and the walk of a confident man.

smithy_9

Senior List
May 1, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Steelers,Sharks,36ers
Went along last night with a mate. First VFL game in a long time. Box Hill was impressive. Too impressive coz apart from Daw/Pratt show the sting was taken out of it early. Thoughts on hawks players.
Young. Class above. Kicked a super snap on his right from the boundary that no one has mentioned. Can't believe the criticism he got from you guys.
Shiels. Workmanlike

Hope that was useful

The even more impressive thing about the young goal was it was even on his right foot. Was a cracker goal. One thing I also noticed is Young starting in at the centre bounces where he didnt look completely out of place. If he can improve his hardness at the footy and his exuction by foot he may find his way back in the Hawks best 22. He isn't that far off just a few little things to fix up then hes good to go.

Shiels. Workmanlike

Hope that was useful

Thanks always great to hear a neutral view to weigh it up.

Hodgepodge: I agree Schnieder is a talent but as you know he can't just replace Bruce, as a rookie, to get a game I think up to Rd 11 someone needs to go on the LTI, of which Bruce is not and fingers crossed no one else does.

The thing about Schnieder is that, over the last 12 months, his body has changed considerably to be able to increase his endurance. For me he is taking a similar path to his mentor...Sam Mitchell, big thumps up on his progress, the fact that he is perceived as wasting it does not worry me, the fact that he is winning the ball 36 times shows that we have something to work with.:thumbsu:

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hope that was useful
Thanks heaps for your views on our players mate, good read.

But just on North's depth, don't they split between Werribee and Nth Ballarat?

Senior List
Oct 6, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Thanks heaps for your views on our players mate, good read.

But just on North's depth, don't they split between Werribee and Nth Ballarat?

You may be correct there. If hawthorn win tomorrow and we win next Friday we will both have a 2 game break on last year's grand finalists. Interesting.

You may be correct there. If hawthorn win tomorrow and we win next Friday we will both have a 2 game break on last year's grand finalists. Interesting.
The only difference is we would have beaten the 2011 Grand Finalists whereas Carlton would have beaten a team known for mediocrity and a bottom 4 side with 2 less days break leading into the game.

Senior List
Oct 6, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
The only difference is we would have beaten the 2011 Grand Finalists whereas Carlton would have beaten a team known for mediocrity and a bottom 4 side with 2 less days break leading into the game.
And Collingwood. I agree your scalps would have been bigger but I'm just saying to have a two game break would be a great start for both our clubs.

Roughies Boys

Cancelled
Nov 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll be honest, I wasn't really watching them and I believe there numbers were 39 and 35 I so i found it hard to decipher who was who under the lights. Lowden did take a good, strong contested mark at the 27min mark of the last quarter about 15m out. He was wresting with his opponent and got rid of them impressively and took virtually an uncontested (although it'll be marked as a contested mark) 15m out, directly in front. I say uncontested because the Werribee player was thrown to the ground.

...Lowden went on to miss the goal. Ugly looking set shot action. :thumbsdown:

I dunno why North supporters are calling for Daw to be playing? He's a long way off AFL level at this point in time. He's very athletic but doesn't convincingly win too many ruck contests. Grimley was matching him athletically and was also using his athleticism around the ground to make contests and trying to win the ball in the air. Daw on the otherhand wasn't as much.

It's a brainer, HP. He gets plenty of it but doesn't hurt the opposition with it. Like I said he's dangerous in the forward line during ruck contest situation, but elsewhere around the ground he doesn't have all that big of an impact.

Similar to a young Dane Swan in that you'd leave a game thinking "Swan didn't seem to get a whole lot of it" then you read the stat sheet and he was pushing 40 possessions.

With Schnieder you leave thinking "he had a lot of it" but you're also wondering what he did that was damaging. I'd like to see him again because I feel he's not active with the ball. By that I mean he doesn't run with it all that much due to being slow.

Put it this way, he's no walk up start with Hawthorn while we're a top 4 side pushing for a premiership.

Cheney was far more damaging with the ball. Long kicks or direct kicks from the half back line finding open players in a potentially dangerous position combined with plenty of run with the ball.

Probably because he was in great form last year! =D

Back