2nds West Adelaide vs Port Adelaide - Round 11 @ Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Played Fullback for 3 quarters and went fwd in the last apparently.

I'd heard he was injured, but appears not then. We were smashed in ruck.

lol Adam Hartlett raced into the rooms to like the SANFL status on facebook of them winning.
what do you expect, the bloke is clearly a nazi

14477555284_a4170697e2_z.jpg

from SANFL website
Goal Kickers: M. Shaw 3, R. Young 2, B. Haren , M. Harvey , J. Butcher , B. Sawford , D. Butcher , J. Neade , B. Newton
Best Players: B. Newton, M. Harvey, B. Ah Chee, R. Young, M. Shaw, S. Summerton

coaching group send these through correct?

from SANFL website
Goal Kickers: M. Shaw 3, R. Young 2, B. Haren , M. Harvey , J. Butcher , B. Sawford , D. Butcher , J. Neade , B. Newton

Personally, Young the standout, Newton good with the footy in hand, Neade lively but kicking was atrocious, Tommy Gray good early, DBJ good all day. Summerton down, Rucks smashed and our centre square set up was shot without an anchor onballer (strong stationary defensive midfielder at the stoppage)

from SANFL website

I should hope not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasnt Russell had 9 touches in 2 weeks or something like that? He must be doing a far better job in person then i guess given his horrendous stats.
See dreamteam has killed football, Michael Wilson was a terrible dreamteamer but a sensational footballer! Russell's build for an underager is something needed to be seen, as an 18 year old he may yet grow a few more inches, his speed for his size is also very impressive. He crashed a few packs yesterday, didn't shirk the physical stuff and looked to be team orientated first and foremost. If he could grow to 6'0-6'2, with his frame and speed a second Ollie may be sitting waiting for us.

Don't be disillusioned by raw stats alone, sometimes Premierships are won by teams that loose the kick count, Mark count and miss all their set KPI's.

who is the magpies ruck now? any under agers we can throw in?
Id rather get smashed in the ruck with someone who isnt trying to be groomed as a forward
I'd prefer if Haren or Bruggemann went in the ruck

I like Mason's goal kicking routine. Minimal scope for error as he virtually short passes it thru.
By the way if there were 1600 there yesterday I'll eat my hat. More like a thousand. That fancy
LED scoreboard had a bad habit of blacking out too.
Bottom line Westies too good on the day. Congratz

I like Mason's goal kicking routine. Minimal scope for error as he virtually short passes it thru.
By the way if there were 1600 there yesterday I'll eat my hat. More like a thousand. That fancy
LED scoreboard had a bad habit of blacking out too.
Bottom line Westies too good on the day. Congratz

We better pack out the Essendon game so they can afford to get it fixed :rolleyes:

Always loomed as a danger game. In fact, the odds would've favored a few to make an easy penny.

Yesterday's observations...
  • Mason Shaw has improved 'x plenty' since his game at Prospect. Clunking marks, kicking straight, working hard. IMO, now sits ahead of Butcher for selection.
  • Summo worked hard and in particular his one percenters kept us in the match (many smothers)
  • Ben Newton had some excellent clearances
  • DBJ decision making excites me as does Mitch Harvey's goal kicking (...mostly)
  • Qtr time: An old bloke made an excellent comment RE: The Crows "They're bounded together by two things: Money and Hate" Thoroughly enjoyed his input
  • West Adelaide's new goal posts don't enjoy a strong breeze; Happy Cockatoo-Collins wasn't playing. Could've had quite an incident. In fact, may have wiped out the whole West Adelaide cheersqua.....oh...wait....
  • Probably the loudest our supporters have been at a 3 qtr time huddle for quite a while. It's been pretty quiet this season. It's good to see that we HATE losing again!
  • Parked behind the northern goals and walked straight in. No charge for carpark, no-one there to clip my season ticket, straight through. And then they turn around and tell PAFC that we're costing them money....interesting.

if we loose a game or two before the end of the home and away it will sink the Redlegs push to have us give up more at the end of the season (like playing home games at Alberton)

I tend to think it is an example of exactly what Norwood are wanting, and the others, for us to be totally disadvantaged and playing all our games away in order to lose more games like we did against West and Norwood. Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

An appalling game from the Magpies. Skill execution and decision making was awful and not enough mature leaders out there. That's another disadvantage we'll have year by year, maturity lacking as we'll always be a young side but still nothing excuses poor skills and decision making. Need to respond next week, big game.

That result has been on the cards for some weeks and to be honest I would not have been surprised if we had dropped a game or two over the past 3 weeks. The Port Magpies are suffering with injuries to the Power listed players and to the top up players. We have lost Redden, Colquhoun, Renouf, for the season and have Flynn and Slattery suspended and on top of that Paul Stewart is also injured while Sam Gray and Tom Logan got a call up to replace Hartlett and Impey.

it is not simply the number of players that are missing but the type of player. Logan, Stewart and Gray are all playmakers in the SANFL and if they miss we loose a lot in the engine room.

As I have posted before that is the nature of a Reserves side and at times the strength of the Port Magpies will fluctuate from week to week. Hopefully Cassisi, Hartlett and Impey will be fit this week and the Port Magpies strength will increase.

Last edited:
This loss and potentially any further losses will pose an interesting situation for the AFL team. The first week of SANFL finals coincides with Round 23 of the AFL season. Would we prefer to go into the AFL finals with the Magpies having played the previous week, or would the bye in the first week of the SANFL finals (should we finish top in the SANFL) be a non-issue, or even beneficial?

This loss and potentially any further losses will pose an interesting situation for the AFL team. The first week of SANFL finals coincides with Round 23 of the AFL season. Would we prefer to go into the AFL finals with the Magpies having played the previous week, or would the bye in the first week of the SANFL finals (should we finish top in the SANFL) be a non-issue, or even beneficial?
Great question.
Firstly, I'm pumped that our footy club is having to deal with such delicate matters. It is, in it's truest form, a football club.
I think we'll go out there to win anything and everything we can. However, as with any great club, A-Grade should always be prioritised. Reserve and underage premierships may be building blocks towards a strong culture but A-grade premierships is what a club is ultimately renowned for.
I don't think we'll take any drastic measures to ensure fitness. I think they'll want to keep players 'on the edge' rather than rest individuals. E.g. If Paul Stewart is on the fringe, he'll play for the Maggies regardless. I think Shiels played in both premierships for Hawthorn last year.
The dream is well and truly alive for a Magpies/Power double. I strongly believe the players, staff and supporters would LOVE to see that happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back