West Coast Eagles vs Hawthorn Hawks QF - Identifying The Road To Victory

Remove this Banner Ad

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Now that we've reached the end of the round, and barring any HUGE upsets in the final week of the H/A season, its fairly safe to assume that the first lot of finals for the Top 4 will be:

Freo vs Swans - Subiaco
WCE vs Hawks - Subiaco

In light of this information, how do we go about beating Hawthorn over here? As our game will likely be held on the Friday night we will be coming off two 6-day breaks, while the Hawks will have faced one. No doubt we will be up against it, but a win here will give us a massive chance to get to the Grand Final.

So, what do we need to do to roll Hawthorn? Obviously we boast the better ruck division, but I expect that they will concede this area of the game to us and try to shark NicNat's taps as best they can. With any luck we will be able to add Wellingham, Butler, McGovern (who I imagine will be rested for the Saints game) and Schofield to our defence, but do they have the moxie to be able to take on the Hawks forward line? For me, the key will be to get off to a blitzkreig start and then just grind the game out - I dont think a shootout will be in or favour, as it could have a detrimental psychological effect to our side (due to lack of finals experience).

If you were Simmo, what would you be doing?

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If it gets to Sunday and Hawks/Swans both win their games, we could just consider tanking to the Saints so we finish fourth and play the Dorkers instead...

Apr 18, 2006
Perth
our main advantage is not having to travel.

We want to hit the QF with some momentum though - dont want to be down on confidence and bringing players in who are rusty.

So I fully expect Selwood to play, and likely McGovern if he can't risk further damage to the AC joint and he pulls up well.

Rest guys like Shep who may be sore or carrying a niggle.

They earnt that ticket!!
I feel like they've kind of cruised into the spot over the second half of the season. Definitely not the in form team heading into finals and I hope they trip over at the final hurdle again.

Hardhat11

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I like the fact we don't have to travel ....home cooking ...home umpiring .....

I like our chances with Wellingham, Schofield and Masten back in ....

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
long ago in the museum with his friends
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I'm not gona lie...I'm scared.
vipklick-owen-wilson.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
If we lose to St Kilda will could be 4th and playing at "Home" against Freo
Either way we have 2 home finals
Was looking at the ladder earlier. Gold Coast might roll Sydney like how Richmond rolled them last year if they have 4th in the bag come the start of their game. Richmond game is the night before so Sydney will know if Richmond could overtake them; the dogs game finishes an hour before their game starts also, same scenario. Not saying it will happen but, still something to think about.

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
If we lose to St Kilda will could be 4th and playing at "Home" against Freo
Either way we have 2 home finals

That would genuinely be a neutral game. Remember the AFL control ticketing for finals. No priority for one team over another. But I'd hate to go into the finals off 2 consecutive losses.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Now that we've reached the end of the round, and barring any HUGE upsets in the final week of the H/A season, its fairly safe to assume that the first lot of finals for the Top 4 will be:

Freo vs Swans - Subiaco
WCE vs Hawks - Subiaco

In light of this information, how do we go about beating Hawthorn over here? As our game will likely be held on the Friday night we will be coming off two 6-day breaks, while the Hawks will have faced one. No doubt we will be up against it, but a win here will give us a massive chance to get to the Grand Final.

So, what do we need to do to roll Hawthorn? Obviously we boast the better ruck division, but I expect that they will concede this area of the game to us and try to shark NicNat's taps as best they can. With any luck we will be able to add Wellingham, Butler, McGovern (who I imagine will be rested for the Saints game) and Schofield to our defence, but do they have the moxie to be able to take on the Hawks forward line? For me, the key will be to get off to a blitzkreig start and then just grind the game out - I dont think a shootout will be in or favour, as it could have a detrimental psychological effect to our side (due to lack of finals experience).

Both finals will be on a SAT .

I think 5 v 8 will be Friday night and 6 v 7 on the Sunday.

sey666

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Freo vs Swans - Subiaco
WCE vs Hawks - Subiaco

I would make sure we get the job done against the Saints next week.

No disrespect intended but it is still too early; We can't afford to get too far ahead of ourselves if we really want to finish top 2 -think that is what happened to us today and to Geelong on Friday.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Freo vs Swans - Subiaco
WCE vs Hawks - Subiaco

Are we thinking that the Hawks would not deliberately drop the r23 game to avoid the WCE as they might have a higher chance to beat the Dockers!?

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I would make sure we get the job done against the Saints next week.

No disrespect intended but it is still too early; We can't afford to get too far ahead of ourselves if we really want to finish top 2 -think that is what happened to us today and to Geelong on Friday.
Why not?
We aren't the ones running out there we are fans ffs
Whats next, the fans saying "yeh we are just going to take it one week at a time"

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Why not?
We aren't the ones running out there we are fans ffs
Whats next, the fans saying "yeh we are just going to take it one week at a time"
Because some wce players look at this site. So we need to keep it down. That's why people like e2006 says things like "were s**t". Cause if they read it then they get the message

Freo have a golden ticket into the GF.
All due respect thorne89 but f*ck Fremantle.

Couldn't give two shits what they do. BEst of luck to them but I couldndt give a s**t if they fell into the GF.

I'm focused on our club, a club that has defied the odds all season and will give it's all for a 4th flag.

We'll give the Hawks a RED HOT go that first week, NN will be HUGE. With him AND Sinclair destroying the Hawks poor ruck set up and NN wielding a massive influence on the contest, we will show the AFL world what we stand for.

I can't ******* wait. BRING IT ON

I BELIEVE

Back