Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

i know its hard to say or agree but the umpiring of MDSE is not as good and dont get me wrong WBFL is not perfect. WBFL has goal umpires and boundary umpires,MDSE has kids from the clubs and volunteers that do goals. to improve the standard of the game the umpires must be of a good standard and MDSE will not get better until the umpires do. so WBFL needs to help get the MDSE up. look if both leagues merg WBFL would dominate for a while as did penola when they went to KNTFL then they went down and now have just got back to the top. Robe and hatherleigh merg , kdoo and nangas merg, millicent and tant merg and west and east merg. this can leave 1 competition with the rest. If something is not done in next 2 yrs then we are in, trouble is money is not a available as it once was and clubs are struggling and its no good having money if you cant get players as heywood found out. if a couple of clubs fall over then we are in trouble in both Leagues.

i know its hard to say or agree but the umpiring of MDSE is not as good and dont get me wrong WBFL is not perfect. WBFL has goal umpires and boundary umpires,MDSE has kids from the clubs and volunteers that do goals. to improve the standard of the game the umpires must be of a good standard and MDSE will not get better until the umpires do. so WBFL needs to help get the MDSE up. look if both leagues merg WBFL would dominate for a while as did penola when they went to KNTFL then they went down and now have just got back to the top. Robe and hatherleigh merg , kdoo and nangas merg, millicent and tant merg and west and east merg. this can leave 1 competition with the rest. If something is not done in next 2 yrs then we are in, trouble is money is not a available as it once was and clubs are struggling and its no good having money if you cant get players as heywood found out. if a couple of clubs fall over then we are in trouble in both Leagues.

You are spot on - but who can make the call and will clubs abide? - too many blinkered views - that already got us to this situation, but instead of 2 clubs merging you are looking at 4-5, it is going to be difficult. It would make sense for their to be two leagues KTNFL & SEFL, but it needs to be initiated by SACFL and managed by them and i'm not sure they are up to it.

Why on earth would east and west need to merge??? Mount Gambier is big enough to support 4 clubs. My understanding is that their is a commission being out in place to deal with these issues.
Any updates on the commission???

the commission is not worth the paper its written on. The commisson that runs country footy does not have any money to help leagues out with mergers etc. VCFL did have money and gave hamilton 50k. its not about mt gambier supporting 4 teams it about the money they generate to help keep players North get 100 k from their pokie lease and what do the others get ? nothing as they rely on the few to help get money flowing. EAst and West both had and may still have money troubles. drink driving laws etc have killed footy. change is coming and if its not embraced then footy will die, soccers is struggling along with cricket and tennis. the 2 leagues must work together before its to late.

All Mount Clubs start with about 100 u12. So it's over 400 u12s playing Aussie rules in the Mount. So no problem there. Not sure Aussie Rules is dying. North is the problem at the moment with such strong finances but 2 premierships in umpteen years isn't such a problem at this stage.

All Mount Clubs start with about 100 u12. So it's over 400 u12s playing Aussie rules in the Mount. So no problem there. Not sure Aussie Rules is dying. North is the problem at the moment with such strong finances but 2 premierships in umpteen years isn't such a problem at this stage.
North have won the last two - that's a huge problem going forward - financially they have an advantage which should see them win the next.....pick a number in a row. WW has probably gone a bit over the top but his concepts are sound. How do you dismantle North?

boston tiger your point first. it take 100 u/12 to make 20 u/15 that is the problem. yes we can say that juniors are good but infact there not .as we need atleast 30 to go thru to u/15 and that will allow the u/17.5 to field a team of 20 after they finish u/15. why we do not know? maybe part time work or parent dont care and they give up.

western roy boy: money does not always buy a premiership but it helps for a club to survive. money is tightening every thing up and clubs that can pay will survive those who cant will die, thats why i fear for west , east and possibly south. MDSE clubs are heading that way as well.

boston tiger your point first. it take 100 u/12 to make 20 u/15 that is the problem. yes we can say that juniors are good but infact there not .as we need atleast 30 to go thru to u/15 and that will allow the u/17.5 to field a team of 20 after they finish u/15. why we do not know? maybe part time work or parent dont care and they give up.

western roy boy: money does not always buy a premiership but it helps for a club to survive. money is tightening every thing up and clubs that can pay will survive those who cant will die, thats why i fear for west , east and possibly south. MDSE clubs are heading that way as well.

I think the junior situation has improved since the big Vic clubs have gone with absolute domination of the u18 comp.

Don't know too much about the u17 comp and who's struggling for numbers but gee it use to be hard to round up under 18 players that weren't just in it for the piss and just got flogged by the 2 Hamiltons and Portland. Was not good for football

North being financially sound may be able to bring in a couple of marque players each year certainly mean they will be there abouts but could get a local backlash and once that happens you are in strife.

Money with the other clubs. Well football clubs are always broke at some stage. It's always been that way just now we will still be broke but the players won't be getting as much.

I think the council has finally got out of bed with North and no new building projects for them.

I think the junior situation has improved since the big Vic clubs have gone with absolute domination of the u18 comp.

Don't know too much about the u17 comp and who's struggling for numbers but gee it use to be hard to round up under 18 players that weren't just in it for the piss and just got flogged by the 2 Hamiltons and Portland. Was not good for football

North being financially sound may be able to bring in a couple of marque players each year certainly mean they will be there abouts but could get a local backlash and once that happens you are in strife.

Money with the other clubs. Well football clubs are always broke at some stage. It's always been that way just now we will still be broke but the players won't be getting as much.

I think the council has finally got out of bed with North and no new building projects for them.
Yeah what a JOKE council gave North 200k for there lights & they are only having 1 night game for the year !!!
Would have been better off given each Mount side 50k so they all could have had decent training lights instead.
Night games will never work down here in our climate with the weather we get during winter !!!

well i will have to admit, i thought i would go and watch east and west. for a top team west looked ordinary and east looked the top team. did west have any one out? but to my point that would have to be the worse game of umpiring i have seen, maybe i should not be critical of the MDSE umpires.

well i will have to admit, i thought i would go and watch east and west. for a top team west looked ordinary and east looked the top team. did west have any one out? but to my point that would have to be the worse game of umpiring i have seen, maybe i should not be critical of the MDSE umpires.
Went to have a look at that game as well & would have to say the umpiring was TERRIBLE !!
Did hear West had 3 or 4 out including a couple of there onballers Tom Holmes & Rowan Fox.
East were far more desperate and first to the ball. I don't think the smaller ground and slippery
conditions suited West .

What has happened to jarrod Ryan, has he retired?
Have heard the wbfl have been progressing with pt mac joining the league, any news on this???

thanks classic game was poorly umpired and i see the adviser was there watching, i woonder what his thoughts would be?

Jacka not doing any thing i think his best is past him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the money is killing football full stop . we bag umpires and no young ones coming thru because of that. south west and any other lesser leagues just don't have the umpires [ goal , boundary or central ] we have to supply our own umpires for boundary, goals and reserve central umpires for all our games ,god help us when the older umps that have been around for ever retire .I don't have the answers!!

MDSE dont want millicent as the 3 clubs around millicent dont want them. they would also have to pay a 10k applying fee.
in saying that maybe both leagues should look at a merger....... and yes you can say that the wbfl teams will be to strong.
it will even it self out and also bring up the standards of the mdse teams

MDSE dont want millicent as the 3 clubs around millicent dont want them. they would also have to pay a 10k applying fee.
in saying that maybe both leagues should look at a merger....... and yes you can say that the wbfl teams will be to strong.
it will even it self out and also bring up the standards of the mdse teams

I know there was talk of a applying fee but I thought the sacfl didn't approve it

Interesting the KNTFL cleaned up the WBFL in the inter league comp the demise continues!
West looking like pretenders?
Millicent has to be on the verge of oblivion they kicked 3.10 in all grades to Norths 67.44 on the weekend!
South looks like they could take North out this year?

Last edited:
Interesting the KNTFL cleaned up the WBFL in the inter league comp the demise continues!
West looking like pretenders?
Millicent has to be on the verge of oblivion they kicked 3.10 in all grades to Norths 67.44 on the weekend!
South looks like they could take North out this year?

I heard they only kicked 3 goals for the day and then someone said their u 17s won.
You won't hear much about West for awhile.
Dry day and all stars firing they can still be pretty intimidating.
Not sure South has the X factor they play good solid football well.
North still the team to beat.
Casterton has the whole town on the commitee you'd think Millicent would be the opposite.
Saw the inter league game. Thought it was great. Wbfl was off full strength and I suppose knfl could say the same.
Might get a few if the WBFL players fired up to play now that they aren't top dogs around the place.
Good for footy.

I heard they only kicked 3 goals for the day and then someone said their u 17s won.
You won't hear much about West for awhile.
Dry day and all stars firing they can still be pretty intimidating.
Not sure South has the X factor they play good solid football well.
North still the team to beat.
Casterton has the whole town on the commitee you'd think Millicent would be the opposite.
Saw the inter league game. Thought it was great. Wbfl was off full strength and I suppose knfl could say the same.
Might get a few if the WBFL players fired up to play now that they aren't top dogs around the place.
Good for footy.

Wbfl was not even close to full strength, there were a number of players that normally represent the league that werent there. The kntfl vs wbfl was a high quality game and wbfl had there chances. The wbfl was always going to have trouble finding an opponent for merrett.

ventured down to watch MDSE and if they think they are closing the gap on WBFL they are joking. Umpire to scared to report W McDonald after a late hit and the big usless gasgoine should also been reported for hitting T Sulivan. To see young MR Smith who played WBFL play mate your football has gone a long
Wbfl was not even close to full strength, there were a number of players that normally represent the league that werent there. The kntfl vs wbfl was a high quality game and wbfl had there chances. The wbfl was always going to have trouble finding an opponent for merrett.

went watch a MDSE game again and Big will mcdonald should have been reported as well as gasgoine, umpire to scared. why would young smith from west go there, his footy has gone backwards real quickly.

Heard jackson lock played a game for west. Geez their club must be struggling no wonder Smith and ransom got out of there. West lost their two best coaches and their best mid and also best kid they have. All reports Smith doin well in mse and enjoying being at a club where people wanna be there not because they get paid too much money. umpiring is s**t but league is better. Where will west be next year with selfish wilson gone holmes king mcelroy and morton leaving as well. If it was raining fannies west gambier would get hit by a NTTAWWTter

Heard jackson lock played a game for west. Geez their club must be struggling no wonder Smith and ransom got out of there. West lost their two best coaches and their best mid and also best kid they have. All reports Smith doin well in mse and enjoying being at a club where people wanna be there not because they get paid too much money. umpiring is s**t but league is better. Where will west be next year with selfish wilson gone holmes king mcelroy and morton leaving as well. If it was raining fannies west gambier would get hit by a NTTAWWTter

Where are these players going? Footy is really going backwards in this region considering where it was several years ago. It's no wonder they're trying to promote rugby and get a comp going down here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back