Western Border Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah i didnt know about all this stuff. The comments i'd heard before were more along the lines of a SA/VIC split, prob more pub talk than anything and obviously nothing like that actually ever happened

Rupert you have got to be kidding me! the SW league sabotaged Heywood's recruiting :eek:
great excuse and that is all it is, an excuse for the club to be lazy in recruiting efforts and if you are involved with the club you would either know this as fact or you really dont know at all and just taking a stab at it to put as much blame on someone else.
Why are there all these excuses ALL of the time?
Imperials, Hamilton and Portland didn't struggle at ALL with recruiting or in their seasons did they?
All 3 of these clubs were invited to join a league at the same time, yes the same time as Heywood.
The other team that is talked about being a possible mover is Imps and they had the best recruiting of any team in the league, actually it was probably one of the better recruiting efforts for a long time.

BTW someone told me the other day that there could be some movement at Millicent, they wouldnt tell me anything more and the way they said it eit was like they were suggesting millicent into another league. can someone from that area tell us if there is any talk about that?

While the WBFL remains an entity I don't think Millicent will be going anywhere. There is a quantum difference in Football (and Netball which Millicent excell at). The MSE President is also hostile, not that he'd have much of an option if WB folded, SANFL would have to restructure SE footy, I mean the Mount Clubs and Millicent would have to play somewhere. Judging by the SE Times Millicent have mulled over the "what ifs" they are right smack bang in the middle of the MSE, three clubs within 20 k's so handy, but it won't be Millicent that destroys the WBFL. Those Vic clubs or persons in them that are flip flopping want to look at the heart the Lions have shown.

Rupert you have got to be kidding me! the SW league sabotaged Heywood's recruiting :eek:
great excuse and that is all it is, an excuse for the club to be lazy in recruiting efforts and if you are involved with the club you would either know this as fact or you really dont know at all and just taking a stab at it to put as much blame on someone else.
Imperials, Hamilton and Portland didn't struggle at ALL with recruiting or in their seasons did they?
All 3 of these clubs were invited to join a league at the same time, yes the same time as Heywood.
The other team that is talked about being a possible mover is Imps and they had the best recruiting of any team in the league, actually it was probably one of the better recruiting efforts for a long time.

BTW someone told me the other day that there could be some movement at Millicent, they wouldnt tell me anything more and the way they said it eit was like they were suggesting millicent into another league. can someone from that area tell us if there is any talk about that?

would make it hard to get big name players on long term deals when stories circulate about possible moves to lower standard leagues.

Don't remember using the word sabotage, but do you think their timing was nothing more than coincidence? Yes, Heywood is not the best club in the WBFL in terms of administration which has hindered the clubs recruiting, thats no secret, but the club spoke to heaps of names during the off season with little luck, including players from other WBFL clubs in both Vic and SA. Its too easy to call them lazy just because they're on the bottom of the ladder.

Having the club constantly linked to the SW doesn't help when trying to recruit leading players. A good player is more likely to go to Portland with the prospect of playing long term in a major league (regardless of whether it is WBFL or Hampden), than go to Heywood with rumours about the club dropping to district league level. Admittedly, Portland & Hamilton got on the front foot last year and said in the papers they had no intention of switching leagues and thus stopping any rumours, something Heywood should have done too.

Interesting with Millicent. Never saw Mid South East as an option for them, too strong and couldn't see MSE clubs wanting them.

While the WBFL remains an entity I don't think Millicent will be going anywhere. There is a quantum difference in Football (and Netball which Millicent excell at). The MSE President is also hostile, not that he'd have much of an option if WB folded, SANFL would have to restructure SE footy, I mean the Mount Clubs and Millicent would have to play somewhere. Judging by the SE Times Millicent have mulled over the "what ifs" they are right smack bang in the middle of the MSE, three clubs within 20 k's so handy, but it won't be Millicent that destroys the WBFL. Those Vic clubs or persons in them that are flip flopping want to look at the heart the Lions have shown.
Mate you obviously have no knowledge of the wbfl, this is the third time imperials have applied to leave this league, if the sa clubs havent worked it out yet, all vic teams take great pride and care to look after there under 18 teams, so that they will play senior footy with the various clubs. Have a look at the history of the under 18 comp, how many sa under 18 teams have one a premiership? all the sa teams talk about going to u17\u19 comps. well the vcfl have a very successful TAC comp that is under 18, so that is a major problem. Obviously footy sa and vcfl going in different directions! i know which side i would want to be on.

Writing is on the wall for WBFL, 2 options, be proactive or be reactive!!!!!

Mate you obviously have no knowledge of the wbfl, this is the third time imperials have applied to leave this league, if the sa clubs havent worked it out yet, all vic teams take great pride and care to look after there under 18 teams, so that they will play senior footy with the various clubs. Have a look at the history of the under 18 comp, how many sa under 18 teams have one a premiership? all the sa teams talk about going to u17\u19 comps. well the vcfl have a very successful TAC comp that is under 18, so that is a major problem. Obviously footy sa and vcfl going in different directions! i know which side i would want to be on.

Writing is on the wall for WBFL, 2 options, be proactive or be reactive!!!!!

Wow! that got a bite! a big snapper! I'll have a snap over who's got more pride snap, snap I'll have a snap at under 18's snap, snap I'll have a snap at any other wildly unconnected thing. All I was saying was that I don't think Millicent will be going anywhere ('cos someone wondered) and that the current speculation and consequent instability is not coming from them.

Don't remember using the word sabotage, but do you think their timing was nothing more than coincidence? Yes, Heywood is not the best club in the WBFL in terms of administration which has hindered the clubs recruiting, thats no secret, but the club spoke to heaps of names during the off season with little luck, including players from other WBFL clubs in both Vic and SA. Its too easy to call them lazy just because they're on the bottom of the ladder.

Having the club constantly linked to the SW doesn't help when trying to recruit leading players. A good player is more likely to go to Portland with the prospect of playing long term in a major league (regardless of whether it is WBFL or Hampden), than go to Heywood with rumours about the club dropping to district league level. Admittedly, Portland & Hamilton got on the front foot last year and said in the papers they had no intention of switching leagues and thus stopping any rumours, something Heywood should have done too.

Interesting with Millicent. Never saw Mid South East as an option for them, too strong and couldn't see MSE clubs wanting them.

Its not just Millicent. The SE Times article asked what would happen if the WBFL folded. If after all these years of rumours the Vic clubs went their own way. Where does Millicent and the Mount then play footy? Just cos the Vic clubs abandon ship doesn't mean that SA clubs have to sell the goal posts. Their answer was that a two division competition be set up in the South East. Maybe include Penola and Kingston even Naracoorte I can't remember the exact detail. SANFL would have to step in and sort it out because no matter what the MSE thinks Footy and its survival comes first.

Wow! that got a bite! a big snapper! I'll have a snap over who's got more pride snap, snap I'll have a snap at under 18's snap, snap I'll have a snap at any other wildly unconnected thing. All I was saying was that I don't think Millicent will be going anywhere ('cos someone wondered) and that the current speculation and consequent instability is not coming from them.

you said that it will be the victorian clubs that are "flip flopping" around that will destroy the wbfl, from that you could assume you where directing your comments at imperials. Would suggest the u18 competition and its lack of importance to sa sides is a huge factor in imperials wanting to move to hampden. lastly you mention about showing some heart, its not about heart, its about making decisions for the future survival of a football club. obviously you are a fisherman, suggest you stick to it.:)

Such a hostile thread this one.

You can't say the SA clubs don't care about the U18s. Let's use Millicent as an example (since Blozin is from Hatherleigh). Millicent have Bennett, Pat Contin and Weir who have gone onto higher honours and represented Glenelg this year. Discounting the WBFL Interleague team, I don't recall any Imps players going onto higher honours, unless you include Linke who is more a Penshurst player than an Imps player. On that basis, I could try arguing that Millicent has been more successful at developing their juniors in 08 than Imps as they've had more players go onto higher honours this year (I won't argue that point though!!). North Gambier has won 3 games in two years in the U18s, yet they're fielding two Under 16 (? or U14) teams in the local junior competition.

Yes, Imps do a great job with their juniors and they say that Cleaver is brilliant, but to say that the SA clubs don't care is a bit rich. Portland, Hamilton and Imps dominating the U18s is helped by the fact there is no competition for U18 players in Victoria, unlike SA where the MSE all have their underage teams. There is a bottleneck after U16 level in Hamilton. Give Mininera and South West an U17 comp and I'm tipping that Imps wouldn't have 40 players to choose from every weekend.

Anyway, who is to say that Hampden have a higher priority on the U18s than the SA clubs? Since 1995, the Hampden U18 premierships have been won by South Warrnambool (x7), Warrnambool (x3), Colac (no longer in the comp) and Terang (x1). Appears to be a similar record to the WBFL Under 18 competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a hostile thread this one.

You can't say the SA clubs don't care about the U18s. Let's use Millicent as an example (since Blozin is from Hatherleigh). Millicent have Bennett, Pat Contin and Weir who have gone onto higher honours and represented Glenelg this year. Discounting the WBFL Interleague team, I don't recall any Imps players going onto higher honours, unless you include Linke who is more a Penshurst player than an Imps player. On that basis, I could try arguing that Millicent has been more successful at developing their juniors in 08 than Imps as they've had more players go onto higher honours this year (I won't argue that point though!!). North Gambier has won 3 games in two years in the U18s, yet they're fielding two Under 16 (? or U14) teams in the local junior competition.

Yes, Imps do a great job with their juniors and they say that Cleaver is brilliant, but to say that the SA clubs don't care is a bit rich. Portland, Hamilton and Imps dominating the U18s is helped by the fact there is no competition for U18 players in Victoria, unlike SA where the MSE all have their underage teams. There is a bottleneck after U16 level in Hamilton. Give Mininera and South West an U17 comp and I'm tipping that Imps wouldn't have 40 players to choose from every weekend.

Anyway, who is to say that Hampden have a higher priority on the U18s than the SA clubs? Since 1995, the Hampden U18 premierships have been won by South Warrnambool (x7), Warrnambool (x3), Colac (no longer in the comp) and Terang (x1). Appears to be a similar record to the WBFL Under 18 competition.

i agree there mate minera league only has a u/16 competition raise that to under 17 or even under 18 and that would take alot of depth out of the 2 hamilton sides

i agree there mate minera league only has a u/16 competition raise that to under 17 or even under 18 and that would take alot of depth out of the 2 hamilton sides

all maybes and what ifs!!! not going to happen. just shows that the structure u14, u16,u18 works within the vcfl system. the end result is u18 tac cup, cant have half the league going one way and the other going the other, just another reason to move to hampden. full credit to both hamilton teams that they develop good under 18 teams, it doesnt happen by accident.

all maybes and what ifs!!! not going to happen. just shows that the structure u14, u16,u18 works within the vcfl system. the end result is u18 tac cup, cant have half the league going one way and the other going the other, just another reason to move to hampden. full credit to both hamilton teams that they develop good under 18 teams, it doesnt happen by accident.

Don’t quite understand this. The SA clubs play a junior comp U12, U14, U16. Can Imps do that? The MSE thinks it’s a Godsend because their age structure and month cut off means that they can lure the top age kids away. Can you tell me where do the Hamilton clubs get all their U18’s from? I do notice the ease of transfer between leagues, can’t happen in SA. Imps problem is with Hamilton, not the WBFL, go get yourself your own home ground. By the way Millicent won the U18 flag in 2001.

this topic took a quick turn
if you look back imps, hamilton, portland have won nine of the last 12 premierships in the u18 comp
hamilton will win it this year meaning 10 of the last 13
you can only see the gap for imps and hamilton with warrnambool now with the rebels

oh and outside of south gambier and the vic clubs just mentioned who was the last senior side to win the premiership?
you have to go all the way back to 1990 when casterton won it

this topic took a quick turn
if you look back imps, hamilton, portland have won nine of the last 12 premierships in the u18 comp
hamilton will win it this year meaning 10 of the last 13
you can only see the gap for imps and hamilton with warrnambool now with the rebels

oh and outside of south gambier and the vic clubs just mentioned who was the last senior side to win the premiership?
you have to go all the way back to 1990 when casterton won it
last time i looked on my map casterton were in victoria. it's like going into sa though when u play there.:D:D:D

last time i looked on my map casterton were in victoria. it's like going into sa though when u play there.:D:D:D

i'm sorry i didnt think i said casterton were in sa.
i was merely pointing out that the three vic clubs imps, hamilton and portland have such a wide gap between them and every1 else.

btw that south era was the best i have ever seen in country footy truly amazing stuff

Ok we are down to the serious stuff now. Two questions: Can anyone beat Portland for the premiership and Marcus England for the WBFL Medal.

Ok we are down to the serious stuff now. Two questions: Can anyone beat Portland for the premiership and Marcus England for the WBFL Medal.

East, should they get there... and nope. Marcus with a good yr. Going to be hard to topple.

Bit of a arm wrestler for that goalkicking spot wasnt there. The two bussled it out and in the end the more experienced prevailed.

Don’t quite understand this. The SA clubs play a junior comp U12, U14, U16. Can Imps do that? The MSE thinks it’s a Godsend because their age structure and month cut off means that they can lure the top age kids away. Can you tell me where do the Hamilton clubs get all their U18’s from? I do notice the ease of transfer between leagues, can’t happen in SA. Imps problem is with Hamilton, not the WBFL, go get yourself your own home ground. By the way Millicent won the U18 flag in 2001.

both hamilton and portland have there own junior competitions. 6 teams in the portland comp 1 being heywood and 1 being heathmere 4 based out of portland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back